Vega 64 overheating when "high" fps

Associate
Check GameMax F15. I'm willing to bet that case would drop your temps by 10c. It has 200mm fans.
They push a lot of air and have low rpm. Low noise.

Another reasonable option is Be quiet, pure base 500.

Phantex p400 .

To be fair any case with at least 2 front fans and mesh will do.

Common sense should tell : 80c g card and 60c cup and no air flow is a recipe for disaster.

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm definitely getting a new case. Had a day off gaming yday but fired her up again today. Cover on, hot spot of GPU gets to 85c and general temp 70c and it shuts down the game. Taken the cover off and gets to 70c or so and game runs fine.

I'll look in to the options you guys have laid out. Again, thank you everyone for chiming in and helping with this issue.

Pet Northerner
Don
Yeah I'm definitely getting a new case. Had a day off gaming yday but fired her up again today. Cover on, hot spot of GPU gets to 85c and general temp 70c and it shuts down the game. Taken the cover off and gets to 70c or so and game runs fine.

I'll look in to the options you guys have laid out. Again, thank you everyone for chiming in and helping with this issue.

Let us know how you get on! Remmeber, mesh front with intake fans :)

Associate
OP
Ok gentlemen, I'm back!

Went for the F15. Very happy with how it looks so far, although having a few problems.

Spent all day gutting the old chasis and loading the new one up. Everything seemed to be going well and it wasn't as hard as I had first imagined.

All turns on great, windows loads, only thing is, the fans don't spin! Ha. I took out the fan from my old machine and stuck it to the roof of the new one, put it in fan slot 2, and it works fine. The other three (two at front and one at back) are just lifeless. I had a look in the Bios and couldn't do anything from there.

I have a feeling it's probably something to do with the hub on the side of the case, where all the leads go in to?

https://imgur.com/a/4NVLj13

It's interesting because the remote doesn't even work at all. The lights don't change, the fans don't turn on. I imagine it's something laughably simple, and I'm going to run away in embarrassment, but any ideas what could be going on here guys? I'm exhausted! Not sure how people do this for a living lol.

PS I've stuck the old fan on the roof of this new one, blowing air out of the case, not in to it. Sounds right?

Associate
I would highly recommend starting from scratch with the wiring and use the cable management the case provides. See the big gaps next to the motherboard in the case? There will be similar ones at the bottom near the PSU so you can route all the cables around the back of the case. This looks much nicer, and is a bit better for airflow as you don't have cables in the way.

Look at the bottom of the controller, looks like it says power there with nothing connected?

Associate
OP
That's a very good point, and I had seen that connector and completely forgotten about it. Don't remember it coming with a cable though?

Yeah I was gonna sort the cables after, just wanted to make sure I was actually capable of wiring it up correctly.

Associate
It's probably a standard Molex or SATA power cable, which your PSU will have. If your PSU is modular you may need to find another cable for it.

Molex is the big 4 pin one, so looking at the size of that hub I'd guess it's SATA power which is the one with the L shape connector.

If its not that then there should be an adapter for it somewhere so it takes Molex or SATA.

SATA:
6nzWitd.png

Molex:
SDkLx1e.jpg

Associate
I dont have this case , so I dont know were to plug the fans into but,
Sound like u haven't connected the fan control box.
It's that simple.

All three fans are connected to the box. All u have to do is figure out how to provide power to the box.

Once u have to fans going do some testing and report the temps.

Edit. Just opened the picture on pc and i can see cleary.

There is a black box nied your hard drive. it has a word power writen. can you provide power to that box from your power supply. That should kick in big fans.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well you can all have a laugh at me, I certainly have, it was the power cable for the hub! All working now. I tidied up the cables a bit too.

Will get some pics and temps tomorrow. Looks so much better than that last hunk of junk.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Random Matt - My games were crashing with the side panel on and fans on full blast - my case was a furnace. Games weren't crashing with the panels off and more airflow. So I'm gonna see how my blue screens/game crashes go now with this cool case.

Associate
OP
https://imgur.com/a/tBkhjdv

Absolutely gorgeous. Glass panel is cool as well. Great playing with the colours.

CPU and GPU currently sitting at 35C, which is something that I don't think ever happened in the old case.

Tidied up the cables a bit... lol

Will get some gaming temps tomorrow.

Associate
Do some testing.
I'm really interested in this case myself.
Planning on building a tower later this year.
Please provide a brief description about fan noises.

Associate
OP
Do some testing.
I'm really interested in this case myself.
Planning on building a tower later this year.
Please provide a brief description about fan noises.

Looks to be about 10c cooler across the board.

https://imgur.com/a/FRYe6It

I haven't done any gfx intense battles yet, this is just basically running around Witcher 3. No crashes yet.

Considering the size of the fans I am pleasantly surprised how quiet it is. I've got everything running stock. I wouldn't say it's any louder than my previous closed case with one crappy fan at the back. I now have three more in this case.

Back
Top Bottom