Very bad day.

Soldato
Got in a mild disagreement with some protestors today. Came home, got ready for work, went in to work only to find out that out of the almost 100 employees, only 15 are staying on. The rest of us got laid off today. Hence why I am home to post this when I'm normally at work....

Found out that one of the people staying has one third the seniority I do, does less than half the work, has a severe attendance problem, an attitude problem, and is what you folks would call a chav.

Why does he get to stay and I'm laid off? His father is a supervisor there.

Oh, well. Came home and looked up on the Minnesota employment website and found a listing gone up today for a journeyman electrician. $36K-$50K pay and benefits (I'm struggling to make $23K where I just got laid off from). Going to talk to the (hopefully) future bossman tomorrow. He sounded hopeful after hearing of my electrical experience in the navy and my ability to wire my own house up, so it sounds good. Just hoping I'm more of a candidate than anyone else who applies......

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the kind words, folks. I've still got until the end of the week at Woodmaster, then I can apply for unemployment if nothing else comes along.

The slightly depressing bit is that both mine and my wife's schedules worked out almost perfect with each other. Any other job I get is most likely going to conflict with hers.

The one good thing is if I can get the sparky job, she'll be able to pretty much quit her job and we'll financially be in the same boat we are now.

So hopefully all your well-wishing has a good effect!! :)

Thanks again for listening to my sob story. I really do appreciate all the good "vibes". ;)

One bad side to it all is it appears the added stress has made my psoriasis act up again..... :(

P.S. The company owners really winced when I muttered something to the effect of, "Merry ****ing Christmas to us, huh?"

Soldato
OP
Tesla said:
Best of luck, I have always thought you were a genuinely nice bloke so I am sure you will do well with any jobs you apply for.

Wish this were true, but it appears that nice guys finish last...... ;)

Anyways, appears the guy is pretty busy at the moment as he wasn't in again today. Left another message and hopefully will get to talk to him on the weekend.

One thing that might be good is if I go on a short stint on unemployment is to finally get the chance to catch up on my Honey-do(tm) list around here. Got about 3 months worth of work to do on the house, about two weeks worth to do on the three cars, and about 6 months worth to do on the garage. Should be able to catch most of it up in about a week or two.... :D

Back
Top Bottom