very chuffed with my 3700+ but.....

Soldato
well 1st off what a great chip this E4 sandy is....

currently at 2.8ghz at stock vaultage (actually a little over according to my asus probe - 1.42 - 1.44 vaults.

further to yesterdays mail about heat, i am assured that my temps will drop once the arctic cooler cement beds in, currently at 53degs under full load, but am told i can expect to get that under 50 degress as soon as she is bedded in. if not i will reseat it with arctic silver.

anyway, my only minor gripe is i am having to use my 5/6 divider with my ram.

it is the G-skill standard 2gb ddr500 ram from overclockers, and it appears it should be running ok at the standard 1:1 with a 250mhz fsb.

sadly it is very flaky when i do that :/

now if it cant be fixed i am not bothered, this is the fasted computer i have ever used, but if i can get it quicker why not.

my motherboard is a brand new asus a8n-sli premium. it doesnt state the memory dividers (its a bit odd) for 1:1 you select ddr400, 5:6 ddr333 etc.

i selected the 1:1 DDR 400, and wacked the fsb to 250, but under prime it failed within 5 mins, and it couldnt complete a round of 3d mark.

at current speed - (2805) with the 5:6 rati0 the ram is at 425mhz and it seems rock stable.... but it is meant to be ddr500 ram.

i know other things can affect it, motherboard stability at haight fsb's etc but i would have thought that should be ok at these relatively low levels.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mikey1280 said:
What timings are voltage is the ram at and what are the stock timings/voltage

this is what the ram is
G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000

Package : 2048MB kit (2x1GB) dual channel pack
- CAS Latency : 3-4-4-8 (PC4000)
- Test Voltage : 2.6~2.8 V
- PCB Board : 6 Layers PCB
- Speed : DDR 500MHz (PC4000)
- Type : 184-pin DDR SDRAM
- Error Checking : Non-ECC
- Registered/Unbuffered : Unbuffered

from oc uk.

and that is what i run her at.

3-4-4-8
Row cycle time 16T
refresh cycle time 18T
read to wrtite time 6T
Write recover time 2T
1T/2T memory timeing 2T
Hyper Transport Auto
Auto DDR Voltage (tho i hear this ram is not over volt friendly)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
jidh007 said:
How does dropping hypertransport help? Will it sort memory problems out?

It will certainly make the system more stable. 250mhz bus speed x5 puts it quite a way out of spec. x4 takes it back to 1000mhz, which would be right on the money.

Soldato
OP
JRS said:
It will certainly make the system more stable. 250mhz bus speed x5 puts it quite a way out of spec. x4 takes it back to 1000mhz, which would be right on the money.

sadly no joy..... knocked back to 4 and still froze.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
bigmike20vt said:
sadly no joy..... knocked back to 4 and still froze.

Can you manually set your RAM voltage to 2.8V? I know my G.Skill is happy with that voltage through it, maybe the auto voltage setting isn't sending enough power that way. The DDR spec is for 2.5V stock usually (that seems to be what all my mobos have used) and G.Skill usually state 2.6-2.8V being optimal.

Grasping at straws here really, but it's the only thing I can think of right now :)

Soldato
OP
Dutch Guy said:
Run at 1T, it is up to 10% faster.

Memory instability can be caused by the mobo, BIOS version, PSU, heat, memoryslots and ........

hi

managed to push my memory times a bit... have given up on ddr500 now, as it isnt happeneing even with more juice.

still with 1T mem timings, as well as pushing the others a bit i am getting 8730 on 3d mark 05 which i think is ok for now :)

Soldato
Don't spend too much time fiddling with timings as they are not that important and the differences are small in real world applications and games as long as you run 1T and either run 200Mhz with tight(ish) timings or >230Mhz with slacker timings

Back
Top Bottom