Very high 3080 VRAM temps, anyway to fix it?

Associate
I recently managed to get a 3080 FE for my new pc, however I have noticed very high temperatures for the GDDR6X VRAM with it reaching up to 106 degrees Celsius, I primarily use it for gaming but I want to mine on it while im not playing games to make some money back on the purchase however I am concerned such high temps will damage the card in the long run so wanted to check if anyone had a practical solution short of watercooling it?
I have already attempted undervolting without the desired results, it only ends up reducing the core temp however that is not much of an issue as that tends to never go over 65-70 anyway.

Associate
OP
take the card apart and put some premium thermal pads on. and set higher fan speed and ensure nice cold air is flowing over the GPU fans.

thats all you can do. these VRAM are meant to get pretty hot. even under water i imagine they will get hot as well
that seems to be the general consensus i found online after a bit of research, will thermal grizzly minus pad 8s be good enough or should I try and find some gp ultimate or something similar?

Associate
OP
i can confirm under water on my 3090 fe my core sits around 48-55 in games at 2070mhz and my ram runs at 72-75 with a oc applied @10750mhz, backplate on my bitspower block is quite warm when the card gets going, all via hwinfo64 latest version that added memory temp for gpu's :).

plus mining for any kind of duration will affect the card's performance by anything upto 10%, meaning the card can be 10% slower due to mining, i really wouldn't think of doing that as your loosing vital frames in games
from what ive seen i think the thermal limit is 110 degrees so i wouldnt be surprised if it got to that(if u tried mining) so it might be worth not mining on it. 3090 VRAM cooling is supposed to be better though

Associate
OP
Those pads seems to be the prevailing choice. But you void your warranty by doing that. So weigh that up before you go down that path.
oh? does removing the shroud and backplate remove the warranty? i couldnt actually find much information online regarding founders edition cards

Associate
OP
That’s why there is a big big price increase for GPUs come out of the factory with water blocks and back plates that have manufacturer warranty.

for all the custom water cooling guys ripping the shiny RTX 30 HSF off to put on EK blocks and saving a few hundred quid they are basically doing it with the knowledge of things go wrong with the card, they will likely have to take that loss themselves. Thus the original HSF is kept in near vacuum state in case of the fateful day. But if you get water damage on it, you are out of luck even if you didn’t touch the card.
that makes sense

Associate
OP
You could also just pull the core clock down as far as afterburner allows and drop power limit down to until vram temps are good. Selct a static fan speed that you are happy with and save it as your mining profile.

Your hash rate will be lower, but so will your temps.
In the past I have lowered the core clock and set a 70% TDP, however it seems to only bring down the temperatures by 1 or 2 degrees

Back
Top Bottom