Very odd issue (Asus G73JH)

Soldato
Ok here goes.
My bro had an old G73JH laptop lieing around Specs

i7 Q720
AMD 5870 mobile GPU 1GB
8GB ram ETC ETC

OK sooooo when i got it I had issues installing windows and all sorts of read write errors..
well I took it apart and found the ribbon cable that connects to the little sata connectors was shredded so I got another 24pin ribbon cable (not the actuall part for it but another 24 pin 0.5 ribbon cable.

So installed that and bam spot on no more errors.

Used laptop for a while and BOOM BSOD GOD DAMN IT so thought ok.

I then took did a memory test and windows mem test would say hardware errors SOME TIMES at 39% way through mem test.

I checked ALL ram sticks none are faulty and found out its actually a RAM slot on the motherboard and IF I dont put a RAM stick in that slot the test goes with out errors so ok I did this for 8hrs and all was fine I thought great not fixed it but ya know should be ok now just dont use that slot.

NOPE boom same issue same error.

Thing is its very very random I mean I have ran benchmarks,I have killed the CPU and GPU at the same time using all sorts of stress tests and never does it I have gamed and all is fine...

But now and then random BSOD when looking through the net,might have done it once when gaming,looking through steam store etc etc..

I am stumped here realy am

here is the latest errors I have gotten..44

https://i.imgur.com/oyA48rS.png

any help would be amazing as when this thing is working oh its so nice to have a latop I can just fire up a simple game on instead of my main rig..

Thanks in advance all

P.S

I installed sharx and wrote this out on the laptop in question not one issue its just so damn random :(

Soldato
OP
Hmmmm ok its done it again today when watching Youtube :(

Temps are fine UNLESS the GPU memory is getting hot but I dont think it causes this over heating video memory normally causes artifacts on the screen?.

I think the Motherboard is just dieing :(

Soldato
OP
Still doing it :(

https://i.imgur.com/wuDcIKA.png

I went a whole day once and it was fine.
I did remove and reseat the ram that day.

But then the next day still happens its so random one minute I think its fixed and BOOM :(.

Does any one understand how to find out whats causing it by the crash logs?....

I think its just a dodgy motherboard... ram slots maybe? no idea.

But IF some one would take a peek at the logs and see if there is some thing silly going on that would be amazeing :).

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Hi thanks for replying.
Yeah I did look at this a while ago there is also talks of the machine when being in c6 state I think? ne of the C states any ways that can cause issues as well...
So I followed the instructions to install some thing called throttle stop... went a whole day but still did it the next day.

I have not instaled the GPU bios update suppose it wont hurt...( i have installed the latest BIOS for the machine I am on 213 I think the latest is.)

Suppose I shall install the BIOS for this GPU and give it a go though they say the issue with the GPU causes GSOD I only ever get BSOD.

Any way I shall install that BIOS and see.

Thanks again :)

STAY SAFE ALL

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
UPDATE

OK flashed the od2.bat and lets just see how we get on :).

Im not very confident though as I really do think its more of a ram slot issue but hey ho ya never know :)

Soldato
OP
So far today has been ok no BSOD.
But I have had days like that before.

Wonder if when I did the MEM test it checks video memory as well??? any one know if thats the case? (built in windows mem test).

Any way shall keep you all updated.

Soldato
OP
OK update again on this I am thinking its to do with the network card or around that area.
I was downloading again and boom BSOD and looking at my last post I had BSOD also when downloading so.

I am looking into new drivers,Physical connection as the RJ45 pins on closer inpection look a bit crusty (this is my bros old laptop and I think he had it stored in the garage for a while so makes sense it may have got damp and made some parts a little crusty/rust.

Will keep you all update for those who are even interested any ways LOLOL.

Would a network issue (driver ETC ETC) cause a MEMTEST in some slots though to fail...I am thinking this laptop has a few issues not just the one ah well.

Thanks again all stay safe

Back
Top Bottom