Video capture problem using S-video port?

Associate
Hi I am not sure if this is a hardware or software issue but any help would be great.. Here goes...

My girlfriend has all these old 8mm tapes that she cant play as she has broken her camcorder so now I am trying to get the videos off the tapes and on to my computer so she can see them again as there very important to her. I have borrowed a mates camcorder that plays these tapes and im trying to capture the video to my pc through the S-Video input on my ATI X800GTO the problem is windows movie maker will not show anything and anther app that I have used is only showing the video in low res and black and white! So the question is what (Freeware or shareware) software should I be using and why is the video only showing in black and white low res?

Thanks for any help you can give me

If i remember correctly, when s-video plays in black and white it means its not supported by the device. Same thing happens if you put a dvd player to s-video mode on a old tv (which doesnt have s-video).

It would seem odd that the graphics card doesnt support it when it has an s-video port. But then the same goes with the camcorder. I remember having a lot of trouble with a similar problem a few years back.
Ended up using composite instead, wasnt too bad quality as I was compressing the video anyway.

Thanks for that graeme that made me get thinking about something not being supported and I remembered the thing about America use NTSC and not PAL which we use and went in to the settings and found it was not set to PAl so its all fixed now thanks mate

Back
Top Bottom