Video Editing: An easy way, Is there such a thing?

Soldato
I used to do a little bit of video editing years ago with Power Director. It did the job, but even making a short clip was a chore and took ages.

I've now started filming with a gopro, and I'm looking to edit the footage into small clips to upload for easy viewing. I paraglide and it looks great in 4K, but I only need clips of a few seconds each, and at quite specific moments, lots added up to make my film.

The thing is.... Unless I'm missing something, things haven't got any easier to do this, it still takes bloomin ages to find the small section of footage, then trim, add to time line, move on repeat.... get bored...give up etc..

I tried GoPro's own Quik, and my word what a mess! It seems to do its own thing and gives you very little freedom. But it has the right idea in terms of just grabbing a small bit and adding to your film. It only seems to do up to a minute, and 4k output is shocking quality (lot of users complaining about that)

What I would ideally like to do is just play back my recorded footage and while I'm watching press and hold a button (space bar for example) and that period/clip is added to the time line to make up my film automatically. So for example if I press 20 times, those 20 clips are added. Then I can move onto titles etc..

Is there such a thing?

Or can anyone recommend an easy method for short film making without it taking hours and hours, with high quality results.

Many Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input chaps.
It looks like perhaps I was a bit naive to think software had made this job easier with the passing of time, especially nowadays with every man and his dog is filming and uploading :D

It's not as if I'm wanting anything broadcast quality, just brief moments, assembled into a short movie, that runs and looks good on YouTube.

I've hopefully got a fast enough PC for my little editing needs, it's a Ryzen 2700x with 16GB of fast ram, and a couple of 870Evo Ssd's. And it does seem to munch through 4k video in reasonable time. Although this is the first time I've seen nearly all the ram consumed!

I have come across a tidy little program called Openshot, which works quite will will for my small needs. II' still playing with it's features.

https://www.openshot.org

A quick edit.

Mick

Back
Top Bottom