Video editing and graphics cards

Associate
Hi All

I'm looking at getting a laptop to do some video editing in Sony vegas & after effects. I'm on a limited budget. I would like to know if a dedicated graphics card is required and what the cons of not having one would be
I.e would the software not work. Would it slightly slow it down or greatly slow it down etc. As you can probably tell I'm not too knowledgeable on tech so any help is appreciated.

Also the system I am looking at is below. Is it sufficient?

Intel i5 8250u
Intel HD 620

Thanks

For a Laptop an i7 CPU is what I would be looking for as they always have 4 Cores and 8 Threads in the newer models..
Some i5's I believe now have 4 cores but I cant be certain on that. 4 Cores and 8 Threads would be much quicker and efficient for rendering videos and while editing.

Integrating Graphic in CPU's is fairly good now so i don't think you would need a dedicated GPU for just video editing and rendering. It could help with speeds and rendering. But its more for playback than processing.

In my opinion one is not needed. And if you are on a budget its highly unlike you will find an affordable one with dedicated graphics.

Check the system requirements published for the apps. Intel CPUs from the last few generations have a feature called QuickSync which accelerates video encoding/decoding for popular formats. After Effects may require an nVidia GPU if you require support for CUDA processing.

Dedicated graphics can be beneficial, but since you're on a limited budget you'd have to give up CPU horsepower, RAM, build quality, or other parts that are more important.
Iin your case I don't think it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom