Video Editing/game build under £1000

Associate
I've been looking at upgrading an old desktop I've had, unused, at my parents house and thinking of bringing it home and building a video editing/gaming setup as I'm fed up editing on a laptop!
I also get the spare room to myself

I'll mainly be using it for video editing (some 4k but not much), some photo retouching and a little gaming at 1080p only.

From my old setup I have:

Case: Fractel Design R2 Black Pearl
PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P7 850w
SSD: Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2 128GB
Monitor: Samsung SM2494HM 1080p

I'll be keeping the above and replacing the SSD after the new year if I run out of space using it as a scratch disk. I may also get a smaller case later on so will probably want a mATX or even mITX board.

So, I need a mATX/mITX board that has an M.2 nvme slot for a future SSD and one that preferably has WiFi built in. A bonus would be supporting 64gb or ram too but I think 32gb is enough for me.

I need 32gb or ram and a CPU/GPU that plays well with DaVinci Resolve and gets decent frame rates in most games at 1080p.

For storage I was thinking at least a 4tb HDD and if I can keep within budget 2 of them in raid 1 for a bit more security.

Any help would be appreciated! It's a good 8 years since I've done my own build and I'm a little out of the loop!

Thanks for the replies. Some of the stuff in that list is what I was looking at. I think having 2 4TB hdds in raid 1 is essential for me until I get an external backup drive so with a little tweaking I've come up with this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £944.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)

I've upgraded the CPU from the 1700 and downgraded the GPU so I can fit in the two hdds into my budget. I've heard that CPU performance is more important than GPU speeds for video editing (I've found that with Adobe Premiere) but not sure if Davinci Resolve utilizes the GPU better.

Will there be a huge difference in games between the 1070ti and RX 580 if I'm just gaming at 1080p? Thanks!​

Back
Top Bottom