Vietnam on the 24th May

Soldato
So I am off to Vietnam with a mate on the 24th of May.

As I am joining up with him and his mates I haven't planned this holiday.

I believe the current plan is to fly to Hanoi on the 24th.

We are meeting some friends that live in Hanoi and I believe the plan is to do Da Nang and Ha Long with them until the 31st.

My flight from Hanoi to London is on the 9th of June.

So I have about 1 week to kill. I was planning to go to Phu Quoc and luckily it has an airport.

Has anyone been to Phu Quoc before? Any recommendations where to go and where to stay?

Where would you go with 1 week spare in Vietnam? Is Ho Chi Ming City worth a visit?

Soldato
OP
I like the look of Ninh Binh! Any thing close to Hanoi is good for us as that's where I will be initially based.

I imagine Ninh Binh is drivable from Hanoi?

In order to get the most out of it I image I will have to book a tour with a travel guide?

How long would you spend in Ninh Binh?

Also is it safe to assume we can turn up on the day and find somewhere to stay or do we need to book in advance?

---

As for a beach place we just want some where nice with decent beaches and bars in the evening. Any recommendations?

AS mentioned above if Phu Quoc is dirty then I was thinking of just flying to Phuket, but I've been Thailand twice before, so any where else in Vietnam worth a visit?

---

And you say Ho Chi Ming is worth a visit? But isn't it much the same as Hanoi?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I thought Phu Quoc would be similar to places in Thailand. I.e you can just rock up one day and find some where to stay?

By the sounds of it Phu Puoc is more of a hotel/resort destination not for the random backpacker?

Ninh Binh looks great tho but how many days do you think one should stay?

With one week, we can probably do Ninh Binh and then get a flight from Hanoi to HMC and back again to Hanoi for our flight to London.

---

Is Phu Quoc worth a visit?

With one week to spare located in Hanoi what would you do?

Can we fit in Ninh Binh, HMC and Phu Quoc in 7 days?

I think actually we might be able to. From the 31st to the 9th we are free. My flight back to London is on the 9th (1am on a Sunday). So if we do 2 days in Ninh Binh, flight to HMC do maybe 2 days and then fly to Phu Quoc for 4.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So from this thread what I've gathered is the following:

HCMC and Hoi An are a must.

Con Dao is good if we want beach.

---

I do believe earlier on in the holiday we will be going to Ly Son so maybe we will have our fair share of beach there.

With essentially 8 days is it possible to go Ninh Binh - Hoi An - HCMC and then back to Hanoi?

Ninh Binh and HCMC are doable as Ninh Binh is not far from Hanoi and we can fly direct to HCMC from Hanoi but Hoi An is right in the middle of the country. I don't think with 8 days we can make the trip to all three. (I am being told we will be near to Hoi An at one point so may get a few hours to walk around town)

Lets say we do decide just to do a few days in Ninh Binh and a few days in HCMC. Is there anything within a few hours of HCMC worth seeing?

I get the vibe Ninh Binh will be very very quite.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom