Vietnam

Soldato
Hi all,

We (my brother and I) left it quite late to book our holiday (Malaysia -> Thailand -> Vietnam -> Home via Malaysia), and flying out in a couple of weeks! :D
We still need to book some of the smaller flights (doing so this weekend), but we'll be spending a full 9 or 10 days, plus 2 half days (flying days), in Vietnam.

What do you recommend for itinerary? We aren't fussed about night life or beach time, just general see the culture/history, we enjoy our food.

We were thinking of visiting Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, Hoi An, and Ho Chi Minh City in that time, so it hopefully won't feel too rushed.
But then I was reading that the south in July is their wet season, and maybe have typhoons? So maybe better to spend more time in the north/central, and see places like Sapa, Hue and Ninh Binh?

Soldato
OP
I did a 3 day, 2 night boat trip on Ha Long Bay and it was great. Had a couple days in Hanoi and Hoi An and one in HCM. I liked the war museum.
Good places but I much prefer Thailand. The internal flights are real cheap, no one queues in the domestic airports though so just push your way to the check in desk like everyone else does.
Yeah we are looking at a 2 day boat tour to Ha Long Bay/Lan Ha. Who did you go with?
Hoi An looks like a really nice place so going to spend a few days there.

I did Vietnam last June as it was super hot/humid but just before the wet season I believe. Definitely look into that further as it can get extremely unpleasant we were told!

Otherwise all the places on your list are great. Hoi An was a real standout place for me and the war museum in Ho Chi Minh (however I wasn’t too fussed about HCM in general otherwise)

We have decided to leave off the south on this trip as after we will be travelling back to Malaysia for our flight home, so it's not worth the time/stress of going to HCMC for a day where it might be downpour and potentially cancelled/delayed flight.

I think we have decided on
Hanoi 2.5 days
Ha Long Bay/Lan Ha - 2 day tour
Ninh Binh - 1 day tour
Da Nang - 1 day (will be Sunday so hopefully see the Dragon bridge show)
Hoi An - 4 days

Soldato
OP
I’d recommend Hue, it’s the former imperial capital city and lots of history as well as Bun Bo Hue which is a spicy breakfast Pho. Absolutely delicious.

We went in 2019 and my only regret is being a bit of a scaredy cat with the street food (my girlfriend used to be vegetarian and so doesn’t like eating rando meat stuff from the street so I got a hard time) so I’d advise not doing that and eating anything and everything because the food is amazing. In fact I think it’s in Hue where they do the imperial small plates tasting stuff. Very different from the rest of the country.

I have read that Hue is a good place to visit but not sure if we have the time as people recommend at least 2 days in Hue? and it takes some hours to get there from Hoi An, as you have to get to Da Nang first?
When I say 4 days in Hoi An, the first day and last day will be travelling from/to Da Nang/airport, so really sort of 3-3.5 days. If we went Hue, we would only have sort of 1.5-2 days in Hoi An.

Did you go to Ninh Binh? Maybe we replace Ninh Binh with Hue?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Vietnam is pretty huge, and it's got a lot to give.
Don't rush it, take your time.

You can always go back.

Yeah the more we read, the more we're confused as to where to go as there's so much :D Have to sacrifice something unfortunately. We don't want to feel like we're rushing to get through it all and miss things.

As much as we would like to see Hue (and many other places), we've decided on this:

Day 1-3: Fly into Hanoi, spend time in Hanoi
Day 4-6: Ninh Binh, Ha Long, Lan Ha (and other places) 3 day tour
Day 7: Fly into Da Nang, spend time in Da Nang, travel to Hoi An late evening after bridge show
Day 8-10: Hoi An
Day 11: Leave for home

Soldato
OP
Aha seems not too rushed for me. We will book the tour so don't need to think for those 3 days, so it's just really Hanoi 3 days, travel down to Hoi An 3 days (with quick stop in Da Nang which we need to get to anyway).
Years ago my sister and I done a 6 week South America trip (4 countries) moving every 2-4 days, it was brilliant!

Soldato
OP
If in Da Nang go to the bridge at night can't remember if it was weekend or maybe caught special occasion but dragon on it fire comes out and sprays water quite cool to watch. Also go to Ba Na hills when here it's a cool place to walk around.

Ninh Binh amazing do the boat ride and and climb up the Mua Cave for the viewpoint absolutely stunning.

Hoi an is great as is Ha Long bay if you want to do the overnight cruise that goes to Bai tu long bay.

Remember the city are overwhelming on senses constant beeping of horns! And crossing the road just watch for cars and trucks stop for them but the bikes will weave in and out of you, it's a fun experience crossing the road for the first time haha.

I've been to Vietnam five times it's an amazing country I have so many good memories.

Edit: nearly forgot the war tunnels forgot the tour company I used but took me on back of there motorbike there that was cool in itself, really recommend this as a day trip from Ho Chi Minh.

Booked all the flights/accommodation/tours past few days. Can't wait! We'll spend the Sunday in Da Nang so we'll see the bridge show (every Fri-Sun I think). Really looking forward to Hoi An, everyone says such great things about it.
As hotels are relatively cheap over there we may have chosen some fancy places to stay at... :D
The tour we booked includes a boat ride in Ninh Binh and also some cycling around. Overnight cruise to Lan Ha and Cat Ba as apparently it's less touristy.
The roads were the same in Cambodia, just walk and everyone else goes around you!

Soldato
OP
Just to temper your expectations of Hoi An, it is lovely but very touristy in the centre area. My favourite bit was an organised bike ride around some villages on the outskirts etc. Really relaxing and pretty.
It can be in the day time with Chinese tour parties, across the river is very lively at night at the moment where it used to be only 2 or 3 bars pre Covid

I did bike ride too and really good as you say

Do you remember where about you cycled around? The hotel I'm staying with have free use of bikes.
I was looking to book somewhere in An Hoi but read that it is the lively area. I booked just west of the old town.

Back
Top Bottom