Views on what is the quietest and most effective air cooler for Ryzen 3700X

Associate
Hi all, as per the title am looking at air coolers for a future purchase (Ryzen 7 3700X paired with a MSI B450 MORTAR MAX). Any thoughts on what I should buy (or avoid!)? Budget up to £75, possibly £100.

Is the BeQuiet DR Pro 4 the best option right now? And is it easy to install?

Appreciate any comments or good review links.

Thanks, D.

Tell us what motherboard and RAM are you using and with your case having 170mm CPU clearance we can tell you what coolers will clear PCie sockets and RAM. ;)

I am planning to get the MSI B450 MORTAR MAX to go with the 3700X. I already have the graphics card (Gigabyte rx5700 gaming OC - took advantage of a Gibbo special :p) and use an external sound card (Soundblaster G6). I might get an M2 NVME storage solution (if there is a good 1Tb deal - but suspect prices might be going up), although already have a Sata 3 SSD Samsung Evo I can use.

Looks like the Mugen PCGH is a great CPU cooler option and much better than the AMD bundled cooler. I value silence over a few extra degrees that the Mugen 5 might give or DR Pro 4, and the cost saving is a bonus.

The one area I am now stuck on is the RAM!

I posted here to get some help https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ax-owners-recommmend-memory-options.18875575/ , no replies as yet.

I was looking at the Patriot Viper Steel 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-32000C19 4000MHz Dual Channel Kit (PVS416G400C9K), but am worried about the RAM height and also if this can easily run at 3600MHz on this motherboard. Am looking for an endorsement and am kicking myself I did not take advantage of the 8 Pack memory offers Gibbo put on recently. Don't want to spend more than £100 on memory.

Huge thanks for the Mugen cooler option.

Dark Rock Pro 4 is very, very quiet.
RAM clearance wasn't an issue with the 8Pack modules.
Just regarding the installation of the cooler, it will save you loads of time to install with the motherboard outside the case, as you will screw the cooler on its mountings, and after that, you'll install the inner fan, which is trick to do if the motherboard is in the case, also make sure it's pointes to the correct direction.
Rear fan can be installed a bit offset/higher if needed.

I can recommend Le Grand Macho RT. Stress testing max 85C, everything else/gaming 68C. Ryzen gets hot regardless of cooler though. Its running at 550rpm, pretty much can't hear it and I'm really fussy with noise. For noise control I have my case fans ramp up with GPU temp in Argus Monitor.

Fractal Define Mini C metal sicde has 170mm CPU clearance, window model has 168mm CPU clearance.

Tell us what motherboard and RAM and I can tell you what their cooler clearance is too.

Le Grand Macho RT is very good and quiet.

Advantage of using bigger higher watt TDP coolers is because they are what some call 'overkill' their higher cooling ability means they cool much easier so make much less noise.

Thank you for all the help. Have gone with Corsair LPX 3600 Mhz ram (due to the low profile) with the MSI Mortar Max B450M and the BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 (only because I got it for a really silly price, otherwise would have been the Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH).

Look forward to the build when it all arrives.

Thanks, D.

Back
Top Bottom