Viewsonic VX922 or VX924 19" TFT

Associate
Ok, i've got around £300 to spend on a new 19" TFT and have been looking at both the Viewsonic VX922 (2ms) and the VX924 (3ms) and can't decide which is the better TFT to get, both have low access times, but are listed as G2G, does this make a difference?

I will be using the TFT for gaming mostly, but will be watching some movies on it aswell...

Which out of the 2 monitors should i go for... Thx in advance... :D

EDIT: If there is any other monitor worth getting, please feel free to post, my budget is £300...

Last edited:
Soldato
The 922 is the replacement for the 924 and with only £10 between them it would make little sense not to buy the latest model.

Though these are pretty hardcore gaming screens not really intended for movie viewing, if you are planning on using it regularly for movies then you would probably be better of with a monitor that is more of a compromise between games and movies so that you're happy with both aspects. For dead on £300 you're stuck with TN film panels, if you could streach another £50 then the Viewsonic VP930 would be an excellent choice for both games and movies. If you can't streach then you could save yourself £100 and get the Samsung 913n which although not as good for games (still OK though) would be better for movies.

Man of Honour
as PieEater has said, there's pretty much no difference between the VX924 and VX922, just a spec on paper and suppsoedly a slight improvement in responsiveness as measured by AU Optronics, the panel manufactuer. However, i doubt anyone could tell any difference in real use. If you can get the VX924 for less, i personally think you might as well go with that to save a bit of money. These are two of the most responsive panels in the market for gaming, and would be very good choices. The Samsung 930BF is also very good and would be worth looking at. The 8ms models like the 913N, L90D+ are also very very good, and only marginally slower anyway, would be more than adequate for gaming and could save a fair bit of money

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys... I know nothing about TFT's and was wondering what makes a TFT good for gaming, but not so good for movies? I ideally need a TFT thats good for both games and movies, and as such, have increased my budget to around £350... Any ideas, as it looks like such a minefield out there with all the stats etc... :confused:

Associate
Got a vx922. Absolutely amazing. However in the darkest parts of CoD 2 i can see the backlight shining through the image. Is that called ghosting?

Anyway, yeah probably go for the vx924 if you can if its supposidly as good as the 922

Soldato
Legless said:
what makes a TFT good for gaming, but not so good for movies? I ideally need a TFT thats good for both games and movies, and as such, have increased my budget to around £350... Any ideas
Baddass or another will likeley confirm but as I understand it the overdrive technology used to speed up responsiveness on TN film panels is great for high frame rates but doesn't quite get it right for the slower frame rates of films, the pixels get confused as to what they should be doing which can lead to problems with image quality.

The Viewsonic VP930 uses a more expensive film technology (cant remember which one) which offers a better all-round screen in terms of viewing angles and colour depth and is more suited to a general purpose (gaming / movies) role. It's curently the pick of the crop for 19" screens.

Man of Honour
!n$oMniA said:
Got a vx922. Absolutely amazing. However in the darkest parts of CoD 2 i can see the backlight shining through the image. Is that called ghosting?

no, that's more down to uneveness of the panel and backlighting. Ghosting is where you can see a trail of an image behind moving objects, at least that is what is commonly referred to as ghosting

Man of Honour
PieEater said:
Baddass or another will likeley confirm but as I understand it the overdrive technology used to speed up responsiveness on TN film panels is great for high frame rates but doesn't quite get it right for the slower frame rates of films, the pixels get confused as to what they should be doing which can lead to problems with image quality.

The Viewsonic VP930 uses a more expensive film technology (cant remember which one) which offers a better all-round screen in terms of viewing angles and colour depth and is more suited to a general purpose (gaming / movies) role. It's curently the pick of the crop for 19" screens.

PieEater has it summarised pretty well there. TN Film has never been the greatest technolgy for movie playback. There is often obvious noise, which is caused partly by the dithering (Frame Rate Control - FRC) which is used to produce a wide colour range. With the advent of overdrive, responsiveness was improved, but the poor control of overdrive can lead to a lot of overshoot and even more noise. It just goes to highlight any defects that the technology already suffered from reall.y Just because a panel is fast, doesnt have to mean that movie playback is noisy. It is common on a lot of models, but if overdrive is correctly controlled, then it doesnt have too bad an affect.

The other main problem with TN Film is the restrictive viewing angles, which i would see as the main drawback to TN models. The VP930 is based on a P-MVA panel, and the overdrive is well controlled and so noise in movies is not an issue. The overdrive control on the VX924 / VX922 is very good though and so noise isn't as bad as some other "fast" TN models (eg Samsung 930BF), but viewing angles might be an issue

the VP930 would be an excellent choice

Associate
Arghh ok cheers Badass for clearing that up. So there is absolutely no ghosting. However the backlight definately shines through in the darker parts of games.

Quite annoying for a £280 Monitor. Would have expected it to be flawless.

Vertical viewing angles are brilliant. Cant notice the difference at around 45 degrees. Horizonatal viewing is awful though. I have to say I cant notice any poor movie playback! Then again im not an expert so wouldnt know any different.

Soldato
!n$oMniA said:

Anyway, yeah probably go for the vx924 if you can if its supposidly as good as the 922
I have the VX922 and dont have any backlight issues and beleive me after my experience with the 2005FPW I'm overly sensative about this. If it's effecting your enjoyment of games I'd consider getting it replaced. Have you run through a calibration of the screen?

Associate
Hey dude i love you lol!!!

Thanks a lot. Looks twice as good as before calibration. And i already thought i was absolutely amazing. Would HIGHLY recommend this monitor.

Just watched an episode of ER and i cant see what people are talking about when they say there is noise and distortion because of the overdrive.

CSS and COD 2 look stunning with a 7800gt and vx922! Yet to try BF2

Associate
OP
!n$oMniA said:
Hey dude i love you lol!!!

Thanks a lot. Looks twice as good as before calibration. And i already thought i was absolutely amazing. Would HIGHLY recommend this monitor.

Just watched an episode of ER and i cant see what people are talking about when they say there is noise and distortion because of the overdrive.

CSS and COD 2 look stunning with a 7800gt and vx922! Yet to try BF2

Hey thx for that... :) Think i'll go for the VX922 as i do like the look of it... :D

Soldato
Well I've got the VP191b it's absolutly great for gaming & movie playback is fantastic also, the black colour depth is very good. So if the VP930 is slightly better then all I can say is you cant go wrong! :)

Back
Top Bottom