Vinyl wrapping kitchen worktop and cupboards

Associate
Has anyone used vinyl wrap on kitchen worktops and cupboards?

We are going to look at a house that is at the top end of our budget. The inside is fairly new, as well as the rest of the house modernised, the kitchen layout is great with huge bifold doors, BUT the worktops are pink so are some of the cupboards! Also, some of the cupboards are a lime green colour!!

It's not going to put us off buying if we like the house, but it will be something we need to change fairly soon, as it's not to our taste at all!

I know vinyl is pretty durable these days, but Im aware it's not going to take a beating from a knife. Assume anything hot on it, will probably deform or melt it, considering they use heat guns to shape it on cars?

Maybe cheaper/worthwhile to just replace the worktops, and wrap the cupboards instead?

Or are there any other, more sturdy options to cover worktops in the meantime?

It may work temporarily, but I can't see it lasting well - especially on a worktop. Putting a hot pan or baking tray down on it will immediately ruin it.

No idea how much it'd cost to get someone in to do the wrapping for you, but I can't see it working out cheaper than just buying a new worktop and getting the doors painted - or even doing it yourself as it's not an especially tricky job.

Last edited:
It may work temporarily, but I can't see it lasting well - especially on a worktop. Putting a hot pan or baking tray down on it will immediately ruin it.

No idea how much it'd cost to get someone in to do the wrapping for you, but I can't see it working out cheaper than just buying a new worktop and getting the doors painted - or even doing it yourself as it's not an especially tricky job.

I'd do the wrapping myself if I was going to do it. I build cars in my spare time, so have done some basic wrapping previously.

The doors look like they have a shiny gloss texture, not sure how well they'd hold to paint without a lot of prep work. And we have two bull terriers that smash into things. We did some test paint on the cupboards in our current house and it was not durable at all!

I don't think it'd hold up at all, even much harder stuff like slate looks terrible as worktops in no time flat.

For the cupboards i can see it working but then it'd probably be just as easy to spray/paint them? just a rub down with some fine sand paper and prime and paint.

I know it looks a bit old fashioned nowadays but could you tile the worktop?

There's a house for sale near me, house is lovely but the same deal. terrible terrible clashing colours everywhere in the house :( you'd have to totally redecorate to make it liveable for a non colourblind person which is a real shame as everything looks pretty new.

maybe try some of below, but would have to careful on surfaces ..
don't think you can get polycarbonate/lexan in opaque sheets .. but have use this /0.75mm on some laptop tray tables and has excellent heat resistance
yes the doors look good - need a close-up of the problematic edges - do you have a belt sander ?

another option that might work are wraps on the existing doors - although I've not seen/touched one in the flesh

DI-NOC How to wrap Shaker Cabinet Door - Carbon fiber - Architectural Films - Rm wraps

I have done it twice. It works fine. The cupboards hold up really well and are still going fine years later even after we sold it (I know the new owners). The worktops are fine but yes it will melt and burn easy. Just put hot stuff on racks first. Ikea sell some cheap enough bits to save your worktops. It’s easy to do and so cheap if it goes wrong or gets ruined it’s easy to do again.

I tried painting cupboards. Much prefer the wrap finish.

We vinyl wrapped all the kitchen cupboard doors and end panels in our old flat (manky council issue teak effect), with a matte navy vinyl, which took a couple of goes to get the first door right, but came out really well.

Don't waste time on the cheap, B&M/Home Bargains stuff, as you need it to withstand heating & stretching (like automotive vinyl).

Actual pics of ours are on wife's old phone, but similar to this:

The only thing we couldn't seem to get right was the overlap on the inside of the doors, so when you opened a cupboard, it didn't look great.

But as a relatively cheap solution to updating a kitchen, whilst we saved for what we really wanted, it's effective (20m of 67.5cm wide wrap was just over £300).

We didn't wrap worktops as I couldn't trust the Wife not to put a hot pan on it, although I have seen some heat resistant (and cut-resistant/"self-healing") PPF-type wraps, but they're expensive and I doubt they'd really survive every day use.

Removing the vinyl was a simple matter of a heat gun (very carefully) or wife's hairdryer on max setting, so it's definitely worth considering.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom