Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
I know, but hey anything fora sale right? I'd love to get an FTTP as a main connection, but have to put up with a slow FTTC connection as backup for now and 5G as main as I can't with good conscience pay VM any more money for such a shoddy service.
I've had their door to door sales people lying to my face. It's a fun game to play.

Soldato
I've had their door to door sales people lying to my face. It's a fun game to play.

You should report them to VM complaints for mis-selling, they were bullying my FIL and I got him to record the conversation on his phone next time they called back around, he ended up with a letter of apology and a £50 high street shopping voucher.

Man of Honour
I can quite imagine, have to think about the poor sods who don't have your technical knowledge though. :(
That's their problem for lying to me. If they listened when I say I'm not interested and then they start pushing me to the point where the only way to get rid of them is to close the door in front of them I just can't help myself. Even when I've not been home they have pestered my mrs and won't leave even though she tells them many times that she has nothing to do with the house internet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had the email to swap my hub3 for a 5.
Not sure what benefit it will be really as im only on m500 and it will just be switched to modem mode
Maybe because your on an hold SH? I have the SH3 as well and been offered the SH5 which was delivered yesterday but haven't had chance to change it over yet

Soldato
Just had the email to swap my hub3 for a 5.
Not sure what benefit it will be really as im only on m500 and it will just be switched to modem mode

TBH, the functionality issues some people are reporting on the VM forums means that the best way to use the SH5 currently is to put it in modem mode. It does seem to be in some sort of beta test phase without VM telling customers that is the case. The SH5 does get you onto the 3.1 DOCSIS network which may help if you have local oversubscription issues, gets you off the Puma chipset with it's buffer issues, and sets you up for any future speed upgrades.

Soldato
I know, but hey anything fora sale right? I'd love to get an FTTP as a main connection, but have to put up with a slow FTTC connection as backup for now and 5G as main as I can't with good conscience pay VM any more money for such a shoddy service.
Which 5G service is better than Virgin? I’m tired of them too

Associate
Can the WiFi pods be connected directly to the router with a cable?

Yes they can willhub with much faster speeds I've been testing the 2 I have got one more coming tomorrow.

Have a look at this topic
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/2nd-Wi-Fi-Pod/td-p/4897966

I had a problem again last night with the Alexa devices losing connection so I took the one out of the kitchen and plugged it back into one of my switches in the backroom. The speed difference is so much better hitting over 600mb now on my Poco x3 and the devices are were brilliant. Speed isn't the issue for us though on wireless it's the black spots around the house that we needed fixing and these have worked for the 1st time we can actually get our Wi-Fi in the backyard, the 3rd pod is going in the dining room so most of the house will be covered the one connected upstairs by Ethernet seems to be covering the whole of upstairs fine.

Soldato
Which 5G service is better than Virgin? I’m tired of them too

Totally down to where you live, and how good of a signal you can receive (if any), I use Three UK, and my speeds can be upwards of 800Mb/s and never below 500Mb/s but I have line of sight to a mast about 2km away, and I live 142m up on a hill. That is from a standalone modem with no external antenna, and the unit placed inside my property about 3 feet from a window.

Soldato
Yes they can willhub with much faster speeds I've been testing the 2 I have got one more coming tomorrow.

Have a look at this topic
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/2nd-Wi-Fi-Pod/td-p/4897966

I had a problem again last night with the Alexa devices losing connection so I took the one out of the kitchen and plugged it back into one of my switches in the backroom. The speed difference is so much better hitting over 600mb now on my Poco x3 and the devices are were brilliant. Speed isn't the issue for us though on wireless it's the black spots around the house that we needed fixing and these have worked for the 1st time we can actually get our Wi-Fi in the backyard, the 3rd pod is going in the dining room so most of the house will be covered the one connected upstairs by Ethernet seems to be covering the whole of upstairs fine.

I think my house is too small for a WiFi pod on its own, just unplugged it and the internet speed was the same if not faster.

Associate
After 10 years on Plusnet with a connection speed of 32Mbps, Virgin finally cabled our street last year so it looks like we'll be moving over and going for the full monty - 1Gb fibre, 2 x TV boxes and phone. My question is around cabling - this house has never had Virgin before and I'm not a fan of exposed cables (internal or external).

I know where the external 'brown box' will be sited due to ducting in the street that runs to the house but after that point, what happens? If I understand correctly, they need to install a socket near both TVs and a socket where the router will go. Do I have any control around where they install the cables? The brown box will be next to the front door with TV points at opposite ends of the house (one around the back). My house is wired with Cat6 running back into the loft where I have my Unifi kit.

I would prefer it if they didn't run cables all around the exterior of the house to reach the TV points so can I direct them to do it any other way? I could get a cable run from the brown box location up to the loft location easily and discreetly.

Having never had Virgin before, I have no idea how the cabling works or what set up would be best.

Advice or recommendations appreciated!

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Generally speaking from the brown box on the exterior wall they would run cables either internally or externally, depending on how easy it is to get to where they're trying to get to. I expect if you can provide them with a suitable run they could follow it, as long as they don't need to take up floor boards, go through loads of walls, etc. I think if you have an easy run prepared then they would probably accommodate this (with tea and biscuits to encourage it).

Back
Top Bottom