1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by macca40, Mar 7, 2007.

1. MartinPrince

Wise Guy

For me, more often than not. If you are in an area that is not oversubscribed then you tend to get consistent speeds even at peak times. Though the only way I know of finding out is asking a neighbour who's on Virgin or do the 14 days test yourself.

2. doodah

Capodecina

Thanks. It's only going to be me, the Mrs and her mum with those two being light users. So I think the 200 or 350 will be more than enough though I do want a sturdy WiFi solution this time. Just heard about Ubiquiti Ac-pro :D, so would it be....

Virgin router in modem mode
    Ap-pro plugged into the Virgin router via ethernet and it handles the WiFi across the house

3. MartinPrince

Wise Guy

Pretty much so. I have mine in modem mode with an Asus AC68U router which gives me great wifi though the the Ubiquiti stuff is widely regarded as being the best for wifi.
    On my router (with custom firmware) I also run:
    VPN server
    FTP server
    Torrent client
    Dynamic DNS
    IPv6

Things that the SH3 hasn't got a clue about.

4. Pabl0

Wise Guy

I believe the virgin router in modem only mode restricts the Ethernet ports resulting in only one being usable? It was a hassle when I tested it.

I have just turned off WiFi to the router and use two ubiquiti access points in my house.

5. z10m

Wise Guy

Well its obvious isn't it.? You can only have one external IP v4 address. When in modem mode the device connected to the SH3 acquires the external IP hence only one will work.

6. doodah

Capodecina

Thanks but you've lost me. So how does the Virgin router connect to Ac-pro? Or does the Ac-pro completely replace the Virgin box?

7. ChrisD.

Capodecina

If you're using just an AP and no router, you don't need to put your SuperHub into modem mode. Just disable wireless on it and connect the UniFi AP and then configure it using the controller software.

8. doodah

Capodecina

Thank you, as you can tell networking isn't a strong point :o. I think my confusion stems from not knowing the difference between a router and an AP.

9. ChrisD.

Capodecina

A router is a decision maker, a switch or an AP just passes traffic to a decision maker to exit its local network, be it WiFi or Ethernet traffic.

10. labcoattech

Wise Guy

You will need the following configuration for modem mode,

VM SuperHub Modem mode > 3rd party Router with built in Wi-Fi

or

VM SuperHub Modem mode > 3rd party Router > Switch > Wi-Fi access points

11. Type_R

Soldato

Finally managed to get through...second box will be installed this Sat...won’t get the TV and internet upgrade until then apparently. SIM card is incoming. £99/m for a year. Reminder set in the calendar!

12. James J

Capodecina

Anyone with a new build gone with virgin? They're coming tomorrow to do the installation of the TV, broadband and phone for the 350 service but I'm unsure if it'll all be good to go tomorrow or if I have to wait?

13. Martini1991

Caporegime

Can't see why there would be any issue.
    On my new builds, Virgin already had some stuff in place in each of the builds so I was good to go in almost no time at all.

14. James J

Capodecina

Yeah thankfully it took the guy about an hour max for it. The only issue I have is that the wifi seems to top out at 400mbps whilst the majority of my hardware can get twice that. Any idea if thats the max or can it be improved?

15. z10m

Wise Guy

400mbps WiFi in the SH3.? I would say you are super lucky to get that much so don't expect to get it any higher... that's if it's the bandwidth and not the link speed...

16. Type_R

Soldato

Does anyone know if this is the 385 config or the 500 please?

Primary Downstream Service Flow
    SFID 1514
    Max Traffic Rate 402500089
    Max Traffic Burst 42600
    Min Traffic Rate 0

Primary Upstream Service Flow
    SFID 1513
    Max Traffic Rate 38500089
    Max Traffic Burst 42600
    Min Traffic Rate 0
    Max Concatenated Burst 42600
    Scheduling Type BestEffort

17. Mariusz

Wise Guy

That's looks the same as mine and I'm on vivid 350.

18. James J

Capodecina

Yeah I figured it out. The intelligent wifi option never allows 80hz 5ghz wifi so I disabled it, chose it myself and now my laptop is connected at 866mbps wifi so actually making full use of the internet speed. Much better but daft that I had to go digging to get the best out of it.

19. Type_R

Soldato

Thought so, thanks for checking.

Will wait till Sat when it is all set to go live upon installation of the second TiVo.

20. MarkeR

Mobster

Never realised the 350 package ahd a nice new upload

[​IMG]