Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I received my price hike letter from virgin today, the price of my package is going up £3.25 from the 1st March. They mentioned at the bottom of the page if I want to change my package or cancel, this can be done free of charge before 21/02/2022 without paying any cancellation fee. As I there is currently no other providers in my area offering 1gig and I'll be paying £33pm for the service, well soon to be £36.25 after the price hike in March I'll stick with what I have. I actually don't recall whether this is usual for virgin to increase their prices. Does this happen each year?

I'm the same boat, shame, id leave them for FTTP any day lol cheaper prices and true 1Gb/1Gb too, not 1Gb/54Mb ish which is a con

Soldato
4G not 5, anyone have an average speed checker or comparison for that?

You can't do a check, as you basically need to know where your local mast is, what hardware it has on it, which network(s) you want to use and potentially how congested it is. Distance from the mast, and LoS are also things you need to take into account.

If you want better help pop into the Official 5G Home broadband thread, and there are quite a few of us that can help you, but you need to be prepared to put in some work/learning in order to get the best outcome for the least expenditure.

Associate
Had the price increase letter too. £3.25 extra.
Checking my account, it has £22 of discounts running until July.
Should I just threaten to leave now?
My alternatives would be EE or Vodafone 500 megabit for around the same £40 a month.

I would go for the volt packages, but my EE SIM doesn't run out until next year :(

Last edited:
Associate
I have no real intention of leaving. Too much hassle and I've been happy with the service I've had from Virgin for over a decade.
The other services wouldn't be a symmetrical upload either
Just wondering if I should call them now or July and try to use the other ISPs to lower the price I'm paying

Last edited:
I managed to get Volt set up on the O2 side two weeks ago, but nothing has happened with Virgin. What's the best way to get them to set it up? I tried phoning, which redirected me to SMS, which then sent me on to Whatsapp, which told me that they have unprecedented demand, so I should phone them...

Edit: I got bounced back and forth between Virgin and O2, but it turned out that Virgin could in fact just do it over the phone.

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone who has the O2 bolt confirm that they can see that their data has doubled? I just thought I would just checked my data today to see if it has indeed doubled and it's still 5gigs instead of 10. I just called them up and the guy I spoke to said that it would show that I have 10gig on my account but if I use up the 5gigs of data then the additional 5gigs will then begin. To me when he told me that it just didn't seem right. I asked him, okay that's fine but surely there must be something on my account that I can see to confirm what you're telling me, he said there isn't but as long as you see Bolt then you'll have double data.

When I click on 'View your Bolt Ons' what I see is: Standard Rates in our Europe Zone - Volt benefits - Volt O2 Travel Inclusive Zone - £0 spend cap.

Should there be information about my data being double somewhere?

Associate
Can anyone who has the O2 bolt confirm that they can see that their data has doubled? I just thought I would just checked my data today to see if it has indeed doubled and it's still 5gigs instead of 10. I just called them up and the guy I spoke to said that it would show that I have 10gig on my account but if I use up the 5gigs of data then the additional 5gigs will then begin. To me when he told me that it just didn't seem right. I asked him, okay that's fine but surely there must be something on my account that I can see to confirm what you're telling me, he said there isn't but as long as you see Bolt then you'll have double data.

When I click on 'View your Bolt Ons' what I see is: Standard Rates in our Europe Zone - Volt benefits - Volt O2 Travel Inclusive Zone - £0 spend cap.

Should there be information about my data being double somewhere?

Yes mine shows doubled data, 4gb to 8gb ( I was sure it was supposed to be a 6Gb contract......oh well its for my daughter she doesn't need it) , took about a week to activate in on O2 and I got a message informing me as such. (dates in image actuallly , 29th I signed up, activated on the 7th)

volt.png

regarding volt, how long does it take to kick in, I bought a sim at new year, O2 have applied volt on the 7th to phone package, no update on my VM yet.

So this afternoon I contacted VM on chat to see what was happening with my volt upgrade, I was told I couldn't have it because I have an active sim on account from Virgin and I was already on a heavily discounted the Ompft package there was no way they could reconfigure my account without increasing my premium and I would have to pay a £35 activation fee and a new £25 a month for the currently free VM sim I have, I obviously declined this and accepted it was a non starter.

I was on a conf call and lost all network, the router did a reboot and I decided it to call it a day, fired up my PC to look at router etc and all seemed OK on reboot, fired up steam, I think it is safe to say that Volt has kicked in, I had heard it takes a while after O2 activates volt for it to show I', on day 13 after O2 activated it has happened, nice and quick bandwidth wise anyway, latency is still same old VM.

1-Gb-Capture.png

Last edited:
Associate
Yes mine shows doubled data, 4gb to 8gb ( I was sure it was supposed to be a 6Gb contract......oh well its for my daughter she doesn't need it) , took about a week to activate in on O2 and I got a message informing me as such. (dates in image actuallly , 29th I signed up, activated on the 7th)

volt.png

QUOTE]

Yeap exactly what I thought. Cheers for that. I'm calling O2 again now.

Soldato
Might have to look at this Volt, although been a happy Vodafone mobile customer for 20 years. Sat off contract atm and only do sim only contracts as we buy our iPhone devices outright every couple of years.

Associate
Is the Volt upgrade applicable if I buy a phone contract from Virgin or do I have to get it from O2, their customer support worker couldn't answer this question.

Associate
Virgin are currently switching over to O2 and it seems messy given my call with support yesterday, so I would go with an O2 sim rather than Virgin direct, via uswitch you can get cheap a fairly cheap O2 tariff. 6quid for 4Gb 8quid for 15Gb both will get doubled.

Experience of both Virgin and O2 vs 3 having all in my house is that VM and O2 are mediocre to poor if you like mobile data, O2 seems the worst for data speeds etc. but coverage wise for calls we have has no problems with any.

Associate
Would be ok if I just need a sim but I need to replace the phone as well, the price with Virgin works out nearly £300 cheaper than o2.

Associate
That surprises me, nearly every phone from Virgin represents poor value and often priced over 36months to look good, every time they drop me a phone deal I get excited about the bargain only to be disappointed when I go to take it up.

Soldato
Can’t get SH3 to go into modem modem. Login, change it to modem mode, then nothing.

plugged into it, can’t get on new mgmt interface or anything.

rest the unit back to router mode and it works. Is modem mode still an accepted feature ?

Back
Top Bottom