Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Can’t get SH3 to go into modem modem. Login, change it to modem mode, then nothing.

plugged into it, can’t get on new mgmt interface or anything.

rest the unit back to router mode and it works. Is modem mode still an accepted feature ?

Yes, all the Superhubs have it. Tried a hard reset with the pinhole button? Are you connected on http://192.168.100.1 ? Are you connected to port 1 (a SH3 in modem mode only activates port 1 as the WAN connection)?

Soldato
Yes, all the Superhubs have it. Tried a hard reset with the pinhole button? Are you connected on http://192.168.100.1 ? Are you connected to port 1 (a SH3 in modem mode only activates port 1 as the WAN connection)?

I repeated the process again following another reset and after about 4 hours, it's now up and running this time. Only had VM installed earlier this afternoon. 99% I've just done what I did earlier, but there we are.

Next up is to decide if I'm staying with pfsense or reverting to Untangle, I've not cancelled my Vodafone ADSL yet, so I'll prob give notice, but play with WAN failover for 30 days.

Associate
s the Volt upgrade applicable if I buy a phone contract from Virgin or do I have to get it from O2, their customer support worker couldn't answer this question.
Well a update, phoned up to take a new phone contract, iphone 13 and 100gig, price quoted on phone way over the price quoted online, pointed that out out to the operator who didn't give a toss, asked about the Volt upgrade and she quoted a £35 price increase ( 200 mb @£61 a month ) How is this company still in business, I also find it very hard to understand the foreign call centre accents, is it possible to get hols of a English call centre ?

Associate
Today was supposed to be the day we went gigabit from the 32Mbps FTTC we've been stuck on for the last 10 years.

2 external works visits later and it's a no go. They have agreement to use the BT ducts under the street but ours is blocked/has collapsed right in front on the neighbour's drive. Looks like Virgin need to get a permit from the council to dig up the block paved street to repair.

It's a good job they're not new neighbors that moved in 3 weeks ago or anything ;)

To be fair, the previous neighbour would have gone ballistic by now and it will need doing at some point, even if it was BT, or we would be stuck on FTTC forever.

The waiting game starts now...

Caporegime
Nice for new customer but not so nice for loyal customers ;)

True, might make it a bit easier to negotiate with retentions if you're renewing on Gig1 in the next week.

The loyal customer thing isn't just an issue with Virgin though, pretty much all of the Gigabit providers offer a decent initial contract with a £10-20 per month rise afterwards.

Caporegime
Forgot to do the switch over trick this year (new contract) so paying £63pm. Just seen Virgin's gigabit service though, yum but nearly a x3 increase on the download but only ~50Mbps for upload seems a bit stingy.

Associate
Forgot to do the switch over trick this year (new contract) so paying £63pm. Just seen Virgin's gigabit service though, yum but nearly a x3 increase on the download but only ~50Mbps for upload seems a bit stingy.

My understanding is that's due to the DOCSIS system that it runs on so the upload maxes out at ~50Mbps.

Soldato
So received my usual price increase letter from VM.
Is it the same rigmarole charade, call up, cancel, wait a few days they call back with better offer?
Whats the going rate for 350MBit people are getting?
Im on £35 a month at the moment, going up by £3.50 in Feb.

Man of Honour
Yep you're right on the upstream being on 3.0, that said I think DOCSIS 3.0 is able to do 200Mbps upstream

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

so only offering 50Mbps is a policy decision?

I'd certainly be much happier with 1000/200 than 1000/50 ;)
Yes true, will be interesting if they nudge it up a bit after feeling the pressure of the many FTTP providers which has already encouraged them to bring the price down a bit.

Associate
The upload limitations of Docsis will come to an end over the next few years with the full fiber rollout starting for all customers on VM. The Superhub 5.0 is also being rolled out in preperation of the 2gb increases that will begin soon.

Associate
So received my usual price increase letter from VM.
Is it the same rigmarole charade, call up, cancel, wait a few days they call back with better offer?
Whats the going rate for 350MBit people are getting?
Im on £35 a month at the moment, going up by £3.50 in Feb.

I'm about to start going through this again too. I got basic TV , phone and 350Mb last year for £45 per month, can't see myself getting that again. Mind you, I have never even plugged a phone in and can't remember when I last used the TV box so maybe I'll go BB only this time round. Would be good if people keep this thread updated with their negotiations so we all know what's achievable. From what I have read, due the price rises anyone, even in contract, can phone up and cancel before the 15th of Feb. I believe the automated system offers you minor discounts but if you stick to your guns and hold out for a person you can get better.

Associate
Just tried to upgrade my Oompf bundle to Volt mid contract as the price for new customers is only a tenner above what I'm paying, but no go (as i expected) and the best they could offer was £117 which isn't worth it for the extra 500Mb download. I'll be in a better position when i'm OOC.

Associate
Just tried to upgrade my Oompf bundle to Volt mid contract as the price for new customers is only a tenner above what I'm paying, but no go (as i expected) and the best they could offer was £117 which isn't worth it for the extra 500Mb download. I'll be in a better position when i'm OOC.

That's what getting the O2 Sim will do for you, it will auto bump you up for 6quid a month for the O2 sim as long as the sim is registered with same details.

j0s

j0s

Associate
Useless company, upgraded to 1 gig, negotiated free activation, they charged me activation, complained supposedly given credit, but no credit was given so charged full amount last month, complained again via web complaints this is the response..

Thank you for your email and patience in this matter and we see that you are not happy with our resolution. After reviewing your account, I regret to learn of your unpleasant customer experience. However, I do understand that we have fallen short of your expectations. Your feedback will be strongly considered and it will be passed on to the relevant department to ensure it will not be repeated and necessary trainings will be given. As I see that your complaint is about the £35 one of credit added to your bill. As I have gone through your bill, I see that the activation fee has been added to your bill. Activation fee is a standard charge to all our customers, to activate your services as per our guidelines. The activation fee has been mentioned in your contract copy via email. For any assistance we would request you to contact our customer care team on the below mentioned number. You can also choose to have a look at our website at www.virginmedia.com/help for more information. We appreciate the time and patience you have invested in writing to us, we are looking forward to help you at the earliest. Stay safe, Take care.

Here’s what we offer as resolution:
Billing > Extra guidance on billing

Ring today, get past first person that agreed passes me on to retentions, that instead of saying what was happening wanted me to explain everything again, then hung up on me.

Back
Top Bottom