Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I have indeed got a "Discount" in the Promo box as you have, but thought they'd messed up since my last contract had that also but with the actual amount agreed in the total at the bottom. Turns out the girl I spoke to yesterday make some sort of mistake. Spent most of the morning arguing with them on the phone to clarify it, guess I will have to wait and see on the next bill.

I think a lot of it depends where the discount comes from. I was originally quoted £115 all in for Ultimate Volt + 3rd 360 box - I pushed harder and went down the route of Sky is cheaper now as a result of the cost increase and gave them a target price of £106 :D The guy offered me the £3 off to hit £112 so I said I'd think about it and ended the call there. Rang back the following day (with the aim to try and get better as the discounts vary from agent to agent) and the guy couldn't do anything better than £115 regardless of what he tried - I then mentioned my call from the previous night and he went off to his manager who then approved the additional £3. I guess if a Tier 1 agent can do any discount it appears as the contract price - anything done by Tier 2 comes as some form of "other credit".

Permabanned
Ordered a 2.5gb switch and new board for my Unraid box with 2.5gb nic. My PC also has 2.5gb nic.

Not expecting any difference in headline speed as have a Hub 4 which only has 1gb ports, I get 950gb ish anyway when wired but be interesting to see if it changes at all.

My upgrade made no difference to the speedtests, speedtest.net is still around 950 and samknows is still around 1100. Steam peaks around 115MB/s and SABnzbd hits 110MB/s (same as before).

But copying to/from my Unraid box is over double the speed(2.5x infact :p)

Ready for when they up speeds over 1g. :cool:

Soldato
My upgrade made no difference to the speedtests, speedtest.net is still around 950 and samknows is still around 1100. Steam peaks around 115MB/s and SABnzbd hits 110MB/s (same as before).

You're not going to get any more than that with a single Ethernet connection to the hub. 950Mb is pretty much the max for gigabit Ethernet.

Soldato
Virgin.jpg

Well did all work but don't think worth the effort or cost in hindsight

Caporegime
Virgin literally just lost a customer over £1

Seems the customer support persons hands were tied though how ridiculous is this.
(Obviously some parts removed, security confirmation etc)
Info: Hi there, a Virgin Media expert will be with you shortly. All transcripts are held on a secure database for up to 13 months. Thank you.
Info: You are now chatting with Paulina.
Info:
Arknor: Hello?
Paulina: Hello Luke! Thank you for joining me on this web chat! :) How are you today?

Paulina: No problem at all. I have amended your security password, and this should be updated on our system in around 30 minutes. :)

Paulina: I'll have a look at the package options now and see what we can offer you as a package. You're wanting to downgrade your speeds to 100mbps, correct?

Arknor: yea and remove the landline, Its not even had a phone connected to it for years, I think it was a requirement when I originally signed up
Arknor: in the blueyonder days I think

Arknor: before the rebrand
Paulina: I understand. I will see what I can so and see what we can offer. :)
Just a moment please

Arknor: so M100 broadband only package
Arknor: I think I was out of contract for about 8 years... but too autistic to ever phone up and only really struggled in recent years so never bothered me too much
Arknor: Watching a virgin bill is like watching a taxi meter ;)
Paulina: I'm very sorry to hear that. I can understand that it can ve very difficult calling up.
But we're here to help via web chat, so all you have to do it reach our online and we'll do our best to help. :)

Paulina: I'm just seeing now what we can offer. I'll only be a moment. :)

Arknor: okay thank you
Paulina: No problem at all

Arknor: even just being downgraded would be a big relief though, you don't need to go out of your way
Paulina: I'll do all I can to get you the best deal possible, I'll let you know what we can do in just a moment.
Paulina: I'm still looking into this for you, the system is a little slow today. Apologies

Arknor: It's okay
Paulina: Thank you

Arknor: So hows your day? many irate customers or just me :S
Paulina: Don't say that! You've been very lovely so far! :) It's been pretty good for a Saturday morning!
Arknor: Must be hard to have to deal only with negative issues all day
Paulina: No all of them are negative, but that's what I'm here for haha :)

Arknor: do you get the WFH benefit since covid?
Arknor: rather than being trapped in a call centre I mean
Paulina: Yes! I've been working from home for over a year now, so it's been lovely! How about yourself?

Arknor: could be worse.
Arknor: I guess you are fine as long as you stay away from Peloton bikes :p

Paulina: hahaha I've been seeing them everywhere recently

Arknor: They had negative press in recent months for giving WFH people heart attacks ;) only in a TV series and a movie though
Arknor: oh I just thought, you are probably dealing with multiple people at once, and I'm just being annoying with small talk. sorry
Paulina: No no, I'm just looking into your issue only at the moment. No need to worry. :)

Okay, after looking through the system, the cheapest package that we can offer is £45 per month and that will include 50mbps broadband and Landline.
We are unable to see any available offers with broadband only services at the moment. Apologies.

This would be a contract for 18 months. Let me know what you think if you'd like to go ahead with this package.

Paulina: Apologies, this would be a 12 month contract.

Arknor: hmm you can't do £44 with only m100 and no phone like it says on the website?
Arknor: I honestly had no phone connected to the land line since years
Arknor: I worry having a landline I don't use will increase my bill faster than just having m100 on it's own
Paulina: Unfortunately, we're unable to process any package changes without the landline. I am sorry about that.
The landline on your package does mean that you're getting a discount for having multiple services active.

The offers on the website are for new customers only, I'm afraid.

Arknor: its not really a discount for having both though
Arknor: new customers get m100 for 26.99 and then £44 when out of contract.
Arknor: You want me to pay an extra £1 for a landline I don't use and thats not even hooked to a phone
Paulina: I understand that this is frustrating. However, this is the best offer we have available on our systems at the moment. I understand that this is not ideal.

Arknor: will it stay at 45 when the contract runs out? or jump up in price because of the phone?
Paulina: I've been able to see what I can do, and I can do the same price £45 per month but this will not activate a contract, so you'll be free to leave whenever you want.

Arknor: I half my internet speed and only save 20% on my bill too
Paulina: Or, if you're unhappy with the offer now, we can process your disconnection for 30 days from now.
Please let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Arknor: process my disconnection then thanks
Arknor: I will swap to some other company
Arknor: retentions wont be able to get in touch with me because I don't answer phones. so :p
Arknor: I won't get any final bill right because virgin is paid 1month in advance?
Paulina: I understand. I'm sorry to hear that you'll be leaving us. All disconnections will be complete 30 days from raising the disconnection request. So this means that your disconnection will take place on 07/03/22.
On or after your disconnection date, you will receive a Final Bill, which will calculate if we owe you any money from the disconnection period. As you're out of contract, there are no disconnection fees applicable.

Paulina: After the disconnection date, we will send you a pre-paid equipment returns bag, so please return all Virgin Media equipment to us as soon as possible, to avoid any equipment charges.

Paulina: I will put the disconnection through for you now.

Arknor: ahh okay, I guess I will get a bill for half a month then?
Paulina: You billing will come out as normal and once you receive your final bill, any refund you're entitled to, will be sent to you by cheque
Arknor: okay thanks
Paulina: Just a moment while I go through the system now.

Paulina: Your disconnection is now processed for 07/03/22. I'm very sorry to see you go, but I understand that this is the best choice for you if you're unhappy with our package offer.

Is there anything else I can do to help you in the meantime?

Arknor: losing a customer of 10 years over £1 when retentions give people the same package I already have for half as much seems weird.
Arknor: no that is all thanks, If I need to click an email link rating your support I will give you the top score though
Arknor: not your fault, you did your best
Arknor: I will get an email confirmation of the termination?
Paulina: I am very sorry about that. Unfortunately, we are limited to the systems. Thank you for understanding.

There will be a survery about my performance once you close the web chat. Please reach out to us on Twitter if you need anything else in the meantime. :)

You can click on the '+' sign on your web chat to have the transcript of this web chat sent over to you. The emails are sent out automatically, but I cannot assure you if one will be sent out, so having this webchat will be better I think. :)

Info: The chat transcript will be sent to: @gmail.com at the end of your chat.
Arknor: Okay done thank you :) have a nice day
Paulina: You can close the chat when you're ready. Thank you for coming on here. Have a nice day. :)

They even tried to claim having the landline was a discount for having multiple services when its not.... It is if you use the phone sure but I literally don't even have a house phone to plug on it.... it was a REQ in the blueyonder days to have BB+landline

All I wanted was the landline removing from my bill and downgrading to M100, wasnt expecting nay special deals...
I think I will get one of those simcard+router deals from a mobile phone company or something....

Last edited:
Caporegime
oh wait I just re-read the log the agent said m50+phone for 44.

but m50 on its own is £38 so I would have been paying £7 for a phone I would never use if I said yes....
all because they can;'t terminate a landline wtf

m100 only for £44 and I would have been happy.... I just wanted to remove the damn landline and drop to m100... no new customer price.

It literally says m100 normal price is 44 on the website man :rolleyes:

retentions really won;t be able to get in touch with me and I'm really gone

They can literally terminate my whole package but not "just the land line" and downgrade my speed :cry: you couldn't make it up.....

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
oh wait I just re-read the log the agent said m50+phone for 44.

but m50 on its own is £38 so I would have been paying £7 for a phone I would never use if I said yes....
all because they can;'t terminate a landline wtf

m100 only for £44 and I would have been happy.... I just wanted to remove the damn landline and drop to m100... no new customer price.

It literally says m100 normal price is 44 on the website man :rolleyes:

retentions really won;t be able to get in touch with me and I'm really gone
Dude. Just cancel, you will get a call back after a few days or weeks and you can negotiate to get m100 for around £18-19.

Caporegime
Dude. Just cancel, you will get a call back after a few days or weeks and you can negotiate to get m100 for around £18-19.
I did but I don't care about retentions, I don't answer unknown numbers and struggle with phones through a phobia.

The agent can literally cancel the whole contract but can't just cancel the landline and downgrade my speed like I asked...

I wasn't kicking up a stink for some new customer price or being rude, who makes these rules? someone whos braindead?

why tie customer supports hands like that

there's a 5g mast a few streets away, really tempted to give 5g sim+router a go

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I did but I don't care about retentions, I don't answer unknown numbers and struggle with phones through a phobia.

The agent can literally cancel the whole contract but can't just cancel the landline and downgrade my speed like I asked...

I wasn't kicking up a stink for some new customer price or being rude, who makes these rules? someone whos braindead?

why tie customer supports hands like that
Just the way they are setup. Basically they do not have access to the better deal or the authority.

Associate
Upgraded to 1Gb today, latency is excellent but I'm only seeing 400Mbs on the Ookla speed test, is there a delay before getting full bandwidth?

Edit - running the test on a wired connection.

Associate
Upgraded to 1Gb today, latency is excellent but I'm only seeing 400Mbs on the Ookla speed test, is there a delay before getting full bandwidth?

Edit - running the test on a wired connection.
I'm in the same boat, installed the SH4 this morning after upgrading last week but the router config is still at 600Mb, it's been mentioned it may take up to 14 days to change to the 1Gb config, which I'm a little BS to say the least

Soldato
VM latency has never been impressive, always subpar.
Glad you're enjoying your new connection though.

Last edited:
Associate
@arknor I did read that the chat guys have basically no capability to offer discounts. You have to call for that which just seems mad. I want to upgrade but really really don't want to put up with their awful telephone service

Soldato
Link aggregation with the Hub4 still seems "iffy".

It seems to work sometimes but others my speed seems capped around 950mb which is too coincidental and feels like it's not aggregating sometimes.

I know there used to be a problem with the Hub4 where the aggregation would fail after a while but I'd heard that had been fixed.

Associate
I've just swapped my Hub3 for a Hub4.. All good so far, however I am unable to access the Hub4 when in Modem mode.. It is meant to change the IP to 192.168.100.1 (like the Hub3) but I cant Ping nor go to its webpage..

Back
Top Bottom