Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
rang up to cancel as BT had just put fibre down. Instead of increasing my bill significantly they price matched BT and doubled my speed. Greedy gits beforehand it was going up insanely

My contract is up soon, I should do the same (except BT doesn't do fibre in my area, but I can pretend like I don't care).

Soldato
I’ve put their router in modem mode. I’m using my own router. What did you use to test?

Put it back into router mode (remove your own device) and try again. What 'router' are you using?

Also go to 192.168.100.1 > Router status > Configuration. Check that the Max Traffic Rate is set to 1200000450. If it isn't something else is up (config/provisioning issue at VM's end, needs a reboot, whatever).

I'm assuming you're testing over a wired (Ethernet) connection with known good cables and network adapters? How are you testing the speeds?

Associate
Will you still switch? :p
Nah to be fair i've never had a problem with virgin just their price rises after the introductory period takes the ****. Apparently they have sent me another hub aswell goodness knows which one i guess i'll find out when i get back from work in a week

Man of Honour
Nah to be fair i've never had a problem with virgin just their price rises after the introductory period takes the ****. Apparently they have sent me another hub aswell goodness knows which one i guess i'll find out when i get back from work in a week
If you have the option of Openreach based FTTP, then you really ought to reconsider.

Soldato
I have an Asus ax11000 router hardwired to the 2.G port of my pc. Using ookla. Have tried a few others but getting the same.

...and the other questions? Did you check the modem config? Tried with the SuperHub in router mode (ditching the toy Asus thingy) wired directly to your device? Presuming you're still stuck, try a different NIC (eg 1Gb Intel) and also try in a Linux or FreeBSD live USB to eliminate other variables.

If you have the option of Openreach based FTTP, then you really ought to reconsider.

Never a truer word...

Soldato
Can you get netflix any cheaper through VM than paying a normal sub? If you take it through Virgin, do you get given a normal account name where you can use it anywhere or do you have to only use it through the Virgin TIVO box?

Associate
Virgin media have literally the worst service.

Spent maybe 50 hours on phone calls with them and got nowhere.

Ombudsman is useless as well, need a deadlock letter from them to pursue ... but if they don't send it what can you do!

Soldato
My Ultimate Oomph bundle was due to end next month and go from £89 to £139 so I called to say I’m leaving and they’ve put me on Ultimate Volt Bundle for £85 but couldn’t upgrade from M600 to 1Gig due to Hub 4 shortage (apparently).
Said they put a note on my account to upgrade me to it at no extra charge when Hub 4 is back in stock but they didn’t know when and said I have to call them to check!
Wtf, so I’m randomly going to have to keep calling to see if they have Hub 4 in stock.
Asked about Hub 5 but when they asked the manager there was nothing they could do to get that either.
Feel like they were giving me the run around but at least I keep my general package of everything at £85.

Anyone else with any recent experience trying to upgrade and being told no Hub 4 available?

Associate
...and the other questions? Did you check the modem config? Tried with the SuperHub in router mode (ditching the toy Asus thingy) wired directly to your device? Presuming you're still stuck, try a different NIC (eg 1Gb Intel) and also try in a Linux or FreeBSD live USB to eliminate other variables.

Never a truer word...
I’m using cat 6a Ethernet cables and yes My max speed is higher than you mentioned. Managed to get up to 900mbs on one test but seems to average around 600mbs rather than the average 1 gig I was supposed to get. I will try with out my toy (bit rude) when I get home later.

Soldato
I’m using cat 6a Ethernet cables and yes My max speed is higher than you mentioned. Managed to get up to 900mbs on one test but seems to average around 600mbs rather than the average 1 gig I was supposed to get. I will try with out my toy (bit rude) when I get home later.

Haha Asus is a pet hate of mine (and some of the other posters here). Their consumer routers are woeful, and suffer from laggy to non-existent security updates. They (Asus) are under sanction and mandatory supervision and auditing by the US authorities for exactly that - shipping inadequate and dangerous products that left users at risk and under attack. If you're going to put your own router in front of a modem, it's much better to buy a proper router (not an underpowered consumer all-in-one box), with standalone WiFi access point(s) as required.

Alas, if you're managing to hit 900Mbps sometimes we're not that much further on (yet). That rules out config issues with VM but not line issues (eg power levels), network adapter or cable issues, driver issues and so on. Usually the answer is rather simple in the end - a dodgy cable, network drivers, out of spec power levels on the hub or similar. If you try with the SH in router mode directly, then a different cable and network adapter (if possible) and under a Linux or FreeBSD live USB, you rule out various possibilities as you go (drivers, adapter, OS/AV/bottlenecking).

Just to check, also, when you say Ookla speedtest do you mean the standalone app or through the browser? Browsers are rubbish at doing gigabit, they want low latency and don't really care about total throughput so much. If you aren't already testing in the standalone app (Windows store, CLI app from speedtest.net site etc) then please do so first.

Caporegime
With the caveat that the Windows Store app reports some very strange numbers regarding upload speed. The CLI is the most reliable one I've used, then the mobile app.

Associate
Haha Asus is a pet hate of mine (and some of the other posters here). Their consumer routers are woeful, and suffer from laggy to non-existent security updates. They (Asus) are under sanction and mandatory supervision and auditing by the US authorities for exactly that - shipping inadequate and dangerous products that left users at risk and under attack. If you're going to put your own router in front of a modem, it's much better to buy a proper router (not an underpowered consumer all-in-one box), with standalone WiFi access point(s) as required.

Alas, if you're managing to hit 900Mbps sometimes we're not that much further on (yet). That rules out config issues with VM but not line issues (eg power levels), network adapter or cable issues, driver issues and so on. Usually the answer is rather simple in the end - a dodgy cable, network drivers, out of spec power levels on the hub or similar. If you try with the SH in router mode directly, then a different cable and network adapter (if possible) and under a Linux or FreeBSD live USB, you rule out various possibilities as you go (drivers, adapter, OS/AV/bottlenecking).

Just to check, also, when you say Ookla speedtest do you mean the standalone app or through the browser? Browsers are rubbish at doing gigabit, they want low latency and don't really care about total throughput so much. If you aren't already testing in the standalone app (Windows store, CLI app from speedtest.net site etc) then please do so first.

I used the windows app. I connected directly to the hub 4 in router mode after a hard reset and am now getting 900mbs. Connected my router and put it back in modem mode and am still getting 900mbs. If the Asus router router is rubbish what do you recommend instead for gaming and streaming? I should also add virgin has only just been installed in my area and I’m the first customer. Would there be some kind of line training?

Caporegime
It's always been bang on for me. NIC driver differences, AV caching or similar perhaps?

Four different PCs, a Virgin Media connection shows a 400Mbps upload speed. Another PC on a gigabit leased line gives a result of 3000Mbps upload.

The CLI and web app all work fine.

Back
Top Bottom