Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
My hub 4 stopped working so yesterday I had it replaced with a hub 5. Since then I've been having a bit of packet loss, it comes and goes, it could be an issue to do with the game but I thought I'd have a look at my line settings since the hub 5 was installed. This is my upstream, I'm told the power levels are to high and should be under 50, could something like this be the cause of packet loss ? Connection seems fine otherwise, it's stable and full speed

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't know you had to give 30 days notice to leave VM so gonna have a whole 4 days of out of contract service.

But cause they cocked up so much with billing they've accidentally given me the last month for basically free.

Renewals team rang, told them I get gigabit both ways with vodafone for £29 and they thanked me for my custom and wished me a pleasant day.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Pretty much sounds like O2 in my area, not amazing but always a signal, missus prefers it because it always works in supermarkets where 3 and EE don't, I find it odd that I can have 3 at home and get 1.1Gb downloads yet sat next to me the missus gets 20Mb :D but she is happy and that is the main thing for what she does on a phone you don't need much more, though I feel £25 is a rip off for that level of performance and I'd would just put her on Smarty if it wasn't for VM bundling and pay far less for more of everything.

Are you on the Ultimate Volt package? If you are on a lower package then you can shift her O2 tariff to something cheaper... I just signed up to 30GB for £8, which will boost to 60GB.
However, I read somewhere that the Ultimate Volt package requires you to be on the O2 unlimited data tariff, which is £25 (though I've seen some people say thay shifted to a cheaper tariff without impacting Virgin package/price, but YMMV).

Man of Honour
My hub 4 stopped working so yesterday I had it replaced with a hub 5. Since then I've been having a bit of packet loss, it comes and goes, it could be an issue to do with the game but I thought I'd have a look at my line settings since the hub 5 was installed. This is my upstream, I'm told the power levels are to high and should be under 50, could something like this be the cause of packet loss ? Connection seems fine otherwise, it's stable and full speed

Its only just over the recommended level so I'd say its probably not causing it. That said it wouldn't hurt to try say a 3db attenuator on the coaxial cable.

Reactions: R3X
Soldato
I have tv/phone/broadband package out of contract, is it possible to drop tv altogether and have just phone/broadband?

I have the newer TV box (tv6) or something like that and we only have the basic tv package but for past year we rarely watch anything other than stuff on channels 1-5, so thinking about just getting a separate box for our recording needs, on that subject can anyone recommend a decent recording box, I was thinking something like a youview box?

Associate
Are you on the Ultimate Volt package? If you are on a lower package then you can shift her O2 tariff to something cheaper... I just signed up to 30GB for £8, which will boost to 60GB.
However, I read somewhere that the Ultimate Volt package requires you to be on the O2 unlimited data tariff, which is £25 (though I've seen some people say thay shifted to a cheaper tariff without impacting Virgin package/price, but YMMV).
Ultimate Volt but good tip all the same.

Soldato
I have tv/phone/broadband package out of contract, is it possible to drop tv altogether and have just phone/broadband?

I have the newer TV box (tv6) or something like that and we only have the basic tv package but for past year we rarely watch anything other than stuff on channels 1-5, so thinking about just getting a separate box for our recording needs, on that subject can anyone recommend a decent recording box, I was thinking something like a youview box?
You can do whatever you want, you're out of contract

Soldato
Any news on the grapevine as to what VM's next big speed improvement will be?

I'm thinking it can't be 1.5/2Gb as the vast majority of people can't benefit from that due to most having 1Gb ports so surely it has to be to the upload speeds!

Soldato
due to get Virgin media on the 4th, I was wondering what peoples experiences are like with the HUB4 and HUB5. They said for the 1gig package i will receive one of those routers. I am currently on plusnet ADSL but i have to use wifi extender upstairs because we have concrete floors upstairs. I am using a tp link router with TP link AV600 extender. I am thinking i might need to upgrade these to handle 1gb.

Soldato
Didn't know you had to give 30 days notice to leave VM so gonna have a whole 4 days of out of contract service.

But cause they cocked up so much with billing they've accidentally given me the last month for basically free.

Renewals team rang, told them I get gigabit both ways with vodafone for £29 and they thanked me for my custom and wished me a pleasant day.
That sounds like a good deal? I’m in broadband only (no landline) and I pay £31 per month for 350m - do you have any other services with them?

Thanks

Caporegime

I'm thinking it can't be 1.5/2Gb as the vast majority of people can't benefit from that due to most having 1Gb ports so surely it has to be to the upload speeds!

Why do they need to boost speeds? They are in many cases the only option for broadband faster than 70Mbps, they can quite happily retain those customers while the resources are spent on their FTTP build

Soldato

I had an engineer come out to check some latency issues and he said this year they will be doing 2.5Gb, not 100% if its all true but he said they need to upgrade their infrastructure to compete with other providers, especially in the upload department.

Last edited:
Associate
Just found out my reduced rate ends on the 31st...sigh, any tips on haggling for an existing customer? My alternative provider is bt at... 50mbps average here

Soldato
Just found out my reduced rate ends on the 31st...sigh, any tips on haggling for an existing customer? My alternative provider is bt at... 50mbps average here
What about 5G broadband is that not available in your area ? i can get Vodafone 5G 1Gbps here but currently on Virgin M500.

Man of Honour
If you're not out of contract now just wait until the price increase email comes through, which is due to everyone now, phone up saying you can't afford it anymore and wish to leave & wait for them to offer you the same/better price than paid before.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm thinking it can't be 1.5/2Gb as the vast majority of people can't benefit from that due to most having 1Gb ports
They can, if it were 2 Gbps then you could have two devices downloading at 1 Gbps. Or if one is downloading at 1 Gbps then you still have another 1 Gbps for other devices in the household to share.

Back
Top Bottom