Virgin Media Nightmare

Associate
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help with a nightmare I'm having with Virgin Media.

I cancelled a 30 day mobile SIM contract last September, whilst on the phone I checked with the operator who said everything is settled the account has now been closed.

I moved into my new house in October, and to my surprise, due to a Royal Mail redirect I had setup I received a letter from Virgin stating that, that months DD had failed and I was now in arrears.

So I phoned again, explained I had cancelled and was told I had settled everything and my account was closed, but apparently it wasn't closed properly last time and that the account had now been settled and closed.

Then again in December I received another letter, again stating I'm 1 months' in arrears, I didn't get a chance until January to ring again and explained I'm getting tired of this, that it's been confirmed to me twice before that my account has been settled and closed.

Anyway, this operator spent a lot more time with me on hold and came back stating that the last two times, my account had been submitted to be closed but there was an outstanding balance due which is why it wasn't closed. I think I should have been charged another month, as from reading, you give 30 days' notice to cancel so in essence need to pay another month. This operator said that as a gesture of goodwill she's cleared the remaining balance (£13) and now the account can be closed successfully, I asked if I can be sent an email stating the above, but apparently all she could do was send a text to the SIM, (Yes, to the SIM that had just been cancelled and I haven't used for months! Useless!).

When I thought this was the end, I check my credit rating last month to discover it's halved and the only reason why I can think of is that Virgin Media have now put a late payment marker in February (but weirdly I've apparently paid fine in October, November, December & March, when no money has left my account to Virgin since cancelling in September).

So obviously I'm now furious, I wanted to get a 0% balance transfer credit card and a loan to help pay for the garden, but it seems I only have a 20% chance of being accepted for the credit card and a rate of 29.9% for a loan!

This time, I contacted via email Tom Mockridge CEO explaining all of the above and this was passed onto customer services.

Didn't hear anything for 2 weeks so I emailed back and was told a letter had been sent to my previous address despite me stating that I only want correspondence via email, I emailed back asking if they can attach the letter to an email and got no response, so last night I took to facebook and was basically told my only option was to ring again.

So I rang, and the operator read out the letter, but before that he stated they had tried contacting me numerous times via mobile (the mobile that I haven’t used for 6 months and one that Virgin Media had apparently closed 3 times…) that basically stated the same as last time, that there is an outstanding balance, but as a gesture of goodwill they've waived that and my account has now been closed. I said I wasn't happy with that because I had been told three times prior that my account had been settled and closed and now I've got a late payment marker on my credit report, anyway the operator said there's nothing more he can do and has now given me another phone number to ring.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Or got any suggestions?

I'm worried that I have no evidence as I've had to ring and therefore got no proof of what Virgin Media have told me.

I will try ringing this different number on my lunch break today but I'm seriously frustrated with all of this, I want Virgin Media to remove the late payment marker, but they seem to think I owed money, which even if I did (and would have happily paid the £13) I was told three times I owed nothing and the account had been closed!

Soldato
Have they confirmed you have exhausted the complaints procedure?

That's the only way to go down, before then moving to the ombudsman if they fail to resolve to your satisfaction.

I would say that it sounds like you made the mistake initially, however given the ongoing failures I would be confident that you should be able to get the late payment marker removed. I am not totally sure if the ombudsman have the power to instruct that or not, but hopefully it will not get that far once you reach that one magic person within the company who knows what they are doing and will take a common sense approach - Sometimes it's just hard finding them.

Associate
OP
Have they confirmed you have exhausted the complaints procedure?

That's the only way to go down, before then moving to the ombudsman if they fail to resolve to your satisfaction..

No, reading it, I should have been able to request a manager to ring me back however the operator has given me a number to ring instead.

If I'm still not happy, it goes to independent adjudication, after which I guess I can go to the ombudsman.

I would say that it sounds like you made the mistake initially, however given the ongoing failures I would be confident that you should be able to get the late payment marker removed. I am not totally sure if the ombudsman have the power to instruct that or not, but hopefully it will not get that far once you reach that one magic person within the company who knows what they are doing and will take a common sense approach - Sometimes it's just hard finding them.

I'm not sure I made any mistake really, I rang to cancel and asked if I owed anything else or if the account has been settled, I was told it was settled and I had nothing else to pay and therefore it would be closed, which is why I cancelled the direct debit, I'm happy to pay what I owe (£13) but every time I've rang, I've been told that I owe nothing, or I do owe something but it's now been waived, not once have they actually asked me to pay anything else.

I was hoping by emailing the CEO that someone with some common sense would read it, they haven't read my complaint, if they had, they would have realised that there are repeating what they've told me three times previously and ignored the fact about my late payment marker, they're just incredibly useless.

Associate
I would ring again and ask to make a formal complaint and they should be able to give you a complaint reference number. At that point I think they have ~8 weeks to get your issue resolved and after that you can go to the ombudsman who can then get involved.

I had a similar issue with First Utility, they were ringing asking for a payment of £1200 which I didn't owe. Basically their payment system failed to take DD so it switched onto their second payment system that did, but by default created me a second account (only viewable interally to them) so my online account showed fine. After 12 months of incompetent customer services reps telling me everything had been sorted I eventually asked to make a formal complaint. Within a couple of days everything was sorted after speaking with someone who knew what they were doing!

Soldato
I've always thought you had to cancel phone contracts in writing? You should never just call up to cancel, especially without getting a reference for the call.

Webchat is handy as you can screen grab or in O2's case you have option to enter an email at end and they email full transcript

I've cancelled few times via webchat

Associate
Seen instances of this happen on the virgin media forum people have failed to get mortgages because of incompetence on VM! regarding billing closure of accounts ect.. . , if you get nowhere on the phone try the virgin media forum the paid VM staff will be able to advise on what to do.

the staff seem pretty clued up and they are uk based i believe.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This was 6 months ago, but I'm fairly sure Virgin force you to either ring or send a letter, I always try via webchat or email first as I don't particular like talking on the phone as I struggle to hear/understand.

I doubt writing a letter to Virgin would have made a difference, even if it isn't a good idea to ring, I've been told three times that my account has been settled and closed but it hadn't, I don't even know if it's closed now on the 4th attempt.

Associate
OP
UPDATE

I managed to talk to someone on VM's webchat last night to someone who was a bit more helpful.

They managed to send me the letter that they had posted to my previous address so I have at least some proof now.

As for my credit report, they are apparently going to amend it within 30 days, my only concern was they didn't seem to differentiate between stating my account with VM has been settled and removing the late payment markers, I got the impression they think this is the same thing and I'm not sure it is.

I did ask for compensation, because I've had to waste a lot of time and experienced some stress, my credit rating has taken a big hit for 2 months and will do for another month (at least), they felt £50 was reasonable which I flatly refused, VM seem to think by apologising and admitting their mistakes is enough, regardless of the time wasted and stress caused and my credit report being ruined for at least 3 months (if they even amend it correctly) through VM's incompetency.

It is costing me financially, I'm fairly sure I would have been able to get a 0% balance transfer credit card, but I'm now stuck paying 18.9% on £3,500 now that the interest free period has ended, and I will need a loan at the end of this month to pay for the garden, previously I was looking at interest rates of 4-7%, now it seems the best I can do is 19.9%.

I'm just hoping VM don't screw up again and remove the late payment markers within 30 days.

Associate
I think one of the key lessons OP and others should take from this example (i have also learned from experience) is that DO NOT cancel the direct debit yourself, let the original company close it when they close your account which they typically will do. That way you don't get into this mess with credit rating mistakes (which as OP found out is a right pain the butt). If the old company does take any money it is a sign the account isn't closed properly which will prompt you and also it is very easy using the direct debit guarantee to get your money back if they are charging when they shouldn't be.

I once had Audi take a car payment after I had already settled my account and I had the money returned same day by just opening a dispute with the bank.

I'm sure OP would rather have taken a temporary hit of £13 from their bank (or paid it if was a legit balance) instead of screwing their credit rating and having to get it corrected.

Associate
OP
So just to update to anyone who cares.

After Virgin Media had admitted they were at fault and promised to amend my credit report, it still hasn't happened.

My clearscore account updated yesterday and it still shows I have an account open with Virgin Media, still has late payment markers and has no corrections requested/pending.

My score before this was 466, the month when the first late payment mark went on with no changes elsewhere went down to 173, it's now at 200, I've been declined 0% balance transfer credit cards except those ones where it has a 3% transfer fee and is only for 6 months and loans for £7500 is coming out at 15.6% rather than the 7-8% I was receiving before.

Soldato
My wife had a similar incident a number of years ago with Virgin Media in its previous life (NTL).

However after a moan to the CEO her credit score got fixed in around 3 to 4 days.

It seems that you have already moaned to the CEO though.......

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

It's just so frustrating, and is costing me financially, VM just don't seem capable of doing anything they say, I've been told 4 times my account has been closed yet it still appears open, and I was told a month ago that my credit report would be updated which it hasn't, heck, even the pathetic £50 they offered me hasn't even been paid.

Their customer services are the worse I've experienced, I mean they refuse to use email, instead deciding to reply to everything via letter, ringing them never get anywhere because I always seem to get people who don't understand the situation and just repeat that I should write to them and the guys who man the web chat service seem to have limited ability to do anything.

I've made contact with VM and I can expect a response soon apparently.

Back
Top Bottom