Virgin Media UHD

Soldato
Hi,

Currently have VM for broadband and Sky for TV. With both contracts up for renewal/renegotiation in a couple of months, I'm starting to wonder about coalescing them.

I can't move from VM for broadband as I have no alternatives but perhaps I could move my TV to VM and get a deal on a package.

The stumbling block, however, has always been Sky Sports UHD support, specifically F1.

Now I understand Virgin are providing the Sports UHD channels but is this as "complete" as Sky?

I've seen conflicting reports about whether the F1 UHD channel is provided or not. Some posts seem to suggest it's only provided via one of the "main" UHD channels (like Main Event I presume) which often doesn't simulcast the whole programme as on the dedicated F1 channel.

If anyone could clarify I'd be grateful.

Soldato
Sky Sports Main Event Ultra HD, channel 532.
Sky Sports Ultra HD 1, channel 533.
Sky Sports Ultra HD 2, channel 534

Your get the race on one of those channels but doubt your get like qualifying and the pre build up in UHD like you do the dedicated F1 channel.

Soldato
OP
Yeah that's what I suspected.

I've also seen pages that claim channel 533 is actually the dedicated F1 UHD channel but most seem to suggest it's just one of the "generic" channels.

Associate
533 is exactly the same on the guide as the normal f1 hd channel 506 but uhd. Looks like you have to pay another charge on top of already having to pay extra for HD sports unless you can get a deal

Man of Honour
Anyone taken UHD from Virgin? Watched my first F1 race on my 360 box yesterday, the IQ in parts is pretty poor, lot of pixelisation, crushed blacks on some camera angles.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
I've got it, quite pleased with it. LG77CX.

I found dynamic tone mapping was needed for brightness in a lit room, but that was crushing blacks and had other issues. More tv than the box.

Worst thing is that the box can't keep up with fast forward. Gets into a right mess.

Soldato
533 is exactly the same on the guide as the normal f1 hd channel 506 but uhd. Looks like you have to pay another charge on top of already having to pay extra for HD sports unless you can get a deal

Yes mine is the same and I have Sky Sports HD included in my bundle and BT sports including UHD or whatever it is now called (TNT). Sky Sports UHD seems to require more monies. :( Wonder how much more. I bet they'd want £10-£15 more per month outside of a new deal. My deal is up for renewal in September anyway so may ask about this then.

Back
Top Bottom