1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin or BT fibre?

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Bobmunkhouse, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Bobmunkhouse

Wise Guy

Hi all,

Its looking like I will be moving house soon and I have two choices of internet which are below -

Plusnet - £26 a month - Estimated download speed of 27 - 39Mb, and an estimated upload speed of 5 - 7Mb.

Virgin - £40 a Month - Average 106Mb download and average 6Mb upload

Virgin - £50 a Month - Average 362Mb download and average 21Mb upload

So my main concern is people saying about congestion and ping times on virgin and as I have never used them its a little bit of a worry...I use my broadbacd for gaming and working over VPN...

I currently have 70Mb plusnet fibre and its really good but new house is slower...

Any opinions on this? Im leaning towards just going plusnet and hoeing for the higher estimate...

Thanks

2. Glanza

Capodecina

Depends where your based with VM, If you go on their community forums and look in the speed section for any fault codes in your area it'll tell you if you'll suffer from congestion or not.

3. Caged

Capodecina

If you want the faster speeds then order Virgin Media but if it's slow on day one then cancel during the cooling off period. Otherwise you will get fobbed off for the entirety of your contract period about area reviews that never seem to arrive.

4. squawkBOX

Gangster

Remember, Virgin Media offer 30 day contract option. So if you wanted to try them for a bit without any worries, then you could go down this route. The downside, is that you might not be eligible for the same promotions that 'new customers' get, especially if you then go on to sign a 12 month contract.

5. Bobmunkhouse

Wise Guy

Hmmmm this is a very good point....

6. Mr-Xoc

Gangster

I would assume a brand new customer signing up for one of the 30 day contracts would have a few installation fees.

7. Caged

Capodecina

£65 install fee for a 30-day term. Personally if I wasn't sure that VM were good in my area I would pay that extra, then re-contract once happy.

8. Iron-man

Wise Guy

try the 30 days as the trouble is where virgin is good for someone in a certain location there will be someone elsewhere with issues and likewise with the bt side of things. least with virgin you get the try before you commit long term

9. neil_g

Capodecina

Sounds pricey for vm, is that cable with no other services? Paying 35 for 250mbps here.

10. Wardyp

Gangster

Sounds like a lot, I've ordered 100mb for £29 a month. Getting installed on Saturday.