Virtualised ISA server oddity

Soldato
Afternoon all

We've got an ISA 2006 box on Win2k3 here that serves as a perimeter firewall and it publishes ActiveSync for our Winmo devices. It was a very low resource box (the old server was a Celeron and barely ticking over!) so I cloned it to vmware (ESX 3.5)

While connections through the firewall were fine, ActiveSync connections would stop working a few times a day. The device just said "the server could not be reached". A restart of the MS Firewall service or the server itself sorts it, but thats a PITA a few times a day!

I've had problems with cloned boxes in the past so I reinstalled it clean and reconfigured it - all working but the problem persists...

I've disabled DRS so there wont be any network interruptions to it. Its driving me mad - anyone got any ideas?

Soldato
We've had a simliar problem with a web chain of Vm'd ISA 2006 boxes and I believe its down the flood control. I'll check in the morning and post what was changed.

Associate
Have you got teamed NICs on the host that the external interface of the ISA box connects to? If one is not functioning as it should, then you end up with intermittent connections.

Soldato
OP
The extenal interface is a single card, the internal is teamed.

Its strange because other connections (such as our citrix web interface) continues to function normally

Soldato
I've just checked at on the web chain we have we had to put an exception to the Flood Control rule for the internal interface. Seems ok now, not sure if thats gonna help you at all but might be worth disabling the flood control if you can.

Back
Top Bottom