vista 32 or 64 bit?

Associate
Ok, point taken. I see what you are getting at with the native CPU instructions on x64 processors versus the usage of WOW64 on Itanium processors.

Hey well at least this thread has helped me to learn a bit more about WOW64 - will be interested to see the benchmarks.

3DMark 05 was a good one to try or any other test that isnt aware of x64

Caporegime
NathanE said:
1. Yes it is. WHQL driver signing requires that both a 32-bit and 64-bit driver be submitted in a combined package and both must pass the tests. This is a huge incentive for hardware vendors to produce 64-bit drivers

Unfortunately, not every manufacturer gives a toss about WHQL qualification - for example, Canon won't support 64 bit on some of their scanners :(

That includes some that are still on sale :eek:

Soldato
I can understand Canon not supporting x64 on old products (business interests). But not supporting it on current products is a bit below the belt TBH :/

I can only comfort you with this story: When Windows 2000 first came out, I e-mailed Elsa (that old and cool graphics card company) if they were going to release a Windows 2000 driver (back in those days, Nvidia didn't release reference drivers on their website). Their response was something like "no because W2000 is not a mainstream/popular OS". About 1.5 months later they released the drivers :) I imagine and hope a similar thing will happen with Canon and many other hardware vendors with a similar stance.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure Microsoft will give monetary or other incentives to some of these company's if they don't get their act together quite sharpish. Microsoft really wants to push Vista x64 as ultimately 32-bit is being retired.

I'd be quite surprised if Windows "Fiji" has a 32-bit build at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
testa12 said:
3DMark 05 was a good one to try or any other test that isnt aware of x64
3DMark05 will be a no use at all in testing the 32 bit subsystem as its biggest dependence will be on the graphics driver which will of course be fully 64 bit.

Associate
When I last checked Lexmark printers didn't support 64 bit and had no intentions of doing so.
Problem is I have a lexmark printer, bummer!!!!!!!!!

I am so confused 64 or 32, 64 or 32, 64 or 32 ????????????????????

I have chosen my new 7200.10 250GB for vista to be installed on, only prob now is to chose which vista to go for, I think OEM vista ultimate.

Soldato
JaseUK said:
When I last checked Lexmark printers didn't support 64 bit and had no intentions of doing so.
Problem is I have a lexmark printer, bummer!!!!!!!!!

I am so confused 64 or 32, 64 or 32, 64 or 32 ????????????????????

I have chosen my new 7200.10 250GB for vista to be installed on, only prob now is to chose which vista to go for, I think OEM vista ultimate.
Buy a cheap Ethernet print server and host your printer on that? :)

Soldato
I have no intention of installing it to a conroe.

As mine is so unrealiable, I would be wasting my time anyway cos half the tests will fail quite probably ( Slight lie its not that bad )

Not sure if you wanted me to do it on a single or a dual core?

I have just started it on the Neo2 / Opteron system actually.

I decided that most apps are still single core, and yes, indeed, most apps are still 32bit too, but also after checking what PCs I have, this is perhaps the most fairer to ue, as the driver versions I have for its hardware are all the same versions in both 32 and 64bit, so they will give it a closer ida, given how much difference drivers versions can make things, I dare say that this would be the best option??

Not sure what else to do really

3DMark - ok.
AquaMark3 ( I use this a lot as its much better and gives much more sensible results than 3DMark )
I will also SuperPI too!

What else?

Ok, XP64 is SP1...

Do you want me to use SP1 in XP32 too?

I would have though not... However, shall I do any updates or not?

Doing the updates will require me to activate them, and I dont want to do that as they are still in use in my other systems, but a phone call isnt that much hassle if I need to I suppose?

Anyway, I will get on with the installs and then do the tests...

Dont know how long I will be, but I will be done as soon as yeah?

Soldato
NathanE said:
Buy a cheap Ethernet print server and host your printer on that? :)

I use one printer on one of my PCs and they are all allowed to access it.

The problem still lies though in that you still have to have drivers for it?

Thankfully I chose a printer that works fine under anything I chose to use...

My good old ( Albeit a tad knackered Epson C44 ) runs under 32 and 64 and Linux too!

Associate
It would make sense to bring both OS versions up-to-date on the patching. Gives a more realistic impression of what people are currently likely to use.

Associate
To be honest there are plenty of pros and cons for both 32bit and 64bit but I am still not 100% sure of what to go for.

I guess I will take the plunge for the 64bit as I would hate it if i was not future proofing my PC, well isnt that why why I spent a fortune upgrading all my hardware. :) :)

Soldato
testa12 said:
It would make sense to bring both OS versions up-to-date on the patching. Gives a more realistic impression of what people are currently likely to use.

Of course it would.

I just came back to post that very thing.

Anyway, the basics of 32 are done, Mobo Drivers are in and Im about to do the GFX and then audio, and then I will activate and then do the updates.

I will install things in the very same order on 64 too!

JaseUK said:
To be honest there are plenty of pros and cons for both 32bit and 64bit but I am still not 100% sure of what to go for.

I guess I will take the plunge for the 64bit as I would hate it if i was not future proofing my PC, well isnt that why why I spent a fortune upgrading all my hardware. :) :)

Spot on... Future proofing.

Given that 32Bit is being stopped, and yes, even Vista 32 will have a limited life expectancy of only a year or two ( Entirely dependant on the number of users of course ) then 64bit is the only way to go when it comes to vista

32Bit? Oh how sweet... Thats obviously for the purple shirt brigade then isnt it? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Hehe... Yes, I probably am.

As far as MS is concerned, it would rather not bother with it...

After all, they were developing it for 64bit originally and its only recently ( Sort of ) that they decided to do it for 32Bit too! - IIRC??

But, then again, saying that, on the other hand and all that stuff...

They told us that Win98 support would stop in year this, then it was year that, and then year the other... Its only just stopped recently... Few months ago I recon.

They will probably do the same with Vista32!

Soldato
Well, the way forward is 64Bit, so yeah, after a year, once people realise this, then sales will drop off too!

Ok, I have finished all the installs andeverythign on the 32Bit XP... I am now running all the updates, and its just over 100MB, so its not going to be tonight that I will run the comparison tests... Maybe it will, maybe not?

Im scribbling down what I install and the 64Bit ones will be in the very same order.

I saw that the HD Im chucking this onto, is a Seagate 80GB, and I have a couple of those, so, what I am going to do, is use another Drive instead of dual booting and just swap them over to test various things out.

Another point is that My XP64 isnt actualyl tied to any PC anymore - I was using it on the x2 4400 but I stopped purely because I could not properly mount ISOs ( Daemon tools sorted that one out ) so I will probably keep it on the Opteron when Im finished.

Anyway, updates as and when...

---UPDATE---

Ok, its now morning...

AquaMark 3 failed to run... Brought up an error Window
3DMark2001 - Failed to run also telling me it needed at least 128MB to run.

Now IIRC both of these did indeed fail to run before... I have a sneaky that 3DM2000 failed but 2001 worked after patching it? - I will patch it and re-try and if it works, I will patch it under XP32 and re-run it there also.

Right now, Im running 3DMark-03 and after that, SuperPI and Performance test and then Ill post my notes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom