Vista Activation GGGrrrrrrr

Caporegime
stoofa said:
Your idea that piracy is a victimless crime is a little bit worrying - but there, a typical example of somebody attempting to justify theft.

depends really

I know somebody in my immediate family who sells copied DVDs he's downloaded from the binaries.

he is in no way funding terrorism, or has his "fingers in other pies". Only thing its funding is his beer money ;)

the press would have you believe that all pirates are really into all sorts of organized crime, the truth is ,the vast majority of pirates, just do it for some spare cash.

Associate
BubbySoup said:
Good points, but you are using a model that does not apply to many.

When little Johnny can download a retail ISO of Vista and apply a crack written by some guy in a back bedroom of Romania (thriving IT industry due to piracy, apparently :rolleyes: ), nobody profits from it, no drugs are bought or sold and no small children are put into slavery.

Even more ironically, it's going to be far easier for little Johnny to update his crack than it will be for many legit users of Vista to update anything of theirs.

It's a sorry state of affairs when I am tempted to leave my legit copy of Vista in its box and use a crack simply because it makes my life simpler.
Quoted for truth. I use no-CD cracks for most of my single player games, just because it's less hassle. I'd do the same for XP if I thought I'd get away with it. (I'm too wimpy to try)

People who download software and films/music/games are not funding anything.

It's the people that buy these things from shady people out of car boots that are doing that. And THEY are mugs, as the stuff is already available for free (which is how the bloke in the trenchcoat got it in the first place)

Plus anyone who buys a pirate OS is an idiot, as you have NO IDEA what happy trojans/keyloggers or other nasties have been slipped into it by the Romanian in his bedroom. Probably nothing, but do you really want to take that chance?

Permabanned
MrLOL said:
depends really

I know somebody in my immediate family who sells copied DVDs he's downloaded from the binaries.

he is in no way funding terrorism, or has his "fingers in other pies". Only thing its funding is his beer money ;)

No, he isn't a terrorist. He is, and I am sorry to say this, nothing more than a thief. If you told me he gives 75% of his takings to help fix the parish roof or buy presents for the orphans I 'may' be tempted to turn a blind eye. But he does no such thing does he.

Sounds like he has needs a better paid job or has an alchol problem if he cannot afford to drink without resorting to crime. Do him a favour and put him on the right track before you have to visit him in prison.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/13/more_copyright_police/

Getting up to 10 years is a bit much just for a few pints.

Last edited:
Permabanned
GraemeUK said:
10 years lol. You can commit murder and do less time, not to mention lots of other nasty crimes. Im not saying theft is ok, far from it, but this countries justice system is laughable.

I doubt you can commit murder and do less time. And I imagine you have to be shifting a fair few units to get the full 10 years. Even 6 months is a bit much for a couple of beers.

Associate
Graeme43 said:
It seems to be Windows Genuine Disadvantage! It is sad how a pirated copy is nicer to use as it doesn't ask you to reactivate all the time when ya change hardware :rolleyes:

I think I'll update my bios before activating again for my new install :rolleyes:

The version of windows after Vista will require activation should you install any non microsoft products. i.e. Firefox, Norton,Spybot etc.

Possible names are Mutatis Mutandis or Caveat Emptor Edition. :D

rculver9056

R

rculver9056

Guilt...

Ok, so I say I'm running Vista - But I am currently taking advantage of this '30-day grace' thing, though I do have every intention of buying it (From OcUK) within the month.

There. I've confessed!

Caporegime
the-void said:
No, he isn't a terrorist. He is, and I am sorry to say this, nothing more than a thief
Sounds like he has needs a better paid job or has an alchol problem if he cannot afford to drink without resorting to crime. Do him a favour and put him on the right track before you have to visit him in prison.

hardly

to be quite frank i dont see anything wrong in what he's doing. He doesnt delude anybody, they know what they are buying is copied. And the stuff he does sell, are actual DVD rips, almost indescernable in quality from the real thing. Not camera movies or telecine movies of lower quality

the person buying them gets what they want, he gets a bit of pocket money, he actually never goes to the pub, and barely drinks, i was using drinking money as an example.

The only victim of this crime, is the movie industry. Who quite frankly deserve it the way they carry on with their protectionist behaviour, and whats more, with the ammount they make, can afford it.

Associate
the-void said:
I doubt you can commit murder and do less time. And I imagine you have to be shifting a fair few units to get the full 10 years. Even 6 months is a bit much for a couple of beers.

Shows how much you know. Thompson and Venables were released on a life license in June 2001, after serving eight years of their life sentence for the murder of James bulger.

Permabanned
GraemeUK said:
Shows how much you know. Thompson and Venables were released on a life license in June 2001, after serving eight years of their life sentence for the murder of James bulger.

The difference being they were children themselves when they commited that crime which makes them minors and had to be taken into consideration. If they were over 18 it would be a different story as the minimum sentance in the uk for murder is life.

Last edited:
Permabanned
MrLOL said:

No, seriously, he is a thief. I imagine 'hardly' as a plea in court would not go down so well.

MrLOL said:
to be quite frank i dont see anything wrong in what he's doing.

So does your average shoplifter and pickpocket.

MrLOL said:
He doesnt delude anybody, they know what they are buying is copied. And the stuff he does sell, are actual DVD rips, almost indescernable in quality from the real thing. Not camera movies or telecine movies of lower quality

Really. He deserves a pat on the back then. Perhaps I should nominate him for the Queens honour for helping the local community. Does he rescue kittens from tree's in his spare time as well? He must be really proud of his achievements.

MrLOL said:
The only victim of this crime, is the movie industry. Who quite frankly deserve it the way they carry on with their protectionist behaviour, and whats more, with the ammount they make, can afford it.

The movie industry is made up of real people, who I am sure if locked in a room with you and your relative would certainly inform you otherwise. You are either ignorant or naive if you think that every film makes a profit for the movie studio. Tesco makes a profit, why don't you go and steal from them and use your pathetic excuse for being a thief in court, see how far it gets you.

Last edited:
Associate
I think I'll update my bios before activating again for my new install
So you are telling me that ,we will need to activate Vista everytime after Bios update? thats sad :/ ! Btw have u tryed to roll back to your old Bios or something?

Associate
piracy is done for one reason and oen reason alone, becuase most of the bigger companies out there are inclined to charge stupid prices for there software, that they even know people are not going to pay in the first place, piracy dosnt fund terror drugs or whatever, and plus i think you will find, they are not after casual pirates, they are after the people who sell it at car boots, the people who have cd copiers running, or farms of pcs churning out fake cds with fake labels/boxes, with fake holigrams on, those are the real pirates out there, i dont believe anyone who says they have never watched a pirate film, or who have never recorded a program of tv or radio, wich is also piracy, photocopying a book or article is exactly the same, or how about most internet sites, the little logos for or pictures of software or quotes on sites from news articles , is copywrite also ......... some people need to get a grip when piracy as a subject is brought up, take microsoft for example, the price of vista here and in us, is it any wonder people turn to piracy???.
i myself by every single peace of software/game on my pcs, heck i strugle to do it, its damn exspensive when you have 3 pcs and one laptop, but i manage, im not a big wage earner, i have to admit i have gotta creap around the wife first, but thats only fiar its her money too. so come on guys lets all think properly about this subject.

anyhow back to the topic at hand.

i have purchased vista and all of my previous operating systems, yes i woudl agree the activation system is a rite pain in the butt, its nessasary, i dont mind waiting on the phone for 20 mins or even a hour to get my authorisation code, i know i have done the rite thing by purchasing the software, the pirates have to wait for new ways around it, i couldnt be bothered with not ben able to get downloads until a new one was out, i always liek my system running updated as possible.

just my £2 worth, dont mean to offend anybody

Last edited:
Permabanned
DataVampire said:
piracy is done for one reason and oen reason alone, becuase most of the bigger companies out there are inclined to charge stupid prices for there software, that they even know people are not going to pay in the first place

Can you not see that companies are entitled to price their products to whatever the market will accept. There are a few things that I think have an excessive price tag but just because you cannot afford or do not agree with the price does not justify you stealing that product. You either go without, save up or find a lower priced alternative. You do not steal it.

DataVampire said:
, piracy dosnt fund terror drugs or whatever, and plus i think you will find, they are not after casual pirates, they are after the people who sell it at car boots, the people who have cd copiers running, or farms of pcs churning out fake cds with fake labels/boxes, with fake holigrams on, those are the real pirates out there,

I never said it funds terrorism or drugs. In fact the Metropolitan police said the criminal gangs in London are turning to counterfiet software and DVD's because they actually make more profit on them then selling cocaine. (And it used to be with a lot less risk as well)

Are you saying that some forms of theft are ok because of the value involved. I imagine you wouldn't mind a few minor items being stolen from your shed, or someone pick pocketing your wallet for £20 then. Or is that different because it is affecting you personally. You cannot justify theft in any form unless you don't mind being stolen from yourself. How do you know I do not work in any of the industries that yourself or MrLOL says its ok to steal from? If I came into your work place and started helping myself to things I doubt you would accept my argument that it's all ok because I am just a casual thief.

DataVampire said:
i dont believe anyone who says they have never watched a pirate film, or who have never recorded a program of tv or radio, wich is also piracy,

I cannot beleive you tenacity to assume that everyone thinks the same way as you about copyright theft. Recording a TV program is not piracy. If you duplicate that copy and make a profit from it, then that's piracy. You should really look into copyright issues if you are interested in it that much.

DataVampire said:
photocopying a book or article is exactly the same,

It depends on what you do with the article and if you own the book in the first place. And I have to laugh, photocopying a book would cost you more than the book itself. :D

DataVampire said:
or how about most internet sites, the little logos for or pictures of software or quotes on sites from news articles , is copywrite also

:rolleyes:
Oh puuurlease.

So because a web site uses a little logo or quotes from a news article its ok for MrLOL's relative to make 99% profit on something that does not belong to him and he has not contributed anything to in anyway does it. You will find that using a quote is not copyright and the images you speak of are completely legal. (If they are not then the webmaster can be forced to remove them or be taken to court)

DataVampire said:
......... some people need to get a grip when piracy as a subject is brought up, take microsoft for example, the price of vista here and in us, is it any wonder people turn to piracy???.

So next time your walking down the street and some scallie take your iPod off you then just get a grip - have you seen the price of iPods, not everyone can afford them you know. It's not as though the scallie is funding terrorism or anything.

Last edited:
Associate
I believe Microsoft would much rather have people how can't afford window's using a pirate version than letting an other operating system get a foothold.Hopefully Apple will release Osx for the pc and linux will take off more with the playstation 3. There needs to be some sort of completion for operating system.

Associate
the-void said:
DataVampire said:
piracy is done for one reason and oen reason alone, becuase most of the bigger companies out there are inclined to charge stupid prices for there software, that they even know people are not going to pay in the first place
Can you not see that companies are entitled to price their products to whatever the market will accept. There are a few things that I think have an excessive price tag but just because you cannot afford or do not agree with the price does not justify you stealing that product. You either go without, save up or find a lower priced alternative. You do not steal it.
Just like to jump in there.

I don't think that downloading a DVD rip off the internet (or even buying it off some ******* in the street) is equivalent to stealing a DVD in a shop (despite what the unskippable adverts on the last DVD I bought tell me)

If a shopkeeper buys ten copies of "Inside Man" and I steal one of them, he can only make money from 9. He's lost money on this deal.

But if I download a copy off the web (possibly because I don't want another lecture on piracy that I can't skip before I can watch the film I've paid for), he still has 10 copies to sell. I haven't stolen anything. I've committed copyright infringement. Not theft.

Copyright theft would be me pretending to be Cliff Richard and getting royalties for his work.

Copyright infringement would be me downloading an MP3 of his instead of buying the CD.

Subtle difference that the government plays down in their "download pirates are thieves" adverts.

That said, people who download and sell things are thieves and should be treated as such.

People who download for personal use (or who just give it to their friends for free) are not.

Last edited:
Associate
the-void said:

I never said it funds terrorism or drugs. In fact the Metropolitan police said the criminal gangs in London are turning to counterfiet software and DVD's because they actually make more profit on them then selling cocaine. (And it used to be with a lot less risk as well)

Are you saying that some forms of theft are ok because of the value involved. I imagine you wouldn't mind a few minor items being stolen from your shed, or someone pick pocketing your wallet for £20 then. Or is that different because it is affecting you personally. You cannot justify theft in any form unless you don't mind being stolen from yourself. How do you know I do not work in any of the industries that yourself or MrLOL says its ok to steal from? If I came into your work place and started helping myself to things I doubt you would accept my argument that it's all ok because I am just a casual thief.

I cannot beleive you tenacity to assume that everyone thinks the same way as you about copyright theft. Recording a TV program is not piracy. If you duplicate that copy and make a profit from it, then that's piracy. You should really look into copyright issues if you are interested in it that much.

It depends on what you do with the article and if you own the book in the first place. And I have to laugh, photocopying a book would cost you more than the book itself. :D

:rolleyes:
Oh puuurlease.

So because a web site uses a little logo or quotes from a news article its ok for MrLOL's relative to make 99% profit on something that does not belong to him and he has not contributed anything to in anyway does it. You will find that using a quote is not copyright and the images you speak of are completely legal. (If they are not then the webmaster can be forced to remove them or be taken to court)

So next time your walking down the street and some scallie take your iPod off you then just get a grip - have you seen the price of iPods, not everyone can afford them you know. It's not as though the scallie is funding terrorism or anything.

recording a program off the tv or recoding music from a radio station at present is still ilegal, copywrite infringement, do a google for it, they can if they choose still procede and take you to court at p[resent, the law is going to alter becuase of the increase in pvrs and dvd recorders. and you thinking its not the same as a pirated film or a pirated copy of say vista for example makes you as bas as them, and i for one have never used pirated software, i was brought up if you cant afford it you dont have it, i save realy hard for all my hardware/software needs, and the threads i see of people being given vista buisness from work, is worse, as most and i say most are not used for work, they are jsut installed on home pcs is that rite. anyhow it is just my opinion as stipulated, i dont use pirated material, although i do record the odd film of sky/tv wich is still ilegal, if thta makes me a pirate so what...........

Back
Top Bottom