Vista Activation GGGrrrrrrr

Associate
Anyone else got a copy of Vista that won't activate over the Internet? I have Ultimate 64bit installed and it activated fine the first time then today I did a bios update and it asked to activate again (why a bios update triggers that I don't know). It said my key was in use so I couldn't activate over the 'net so I had to type all the numebr in over the phone , then a bloke asked for the fist set again, then he asked for all the numbers to be read then he reads the long string back.

I had a little dig at Microsoft for this ans said that anyone who wanted to steal Vista would use a crack and would not have the hassle of a 20 min phone call with him. He didn't sem to get my point and though that the auth system was the lewast hassle for genuine customers. Windows Genuine Advantage? Advantage for who..... :mad:

Associate
The honest people out there seem to get hurt the most with the new software, the crackers have already got around it :(.

there are posts all over the web about MAPs (action pack) and how we have to suffer for our honesty.

Associate
yes that what i think its the BIOS when I installed XP retail box last time and it asked me to reactivation that why BIOS change and go back to default when I used old motherboard but now I used the K8NXP-9 which has BIOS write protection that stop BIOS from change itself - it stay still as it worked fine after Ive installed Vista Ultimate x64 last week..

when I phone MS for new activation keys it took me so long to type the digit numbers (im deaf through typetalk via my minicom) and got new keys but they gave me new Product code keys to replace the old one instead give me the long digit numbers. that how BIOS mess up itself but best to lock and write protecion in BIOS...

Associate
dbilsborough said:
Windows Genuine Advantage? Advantage for who..... :mad:

It seems to be Windows Genuine Disadvantage! It is sad how a pirated copy is nicer to use as it doesn't ask you to reactivate all the time when ya change hardware :rolleyes:

I think I'll update my bios before activating again for my new install :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Graeme43 said:
It seems to be Windows Genuine Disdvantage! It is sad how a pirated copy is nicer to use as it doesn't ask you to reactivate all the time when ya change hardware :rolleyes:

I think I'll update my bios before activating again for my new install :rolleyes:

yeah baby haha

Soldato
how many people on here have seriously had problems with activating a legal copy of Windows? i.e. not trying to activate OEM on a different system etc.

I've never had any, I've had to phone up the automated thing for XP a few times but never had any problems and it's never taken any longer than a couple of minutes.

Una

Una

Associate
Rebelius said:
how many people on here have seriously had problems with activating a legal copy of Windows? i.e. not trying to activate OEM on a different system etc.

I've never had any, I've had to phone up the automated thing for XP a few times but never had any problems and it's never taken any longer than a couple of minutes.

No serious problems activating but had to phone up a few times and thats just hassle. Software should be activation free in my opinion.

Soldato
the people who make the software have a right to protect their property though - activation doesn't cost you anything other than a moment of your time.

Windows XP must be one of the most pirated pieces of software - they have to be seen to be doing something to try and stop the pirates.

Associate
OP
Rebelius said:
the people who make the software have a right to protect their property though - activation doesn't cost you anything other than a moment of your time.

Windows XP must be one of the most pirated pieces of software - they have to be seen to be doing something to try and stop the pirates.

I agree, but the activation doesn't stop pirates does it? I bought their software because it's the right thing to do, I could easily have downloaded it and had none of the activation nonsense couldn't I. If their activation was unbreakable then fair play we all have to do it, but when your genuine customers are put to more trouble than the people you are trying to prevent using your software it's time for a rethink ;)

Caporegime
funniest thing is

when you buy a pirated copy of Windows Vista for £2 or whatever

you get a little message "it appears you may be a victim of software piracy"

Ohh trust me microsoft. Its not me who'se the victim ;)

Soldato
MrLOL said:
funniest thing is

lol! I too have Vista Ultimate 64bit.....FInding it awesome I must say

Soldato
MrLOL said:
funniest thing is

No - you're right, you aren't the victim.
There are however victims - it is a proven fact that those people behind software piracy aren't just into software piracy but other things too.
Software piracy alone is certainly not profitable enough for them not to have their fingers in a lot more pies.
Your idea that piracy is a victimless crime is a little bit worrying - but there, a typical example of somebody attempting to justify theft.
Don't dig too deep - as long as there is a demand for software piracy these people will provide it and they will continue to keep their fingers in various criminal activities.
But as long as you keep your fingers in your ears and pretend it's just a victimless crime it just doesn't seem too bad does it?

Associate
Ive not activated mine yet, so that I can fiddle around with hardware etc.

Ive still not managed to set Vista up on my SATA yet.
I have the 32/64 package ( Thanku OC ) and until ive got it right wont be doing the activation. Id rather try the re-arm method 1st whilst things get sorted. No long telephone calls then until everything is sweet !!

Associate
stoofa said:
There are however victims - it is a proven fact that those people behind software piracy aren't just into software piracy but other things too.
Software piracy alone is certainly not profitable enough for them not to have their fingers in a lot more pies.
Your idea that piracy is a victimless crime is a little bit worrying - but there, a typical example of somebody attempting to justify theft.
Don't dig too deep - as long as there is a demand for software piracy these people will provide it and they will continue to keep their fingers in various criminal activities.
But as long as you keep your fingers in your ears and pretend it's just a victimless crime it just doesn't seem too bad does it?

If you see what Ubuntu ,Open Suse and other linux distos can do for free.Then look at vista retail for £350 and god knows how much for office 2007 you see how the real thefts are.

Associate
fester said:
If you see what Ubuntu ,Open Suse and other linux distos can do for free.Then look at vista retail for £350 and god knows how much for office 2007 you see how the real thefts are.

Open SuSE kicks ass :) but its not got proper Direct X gaming (I know its a Microsoft API)

Soldato
stoofa said:

The point is, its wrong for the consumer to suffer because MS feel they need to show they are trying to prevent piracy, which in fact is so far from the truth its just nothing but harming what market they still have.

I have been using my retail XP for the last year and i've not had much activation problems at all, but its not accurate, as is apparent with Vista from what's said above..... how does a BIOS update constitute a reactivation?...

Personally, i've changed something as silly as drivers, and had to reactivate, not often, but it has happened...... so how is that not effecting me, i'm legit and its a royal pain in the butt calling the MS call center and getting the 'why did you need to reactivate' 101 from the MS techy.......

However i have found, when i reinstall now (no hardware changes, not even a memory stick etc...) that i can activate over the net, and its worked the last 5 or so times...... great, just wish it always worked......

Piracy will never be stopped........ and in the end only we suffer....

Capodecina
Soldato
Rebelius said:

Personally, I would say that if you have had to "phone up the automated thing for XP a few times", you have had trouble.

Not using Vista - had endless problems with a two-year old (pre-SP2) copy of Windows XP when I reinstalled after a system crash. Each time I 'phoned the Activation helpline, they told me that it was a pirated copy (it isn't) and to go back to my supplier. Eventually, they just gave me a new Key.

Everything I have read or heard about Vista suggests that the problem is 100% worse. It is my understanding that if I buy a Dell say and then upgrade the HDD and RAM, I simply will not be able to use my Dell supplied copy of Vista - LUNACY!

Just say NO!

Last edited:
Soldato
stoofa said:
Good points, but you are using a model that does not apply to many.

When little Johnny can download a retail ISO of Vista and apply a crack written by some guy in a back bedroom of Romania (thriving IT industry due to piracy, apparently :rolleyes: ), nobody profits from it, no drugs are bought or sold and no small children are put into slavery.

Even more ironically, it's going to be far easier for little Johnny to update his crack than it will be for many legit users of Vista to update anything of theirs.

It's a sorry state of affairs when I am tempted to leave my legit copy of Vista in its box and use a crack simply because it makes my life simpler.

Back
Top Bottom