Vista Boot Menu Issues

Associate
I have Vista Beta 2 on my C: drive which I installed over an XP Pro installation which was setup as a dual boot between XP Pro & Windows MCE.

Now when I boot my machiine I still get a dual boot menu giving me the options of Earlier Version Of Windows & Windows (Vista)

If I select Earlier Version Of Windows my old boot menu comes up with the options of XP Pro & Windows MCE but as I installed Vista over XP Pro this option does not work, MCE works fine.

Anyone got any idea how I can edit this menu or Vista's menu so I can choose between Vista & MCE directly?

I have searched for boot.ini but it appears to have disappeared.

I know I need to use a boot manager to edit vista but I don't know what to add or change.

Thanks

Nige.

Associate
OP
DavidMarq said:

I have used Vista Boot Pro but I still get my old boot menu when I select Windows MCE.

I think it is to do with the /ntldr but I don't know what I should replace this with so I don't get this second menu.

my bootloader info is as:

vistaboot.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Euro_Hunter said:
I have used Vista Boot Pro but I still get my old boot menu when I select Windows MCE.

I think it is to do with the /ntldr but I don't know what I should replace this with so I don't get this second menu.

If MCE is the same as XP then Control Panel > System > Advanced > Start Up and Recovery > Settings

Then Edit on System Startup

Remove the Opperating Systems listed that you dont want.

/Edit

Just in case I have not made this clear. Do this in MCE.

/Edit2

You may also want to set Timeout=0 if you are only leaving one OS.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I want them both, but only the Vista is working.

When I select MCE I get my previous bootmenu which gives me the choice of XP Pro or MCE, if I select MCE it does work but I want to bypass this second bootmenu.

Associate
Yep I understand now. Forget about Boot Pro do what I said above after booting MCE.

You will then not have the second boot menu after the Vista boot menu if that makes sence.

Permabanned
The problem is that vista uses a new boot manager to control dual boot between it and another os. As you already had a dual boot installed when you installed vista vista's boot menu points to this

Vista boot menu........................Windows XP Boot menu
Earlier version of Windows ----> Windows XP, Windows MCE
Windows Vista

You need to edit the Windows XP Boot menu to remove the XP entry, this means that selecting earlier version of winodws from the vista loader automatically loads Windows MCE

Back
Top Bottom