Vista+Hard disk management

Associate
Hi,

Probably been discussed before but I am a failure at the search function! Anyway Vista is constantly spinning up/stopping my D drive despite me setting it to switch off after 25 min. Once it spins up after this without being used it will switch straight back off, the problem is it spinning up for no reason.

I don't like the idea of the extra wear and tear on the disk seen as it stores all my music and downloads, as well as being the game disk. I do backup periodically but due to vista, being truly amazing at network management, managing to get about 17kb/s. Anyway rant over I do like it as an os

Is there anyway to fix this? or to get it to stop accessing for silly things. An example of this just happened where i tried to drag a folder to the other side of my desktop , required the D drive to spin up freezing the pc for a good 10 seconds. The folder not being related to the other drive in any way! But to really take the cake it will stop spinning and switch off 20-30 seconds later. What gets me more is that i can load my computer and drag icons across the desktop nearly all the time without bothering it but then i'll right click or something which requires the spare drive to spin up! :mad:

Associate
I had already turned Indexing and Superfetch (and Restore Points) off to prevent constant disk thrashing. This does not prevent constant spinning up and down (in around 5 second cycles) though.

Soldato
Opens windows defrag and untick the "run on schedule" checkbox. Don't know if that will help. Could be that its trying to defrag when it likes?

Back
Top Bottom