Visual Studio 2013 - link back to the top of the code section

Soldato
Not too sure how to best explain this, but a guy at work who recently left had a feature switched on, or installed in Visual Studio 2013 that would show him where the top of the curly brace/code section is when the top of that section disappeared off the page.

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to ask him, but it was an awesome feature!

So basically you'd have:

Code:
if(blah blah)
{
    // etc...
} --------------> link would be here, clicking it would take you back to the top of the if statement if it disappeared off the top of the screen

Don't know if that makes sense :p

Any ideas?

Thanks.

[Edit]
The links were a little like CodeLens, but we have Professional 2013 here.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah that looks right. Definitely wasn't ReSharper else I'd know about it and would have assigned the licence over to me when he left :p

Will give CodeMaid a try.

[Edit]
Not quite CodeMaid unfortunately.

Hmmmm

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hmmm, I suppose he could have, but then he left the licence on there if he did as I used the machine a few times after he left. I stupidly forgot to check plugins etc. before I formatted today as I forgot he had this awesome feature on there! :p

[Edit]
Realised that might sound like I would have stolen his licence :p. I wouldn't, just wanted to know what it was!

Will try ReSharper tomorrow.

Does anyone know the 'rules' regarding using a personal resharper licence at work? Can the licence be moved so if/when I leave I can take it with? And can the personal licence even be used within a company?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ah ok, so I can't get the £109 one, I would need the £182 one to be legal?

I just checked. No, the "Personal License" is fine, providing it's paid for by you and not reimbursed or whatever. What I meant earlier (which is before I'd actually read up on it :)) is that you buy the cheapest license that permits commercial use - i.e. you are permitted to use ReSharper to earn some wodge.

The Personal License is *your* license, not your employer's. You can't transfer it to anyone else etc. etc. A "Commercial License" permits transfer and belongs to the organisation that bought it with permission to let others use it (from an old employee to new, for example).

Soldato
OP
Thanks Dj_Jestar :)

Gonna give the trial a proper go at work tomorrow, looks pretty good. It's one of those things that I've heard everyone talk about but never really looked into!

[Edit]
Can't find the feature in ReSharper at the moment!

Last edited:
Associate
I've got it in VS here. The most promising candidates look like either Productivity Power Tools or Web Essentials.

I've got both installed, so can't pin it down between them...

Associate
Certainly ReSharper & CodeRush will do this kind of thing. A free solution which I like and indeed use in combination with both StyleCop and ReSharper is Productivity Power Tools (covers VS2010 - VS2013). This actually adds some truly lovely features into VS and really complements the document map in VS2013.

However, if you're not a novice you should be aware of "code smells". Having an IF statement that goes off screen is one such "smell".. smells a lot like crap code in fact. I suggest you review your single responsibility principal and design patterns and then refactor that beast before it come back around on you 10 months down the line.

Back
Top Bottom