Visual Studio Code

Soldato
I'm switching to Visual Studio Code because I can't afford to pay for the JetBrains IDEs, and it seems to be going OK. The only problem is that there are so many settings in VSCode that I feel a bit lost. What is your configuration, and for what languages do you use VSCode?

I have a few valuable settings in User Settings, but I'm always looking for new settings.

I use it for a multitude of languages, from writing IaC with Ansible/Terraform/PoSH to Javascript/Python/.NET Core to Markdown. I don't have any specific settings to share, as my workflow is probably different from yours. LiveServer is useful, as is GitLens.

I use it for a multitude of languages, from writing IaC with Ansible/Terraform/PoSH to Javascript/Python/.NET Core to Markdown. I don't have any specific settings to share, as my workflow is probably different from yours. LiveServer is useful, as is GitLens.
I've been using it for JavaScript and PostgreSQL. It is pleasantly fast to use. I already have LiveServer and GitLens but I'm a bit of a novice with Git so I'm probably doing something wrong.

I like it for spa javascript/html/css dev, with prettier. The main trick is to log in so you only have to set it up once.
Haven't really tried it for a massive C# solution tbh, doubt it'd be good.

Last edited:
I've tried it with large C# projects (containing multiple APIs, common libraries, data access/service layers, microservices etc.) and yeah, VSCode just doesn't cut it there. VS is the way to go for large projects, which is annoying as it seems to get more bloated and less performant every year.

Last edited:
I've tried it with large C# projects (containing multiple APIs, common libraries, data access/service layers, microservices etc.) and yeah, VSCode just doesn't cut it there. VS is the way to go for large projects, which is annoying as it seems to get more bloated and less performant every year.
I'm curious. Why is VS better than VSCode?

I only use it when wanting to search directories of code. Still pay monthly sub for Jetbrains dotUltimate.
You should switch to paying yearly. It'll save you money as the price drops per year for the first 3 years. So dotUltimate starts off at £162 inc VAT for the first year but is only £97.20 inc VAT for the third year onwards.

I'll be honest, I only use Code as a glorified notepad :cry:

I tried Code with larger .Net projects and it's just too "meh" even after adding extensions to the heavens. I do occasionally use it for PowerShell though with the PowerShell tools extension...

I'm wondering why you need to switch from JetBrains at all.

Is there some "must have" in the paid ultimate edition you use that's not available in their free community edition - and that you can get for free in VSCode ?

You can still continue using Jetbrains. They have a perpetual license. So if you stop paying then you can still use the version which was available at the last annual renewal. All that will happen is that you don't get any more updates. e.g. if your annual renewal date is end of November (regardless of whether you pay yearly or monthly) then you will have a license to use the version available in November 2021.

Or you could call or email them and ask for a Black Friday discount. That's what I did when I first took out a license. They said they don't do Black Friday but offered a discount anyway. This was a few years ago though.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why you need to switch from JetBrains at all.

Is there some "must have" in the paid ultimate edition you use that's not available in their free community edition - and that you can get for free in VSCode ?
The only JetBrains IDE with a community option is PyCharm, which doesn't support all the web dev or data science stuff. I also used WebStorm and DataGrip (for PostgreSQL). I eventually bought the JetBrains IDEs because of the time it took to keep a text editor set up with all the extensions needed. I just wanted to be able to program without worrying about configuration stuff.
You can still continue using Jetbrains. They have a perpetual license. So if you stop paying then you can still use the version which was available at the last annual renewal. All that will happen is that you don't get any more updates. e.g. if your annual renewal date is end of November (regardless of whether you pay yearly or monthly) then you will have a license to use the version available in November 2021.

Or you could call or email them and ask for a Black Friday discount. That's what I did when I first took out a license. They said they don't do Black Friday but offered a discount anyway. This was a few years ago though.
It seems I have 2021.2 and below for free, but I have to admit that since using VSCode for the last couple of weeks, the speed is impressive, and now that it syncs settings and extensions between computers, it is compelling. I will keep using it and see how it works in a longer time frame.

Back
Top Bottom