Visual Studio Express - Javascript "intellisense" not working

Associate
I've been searching for answers relating to the problem:
"intellisense was unable to determine an accurate completion list for this expression,
The provided list contains all identifiers in the file"
when coding javascript in Visual Studio express for windows 8. I could not get any of the solutions to work and I think the solutions I found might be "correct" but slightly out of date.

I'm amazed that this problem is not just fixed by Microsoft by now.

Any one have this same problem and was able to fix it?

I'm just starting to try out Visual express for windows 8 with javascript. Have not coded with this before.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Hi sorry to reply late. Didn't see this until now. Thanks for help.

Can you try Tools > Text Editor > JavaScript > IntelliSense then add a path for the references? Easier still, just flip the dropdown to web and use ~/Scripts/_references.js
I'm not sure what this means. I choose "Implicit (Web)" in the dropdown, ok. What do you mean by "use ~/Scripts/_references.js"? I see "~/Scripts/_references.js" listed as the last entry under "Implicit (Web)", and I can hilite by clicking on it, but I see no way of "choosing it".

Then if you dont already have it, add a folder called scripts, a js file called _references.js and reference your other js inside it files like this:

/// <reference path="jquery-2.0.3.js" />
/// <reference path="knockout-2.3.0.debug.js" />
Again, I'm not sure what all is meant here. I made a subfolder called "scripts" under ...JavaScript/References/. Then I don't know what you mean by "adding a file called _references.js" inside that subfolder? Or as an entry in the references window?

/// <reference path="jquery-2.0.3.js" />
/// <reference path="knockout-2.3.0.debug.js" />
These go inside the code? Or are they added in the references option window as entries? I tried both. Nothing is working so far.

Sorry for my confusion. Thanks for help :)

A couple of pics to clarify...
t8xu.jpg

ljip.jpg

Associate
OP
Thanks for helping out. I think I did what you're saying, but it still does not work.

kpug.jpg

6dzk.jpg

blre.jpg

In all other IDE's I've used, this type of info works without all this custom setting up.

Assuming I did those entries correctly, is there a way to indicate that I want "intellisense" info for ALL possible topics/libraries by putting something like "*.js* put somewhere?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Oh I thought those were general files.

Anyway, I added references to the JS files I'm working in. The debug output window says that the files are not "not found" (yes, double negative), but "intellisense" still does not work.

ow63.jpg

yuym.jpg

u0pk.jpg

yls8.jpg

Excuse my confusion, I've never used an IDE that requires this sort of setup for the code info/insight/intellisense stuff. The web is full of people asking this same question about Javascript in Visual Express, but most answers lack detail for those who are just trying out Visual Express.

But apparently this is almost set up now but something still slightly off I guess.

For some reason while I was doing this, the UI switched to white from the previous dark color without me asking it to.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom