Visual Studio problem

Soldato
Hey guys,

I've been working on my Visual Basic project for my Event Driven Programming module in my college course. However I haven't touched it since Janurary and I needed to get back to work on it today.

I downloaded the new Visual Studio 11 BETA and tried to open it up but it's just giving me this error message:-

"C:\Users\Keiron\Documents\Visual Studio 11\Projects\O'SHY Pad\O'SHY Pad\O'SHY Pad.vbproj : error : The project file could not be loaded. Root element is missing. C:\Users\Keiron\Documents\Visual Studio 11\Projects\O'SHY Pad\O'SHY Pad\O'SHY Pad.vbproj.user"

I've looked in the folder and it's there but with a different name.

O'SHYpad.vbproj.FileListAbsolute

What am I supposed to as I don't exactly want to lose all of my work!?

It was originally made in Visual Studio 2010, forgot to mention that!

O'SHYpad.vbproj.FileListAbsolute is a different file. The .user file is normally hidden - can you find it? If it's there, try renaming it - it sounds like it has become corrupted.

If that doesn't work, I'd recreate the project somewhere else (don't worry about the code), and then copy the original contents over the top. Hit Show all Files in VS11 and then include the ones you need.

If it's for your programming module, I would avoid using VS2011 unless specially requested too.

Your tutor won't be able to open the projects you save in VS2011 for example.

If the VS2011 project is built using .Net 4.5, I don't see how it could open/be compiled in VS2010.

Must try it later.

No you must make sure you target .NET 4.0, but unlike previous versions you can open solutions created in VS11 using VS2010. I have a few projects created at home using VS11 and have no issues opening them at work (VS2010).

Back
Top Bottom