Vive GearVR lens mod - anyone tried?

Soldato
interested in hearing somebody local that's had success with it. Bit too much for myself, not so good with bits that come apart, going back together again.

Associate
A guy that did it on Reddit has said he's now put the originals back as he was getting serious eye strain with the GearVR lenses.

Just something to be aware of before hacking into expensive equipment :)

Associate
OP
A guy that did it on Reddit has said he's now put the originals back as he was getting serious eye strain with the GearVR lenses.

Just something to be aware of before hacking into expensive equipment :)

True enough, I imagine everyone is different. It does seem simple enough to pop them back out and swap back, no dremel in sight (bad pun!) :D

Soldato
Order a Gear VR 2016 + Lens adaptors after uploading the .stl file to 3D Hubs for a local printing service. Won't know until early next week though myself.

Having a read there are barrel distortion correction configs for the Vive v3 or Vive Pro v12 at the time I looked. However there may be batch differences in the Gear/Vive lens so some fiddling may be required!

I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't as simple as popping the Vive lens out as the Gear VR is sacrificial for me if you get a cheap one.

Last edited:
Associate
My mate did this and i have to say the difference is very noticeable
god rays almost gone
text is so much better

i am going to be doing this myself when i find where my kids hid my gear vr

Associate
UPDATE..

got my 3d printed inserts and took my gear vr lenses out and put them in.
booted the vive up and you can see a big difference in god rays and text if you are going to do this get the eye tester and see for yourself

pro's
screen text so much better
god rays almost gone
satisfaction

cons of doing this
make sure the place you do it is as dust free as possible
i used cotton gloves when handling the lenses to clean and not to muck up lenses
have a can of air or electric air blower on hand just in case you get dust on screens

save you old lenses just in case it is not for you also taking the old lenses out i felt like a was going to break old inserts but do not be put off, i used a small flat headed screw driver to get them out
for me this little mod was worth it and i will be buying another gear vr just in case

hope this helps others

Soldato
UPDATE..

got my 3d printed inserts and took my gear vr lenses out and put them in.
booted the vive up and you can see a big difference in god rays and text if you are going to do this get the eye tester and see for yourself

pro's
screen text so much better
god rays almost gone
satisfaction

cons of doing this
make sure the place you do it is as dust free as possible
i used cotton gloves when handling the lenses to clean and not to muck up lenses
have a can of air or electric air blower on hand just in case you get dust on screens

save you old lenses just in case it is not for you also taking the old lenses out i felt like a was going to break old inserts but do not be put off, i used a small flat headed screw driver to get them out
for me this little mod was worth it and i will be buying another gear vr just in case

hope this helps others

Thanks for this.
Can you still put on prescription lens like these

Soldato
On Reddit today someone was asking if anyone had a broken Oculus Go, so they could try removing the lenses and attempt to install them on a Vive. Go Lenses are way better than any other commercially available VR lenses, but they have a completely different shape, so without different mounts (3d printed?) I don't see how this could work.

Soldato
While I think your mad popping a pro, there's a fellow extrovert on r/vive that has done just that.

"WOW is all I can really say. Without the blur the picture is so sharp and clear. It looks absolutely gorgeous. I would call this gen 2 easily"

Back
Top Bottom