Vodafone Fiber 900meg???

Soldato
It’s availability in very limited areas (as are other alt-net providers), if you can get it or any of the other alt-net options, they are usually a better bet than an OR based product.

Associate
Ive been waiting for fibre capacity to be available in my local cabinet for 6 months so the hopes of me being able to get to experience the joys of GB internet are but a dream :)

Soldato
It's begun for edinburgh, won't be completed for 12 months - BT FTTP it is for me in the mean time. Been waiting 10 years for FTTP and two come at once... Typical!

Soldato
Wonder when it'll be available for all?

Simply put, no, not in its current form. Every single alt-net provider is based on commercial viability, it’s essentially a similar process to the cable franchises back in the day - population density needs to justify quite expensive build costs, if it doesn’t, it’s not worth doing till something changes.

Soldato
There is a city fibre man hole cover 100m down the road which I'm patiently waiting the be extended. I'll be going for 500mb offering as the extra speed won't be worth it.

Soldato
There is a city fibre man hole cover 100m down the road which I'm patiently waiting the be extended. I'll be going for 500mb offering as the extra speed won't be worth it.
where are you based?

I'm stuck with bt's 330/50mbs fttp service soon, with Cityfibre rolling out in my area,the Vodafone the 500mb up and down seems tempting! i agree 1gbps becomes pointless.

Soldato
Southend. They are due to do a full rollout in the area and I saw they were hiring project managers a couple months back so probably only a little bit to wait before we start seeing roads being dug up.

Soldato
Jeez I've been waiting for 2 months for ZEN to get auth to lift some flagstones from the local authority to get a cable 9 foot from the pit to my business.

Soldato
where are you based?

I'm stuck with bt's 330/50mbs fttp service soon, with Cityfibre rolling out in my area,the Vodafone the 500mb up and down seems tempting! i agree 1gbps becomes pointless.

Gees what are people doing to need so much speed, I downgraded from 300meg to 50 Meg and the only time I notice is when I download 'Unix distros' from that popular Unix distri site...

Soldato
Woop, they are due to dig up my street within the week!

now the question, which to go for, my head says 100 as lets be honest your never going to notice the extra speed day to day. its only useful that half a dozen times a year. Plus my existing voda fftc 70mb line in peak times drops to a measly 3mb at best most nights, so speed means nothing if it cant maintain it!

Soldato
Woop, they are due to dig up my street within the week!

now the question, which to go for, my head says 100 as lets be honest your never going to notice the extra speed day to day. its only useful that half a dozen times a year. Plus my existing voda fftc 70mb line in peak times drops to a measly 3mb at best most nights, so speed means nothing if it cant maintain it!

100/100 is going to be fine for most people unless you are running your own services for remote users such as Plex or similar and need more, or are for example a very heavy downloader of Linux ISO’s.

AFAIK no UK FTTC ISP throttles like that, it’s either a line fault, or a routing/peering/remote host issue - how are you measuring this? If it’s speedtest then use a different end point. If it’s via Wi-fi then use wired, with nothing else using the connection.

Caporegime
Vodafone have oversold their core to a ridiculous degree, so people have problems on their FTTC that goes away the instant they migrate to Sky, BT, Plusnet etc. It's not worth troubleshooting if the sync numbers look good because it's out of the control of the end user.

If you buy faster than 100Mbps then you're going to have to spend the time / money cabling up your house because you're not going to see the 900Mbps over Wi-Fi. Moving to 100Mbps upstream unlocks an awful lot more than a jump from 70Mbps down to 900Mbps down does. The important thing is that it's a fibre service so the hard work is done and you're not limited by the various bodges to get data moving over telephone cables.

Associate
damn thats quite the speed. Doubt there will be a chance of it hitting my area in the next 5yrs but i can dream! I would use 900mb very much indeed.

Soldato
Vodafone have oversold their core to a ridiculous degree, so people have problems on their FTTC that goes away the instant they migrate to Sky, BT, Plusnet etc. It's not worth troubleshooting if the sync numbers look good because it's out of the control of the end user.

If you buy faster than 100Mbps then you're going to have to spend the time / money cabling up your house because you're not going to see the 900Mbps over Wi-Fi. Moving to 100Mbps upstream unlocks an awful lot more than a jump from 70Mbps down to 900Mbps down does. The important thing is that it's a fibre service so the hard work is done and you're not limited by the various bodges to get data moving over telephone cables.
I already get 900Mb over WiFi on my internal network.

Soldato
I already get 900Mb over WiFi on my internal network.

Have you considered a career in standup comedy? Wi-fi is an inherently flawed networking technology, the sync speed and throughput - especially scaled with multiple clients - simply doesn’t work in the manner you infer, it’s not comparable to an actual wired connection.

Back
Top Bottom