VOIP Advice - Basic Setup for PSTN move

Associate
Hey,

I need to move my parents landline over to VOIP, I can get the Andrews and Arnold service and have their router with voip support - but after that I am clueless in terms of hardware needed.

* Can you use multiple (ethernet?) base stations for the same number? There is a long distance, too far for DECT, between one of the phone locations and the router so a single base station wouldn't work here.
* Can you run VOIP over wifi? Like is there wifi phones, or is ethernet basestation to DECT the way to go? Or handsets that plug directly into ethernet? I guess im not sure how the VOIP bit fits in for the handsets...
* Is there any kind of voicemail service, shared across all handsets? They currently use 1571 if there is something similar?
* Any phone/base recommendations that fit the above?

Thanks!

Thanks that's really helpful, so if I need multiple base stations, do you know if those can work on the same LAN for the same single VOIP phone number?

e.g. if you have two Yealink wireless base stations on your LAN with phones on each, could you roam between them? Would picking up a phone on one tune into the call on the other like with DECT/PSTN?

Are you sure your house is big enough that you need multiple DECT bases? The range on DECT is pretty huge.

Sadly yes, it's to an outside office that has LAN access but even long range DECT (BT elements) seems to struggle for the phone. Was hoping there might be a nice VOIP solution when I move the landline over but it seems most options have some kind of base station with range limit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom