VOIP handset - Router question

Soldato
My dad has bought a Gigaset R630H phone to replace the handset he has in his shop.

The phone arrived and the first thing I noticed is it doesn't have a RJ11 socket.

So I thought it must need a basestation then to work.

I noticed the base station only has an Ethernet socket. So I rang Talk Talk to find out if you can plug in the basestation to the router and it will work? They said no.

However if I Google "can you plug gigaset base station in to router" I can find a few links where they are doing just that.

Link 1 & Link 2

So the question remains can I purchase one of these basestations plug it in via Ethernet to the router and then the phone will be able to send and receive calls through the basestation (via router)?

Thanks

Caporegime
If you buy the N300 base station and plug it into your analogue line, and then configure it to route the analogue line to the handset you have bought, then yes you can use this as a normal telephone. Stop thinking about the router, it's just confusing things.

Did you absolutely have to have the R630 handset? Because if you just wanted a telephone then you could have just bought a standard phone for sub-£30.

Associate
If it's any help I've got a spare Gigaset E630A you can have, I used this with 5 R630H phones. I've since upgraded to an N300IP and migrated to an Asterisk based system and so no longer have a use for it. Will only connect to a phone line, does NOT have Ethernet connection for connecting to a router.

e630a.jpg

No instructions as yet, although I'll have another look as they're probably in one of the phone boxes, but probably easy enough to source through Google.

If you want it PM me and make a donation to a charity of your choice...

Edit; instructions can be found HERE

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom