Volume levels in Cinemas nowadays...

Soldato
...As in why is it so loud? :mad:

I went to see the latest Avengers film today & during the action scenes (lots of them) it was like being in a Nightclub, the bass in particular was FELT rather than heard. It was the same during the Adverts & the Trailers too.

(been years since I gone to a Nightclub mind) I left the Cinema with my ears ringing & it spoiled my enjoyment of the film. I don't want to be a killjoy & sound like I'm ranting like an middle aged man (which I am :p) but don't others on here have the same opinion?

I'm going to put my Health & Safety hat on (So there) & be of the opinion that the Volume today would have been above acceptable noise levels in the workplace? If so what is the Cinema going to do about it as regards their staff?

For the record, I used to work in a Cinema many years ago & Volume levels of today back then would have been unacceptable.

Any thoughts about my rant, or should I made the thread title "Spec me a set of earplugs" :D

Soldato
It varies.

The last Vue cinema I went to was a new cinema and the sound was either too quiet, or when cranked up it was distorted to the point it just hurt your ears, not to mention the picture was slightly out of focus.

I've got a home cinema setup at home, and whilst 'loud', it's distortion free with plenty of subtle sub-bass, which I much prefer, and if the focus is out or anything, I just get up and adjust it!

I saw Into The Woods at a Wolverhampton cinema, can't remember name but it was one of those multi-screen branded jobbys. LOTS of bass and volume in that film and I didn't mind. I'm quite middle aged with 40 just around the corner, but then again, I still go clubbing :p

Associate
I went to see the original Thor at my local Vue cinema. Had to leave after 30 mins because it was so loud. Wasn't the only one either must have been 10 or 15 people who left before I did because it was just ridiculous...

/Salsa

Soldato
OP
Cinemas suck, just buy a TV :p

please note my sig in the OP. On this occasion I wanted to see the film ASAP rather than wait & watch it on my HC.

Tell the cinema, that's valuable feedback.

Done. I thought the Local Environmental heath ought to be told too.

Bass is meant to be felt... not heard. Subsonic frequencies are being reproduced meaning the sound system is doing it's job.

Not to the extent that it can feel the bass on my chest & the fact I cant hear the dialogue above the bass :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
deafcure.jpg

Years of aircraft work, heavy metal and popped eardrums mean I like it loud :D

Back
Top Bottom