VPN and remote logging in - please help!

Associate
Dear All,
I posted something a few weeks ago about servers and Domain controllers and how they all sit together. People responded and were very helpful.
I have come across something a bit complicated whilst being taught by my cousin. He has all kinds of things set up - I couldn't begin to list them, but the bit we were looking at is creating a virtual machine and it Domain controller, and that being just my machine (even though its on his machine), and then working out how to let me access this machine remotely. He did it so I can only see this DC, but the trouble is he turns all the stuff off when he is not there, so I can't use it much.
We connected to something of his through open Vpn, using an IP address, once that was live and connected on my phone we used a remote access app, and 'went in' on that. We could then see my virtual machine on my phone. The trouble is I don't understand how it all actually works. I don't understand the theory underneath it all. Why use the VPN to connect the IP address, and what do we actually connect to using that IP? I know how to operate it, but stuff 'behind' it is very grey. He gets ahead and loses me when he explains it sometimes.
Any ideas would be very helpful.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this. Hope you are all well,
Matthew - my new nickname, according to my cousin is my virtual machine and its domain (DC2) ha ha ha :-)

Back
Top Bottom