VPS/Dedicated hosting options?

Caporegime
I already have a domain name and shared hosting package with Tsohost, however due to lack of features such as: SFTP, JSP, VPN, and poor security practises (aside from insecure ftp access) such as not hashing the cpanel password, displaying it in plain text and then allowing it to be overwritten without any authentication from the tsohost control panel. I've realised I'll need to change to a different type of package and preferably a different provider.

Essentially I just want something that I can do all the same web stuff I can do on my home computer as and when I need to, ie:

Host websites based on JSP/PHP.
Host forums based on JSP/PHP.
Run an email server.
Run a web proxy.
Database management.
Allow anonymous ftp.
Allow authenticated and encrypted file management through SFTP or VPN.

I don't need a CMS or control panel, and have quite low resource requirements, probably don't need more than 1GB of storage and 10GB data transfer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Granted, they have put up their prices (lowest tier was originally ~£26p/m) but they are managed services and they do provided solid performance.

It might also be worth looking at Vooservers, they're now providing cheap VPS boxes.

Caporegime
OP
Oh I know the managed aspect is worth a fair amount of money, I actually think a failure of their business is not offering unmanaged services as many people prefer them. But £20 to setup Apache Tomcat, really?! It's free software with an open licence for gods sake; it takes about a minute to install and configure with the wizard and they probably use an ISO with it on anyway when setting up the server, what a rip.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yeah I have, I've got a refund for the hosting account. The level of provider involvement required with their hosting package was far too high to get simple things done, self-managed or unmanaged is definitely a better option for me.

Soldato
I picked up a bargain VPS from Low End Box for $8 for a year. It's OK for testing/dev but I wouldn't serve a product/site on it.

Digitalocean $5 a month. Google for a code get between 2/4 months free. So far so good.

Otherwise Linode are established and reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Soldato
You appreciate the managed option if you manage commercial sites for clients and something goes wrong. That extra money helps you sleep at night. If you don't, then self managed is the way to go. Rackspace cloud is pretty cheap for the unmanaged service...we have the managed cloud service and its great :)

Man of Honour
I've used RapidSwitch for most of my dedicated server hosting (their prices don't include VAT tho). Never had any complaints.

aln

aln

Associate
Oh I know the managed aspect is worth a fair amount of money, I actually think a failure of their business is not offering unmanaged services as many people prefer them. But £20 to setup Apache Tomcat, really?! It's free software with an open licence for gods sake; it takes about a minute to install and configure with the wizard and they probably use an ISO with it on anyway when setting up the server, what a rip.

You aren't paying for the software, you're paying a fee because they obviously don't want to deal with tomcat. They've probably just have less experience with dealing with it and are charging on the assumption of spent time. I wouldn't pay it myself like, but there you go. :p

Caporegime
OP
You appreciate the managed option if you manage commercial sites for clients and something goes wrong. That extra money helps you sleep at night. If you don't, then self managed is the way to go. Rackspace cloud is pretty cheap for the unmanaged service...we have the managed cloud service and its great :)

Yeah I bet. Luckily I am only hosting stuff for myself.

You aren't paying for the software, you're paying a fee because they obviously don't want to deal with tomcat. They've probably just have less experience with dealing with it and are charging on the assumption of spent time. I wouldn't pay it myself like, but there you go. :p

The installation is surely automated though? How many person-hours needs to go into installing something as simple as that? :p

I'll have a look at some of your guys other suggestions too, thanks.

Last edited:

aln

aln

Associate
The installation is surely automated though? How many person-hours needs to go into installing something as simple as that? :p

Naw the business will be charging you at £80 p/h rounding to the nearest 15 minutes while the guy doing the work will be getting about £7 an hour. =p

And you never know, I used to have to manually setup IIS websites because they weren't automated at the place I worked while the lamp ones were.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I've used RapidSwitch for most of my dedicated server hosting (their prices don't include VAT tho). Never had any complaints.

£31.32 inc vat per month for a completely customisable dedicated server, with 2 cores, 8GB RAM, 160GB storage and 10TB bandwidth lol. Put's TSO's virtual server at £45 per month to shame!

Caporegime
OP
Ok, so if I went for one of these dedicated servers from Rapidswitch. What software do you recommend for the various things I want to do and what OS should I use?

To start off with I require JSP and PHP hosting, a firewall, and SFTP or VPN (preferable) capabilities.

So maybe Apache HTTP, Apache Tomcat, Comodo Firewall. I guess I could use something like filezilla for SFTP? But what about VPN?

Backups will be done daily by synching the server data with my desktop and an off site file store. Data amount is not expected to be large.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I've been running my own home web/ftp server for years with apache tomcat/xampp, I'm just asking for people's opinions on what they would use with this type of service because I'd rather be safe than sorry given the totally different scale of the thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom