VPS recommendations...

Soldato
Folks,

I've been using 123-reg for VPS services for a while now, but feel they are falling a bit behind the times and I'm interested in looking at other providers. I'd be interested in know what other people are using and are happy with.

My vps need is pretty basic - Ubuntu server, single core, 1-2GB Ram, 25GB HD, no cpanel needed. I use primarily for basic functional security testing.

123-reg vps's are stuck on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which is kinda weak - I don't want to have to do a full dist-upgrade everytime I reimage the box.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Moley

Hitman
Soldato
I'm a big fan of Vultr, after having moved there from Digital Ocean and Linode. They've recently announced their new "high frequency" servers which are powered by NVME storage, and just last week I finished migrating two VPS's over to these new servers - they are blazing fast.

You can deploy in London, Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt, across the US/Canada and some regions of Asia, but you can only deploy the new "high frequency" servers in New York right now. They've said by the end of Summer they'll have them rolled out elsewhere.

Their non-NVME servers are still very good (especially for the price & features), but my use case means NVME is highly beneficial so I jumped straight on them and will probably redeploy them in London once they're available!

(The VPS's I have are loaded with RunCloud.io - I previously used ServerPilot but they've kinda priced themselves out and RunCloud have been fantastic)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
^ I have a VPS on Vultr too, not had any problems at all.

You should look at something like Puppet (here's a quick tutorial - you don't need to run a full blown server, I just clone my install scripts from Bitbucket onto the machine and run them) for provisioning your servers easily if you do it a lot. Once you get your head around it it's great: you can use it to install all your utilities, change values in config files, install your SSH certificates, configure firewall rules etc.

If I were you I'd then look at running Docker images on top of your base server to run all your workload though, it's much easier to pick/shift your images to a new server and writing your own images is really easy.

Soldato
I'm a big fan of Vultr, after having moved there from Digital Ocean and Linode. They've recently announced their new "high frequency" servers which are powered by NVME storage, and just last week I finished migrating two VPS's over to these new servers - they are blazing fast.

You can deploy in London, Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt, across the US/Canada and some regions of Asia, but you can only deploy the new "high frequency" servers in New York right now. They've said by the end of Summer they'll have them rolled out elsewhere.

Their non-NVME servers are still very good (especially for the price & features), but my use case means NVME is highly beneficial so I jumped straight on them and will probably redeploy them in London once they're available!

(The VPS's I have are loaded with RunCloud.io - I previously used ServerPilot but they've kinda priced themselves out and RunCloud have been fantastic)

How are you finding Vultr in comparison to Linode? I've been using Linode since 2010 and have $12 credit on an old Vultr account and am thinking of testing them out on a new website I am about to launch. I've also used Digital Ocean in the past but I've been with Linode for so long that I'm not really up to speed on the competition.

Hitman
Soldato
How are you finding Vultr in comparison to Linode? I've been using Linode since 2010 and have $12 credit on an old Vultr account and am thinking of testing them out on a new website I am about to launch. I've also used Digital Ocean in the past but I've been with Linode for so long that I'm not really up to speed on the competition.

I honestly never had any troubles with either Digital Ocean or Linode - the only reason we moved to Vultr was that, at the time, we had servers with both DO + Linode and we wanted to consolidate them to a single provider and Vultr provided better specs for the money. I much prefer Vultr's "management" panels over both DO + Linode, but we're talking ~5 years ago now since I used them so would be hard to draw an up to date comparison!

Soldato
I honestly never had any troubles with either Digital Ocean or Linode - the only reason we moved to Vultr was that, at the time, we had servers with both DO + Linode and we wanted to consolidate them to a single provider and Vultr provided better specs for the money. I much prefer Vultr's "management" panels over both DO + Linode, but we're talking ~5 years ago now since I used them so would be hard to draw an up to date comparison!

Thanks for the reply. I'll spin up a Vultr instance and see how I get on with them. I'm planning on building a static website so I want maximum speed from it. I'll see how I get on with them. I might as well use up my $12 credit anyway.

Associate
If your requirements are more "cheap and cheerful" than enterprise-level then consider DigitalOcean. They're budget friendly but still good. Linode are also extremely solid but more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom