VR Headset for Sim Racing

Soldato
Thanks for all that!
Currently running i5 8600k and GTX 1080 (neither are currently overclocked). I do fully intend a rebuild as soon as I can get a 3xxx series card without having to re-mortgage the house.
As for titles, it’s really just Dirt Rally and F1 these days. I dabble in Project Cars now and again.
Perhaps even with these slightly less resource hungry titles I’m being optimistic with my current hardware?

I run a G2 with my spec in sig below. Handles it reasonably well in most games. Obviously settings turned down but it's smooth and looks sharp enough still. Far from unplayable at least. I'm going to upgrade when the new cards drop end of this year.

Soldato
VR is much more demanding than 2D games. You won't be able to crank up the supersampling on a 1080 but you should be able to get a reasonably playable framerate. You may have to drop to 72hz, or run at 90 and let the headset interpolate at 45fps. The Quest's motion smoothing is excellent, and gives great results.

The good thing about the Quest 2 is the panel resolution is so high it has almost no visible pixels, so even if you do run at a lower resolution it won't look as bad as it did on older VR hardware where the 'screen door' effect was very distracting.

Soldato
Colleague at work recently bought a quest2 and also had a 1080. He did struggle with it, but to be honest it was probably him more than anything lol

If you get poor performance, might be worth trying the original assetto corsa. That works great in VR, and with it being an old game it shouldn't be too demanding (and also cheap as chips to buy, cdkeys has it for less than a fiver).

This is me on it (although I did install quite a few mods)

Underboss
Colleague at work recently bought a quest2 and also had a 1080. He did struggle with it, but to be honest it was probably him more than anything lol

If you get poor performance, might be worth trying the original assetto corsa. That works great in VR, and with it being an old game it shouldn't be too demanding (and also cheap as chips to buy, cdkeys has it for less than a fiver).

This is me on it (although I did install quite a few mods)

that looks really cool

just wish a had the space for a steering wheel

Soldato
that looks really cool

just wish a had the space for a steering wheel

You don't need a lot of space. I have a Playseat Challenge folding racing seat and a Logitec wheel and pedals.

Folds up into a very small footprint that can be put out of the way in a corner, or cupboard.

Unfolds and folds in a jiffy, and gives an incredibly realistic driving experience in VR.

Soldato
I've just sold my quest2 and ordered a reverb g2 direct from HP. £549 using my works discount (think it's just a link to the education store) and I think they are sending out the V2 upgraded model.

Email says it's coming next week so will report back my findings.

Soldato
OP
I've just sold my quest2 and ordered a reverb g2 direct from HP. £549 using my works discount (think it's just a link to the education store) and I think they are sending out the V2 upgraded model.

Thanks, will keep an eye out.
Just a quick update, got sidetracked at home for a few days and have since decided to hold off for a little while and not rush into buying just for now. I’m keeping an eye out for a used Quest 2 as was recommended by @ShiWarrior. I got cold feet taking the full plunge just in case it’s not for me.

Soldato
Soldato
If you get a real bargain, then second hand is fine, but I'd be looking sub £200.

Personally, I think new makes the most sense, if bought online you have 14 days in the UK to return, but plenty of online stores now offer 30 days, so you can have a month to see if it's good for you.

Associate
Yeh i'd say get a new 1 too where quest 2 is concerned, often they're not much cheaper 2nd hand i.e. i got £250 for my used q2, you don't know how well used it is and how much battery charge its holding, mine seemed to have less battery life when charged compared to when it was new.

Soldato

I hope you have better luck with the comfort than you had with the Quest 2.

Soldato
I hope you have better luck with the comfort than you had with the Quest 2.

oh I do mate, that was one of the reasons I sold it. Not the only reason, but one of them. Let's hope the g2 fits my silly thin face a bit better.

I was going to wait for project cambria, but I figured it almost certainly won't have a direct video input and heard it's not really designed for gaming, plus it will be expensive. I'm willing to try the g2, and looking forward to getting it.

Soldato
G2 is probably the best headset right now for sims full stop.

The revision2 version improves in a number of areas, though the controllers still suck by comparison to the Index or Quest 2.

Will be interested to see what you think of it, especially in the clarity, FOV and lenses as that's what makes the biggest difference in sims.

Back
Top Bottom