VR On A budget

Associate
I'm wondering, is it possible to get a cheaper Chinese smartphone that is quite close to say the Galaxy 7 series spec? Then overclock, mod it so I could run VR sci-fi games on it. Know little about CPUs, overclocking, but am interested in electronics, amateur radio. I love sci-fi would be great to do VR affordably.
Cheers:

Associate
Yeah I don't think that's going to get a good enough experience to be honest. The 64gb Quest 2 is probably the absolute best bang for your buck unless you can find a Quest 1 for sub £200

Soldato
Yeah, basically an Oculus Quest is the cheapest option for VR that gives you the full experience.

You can get an Oculus Quest 1 for around £150-175 second hand going by eBay. Though the Quest 2 is worth the extra outlay IMO if funds are available.

Playstation VR is pretty decent as well though by the time you get the PS4, headset, cameras and move controllers it'll probably work out more expensive than a Quest.

Associate
yeah in terms of value and budget the Quest 2 64GB is your starting position and then you have to comprise on price vs. quality from there

2nd hand could be an option but you'd need to get one from a reliable source as you could inherit something with faults and being out of warranty, personally I wouldn't waste ur money on trying to get a VR HMD experience via any smartphone

Associate
You can't really call 3 degrees of freedom "virtual reality", at that point it's just a screen strapped to your face. 6 DoF is what you're going to want, and a smartphone isn't going to get you near that

Back
Top Bottom