VR racing of choice?

Soldato
I've picked up a Logitech G29 with some pedals and a shifter. Not the best gear out there granted but I think it'll be ok to get my toes dipped into a racer.

There seems to be a few out there that gets good reviews just wondering which you guys here are currently playing and why?

Soldato
Can't really go wrong with Assetto Corsa and PCARs2.

AC looks better in VR IMO. With the same SS and with AA on, I find that PC2 looks rougher and is a little more demanding. Still, it does have proper day/night and stuff and the menu's are in VR, so there's that, but you can use the virtual desktop in the Rift Core beta if you want everything in VR when playing AC + there's a pretty decent mod for headlights and sunset/night racing.

I also prefer the driving and content (official and modded) in AC, but that's just my preference.

Oh, and there's Dirt Rally if that's your thing. Very good in VR, though it is more likely to make you chuck up :D

Soldato
Big fan of Project Cars 2 myself... I feel the VR implementation is very well done and there are some good improvements to handling and force feedback over Project Cars 1.

I have tried Asseto Corsa too, also very good but the overall implementation (menus etc) didn't seem as good when I last tried it a fair while ago, might be different now.

Soldato
Nah, AC menus are the same as they always were... Using Content Manager is the way to go, but you'll still need to use a virtual desktop to have it in VR.
Despite it not being my preferred game, PC2 is still very good and with Jack Spades files is light years ahead of PC1 in handling/FFB. Weather also looks great and I have to admit that it does provide a better atmosphere than AC.

Associate
Absolute number one choice for my is rFactor 2. It comes down to a simple thing for me, do you want more realism with the car or more realism with the graphics? rFactor 2 has astonishing physics when you tune it in. I am part of a Community on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/EXILEDVIRTUALMOTORSPORTS/) and they are a great bunch who can help. They also do Raceroom and AC. But if you're not that fussed and want more immersion via Graphics and visuals then Pcars2 will always make you smile. There is a new version of AC coming out soon too which looks great. But for me, rFactor 2 always wins!

Associate
I love AC but play PC2 more because I do a Time Trial on it (www.stoopidchallenges.com) if you're interested, default setups so no advantages to be engineered in. Hopefully this TT restarting will give me more AC seat time. I prefer the lighter more subtle FFB in PC2 and have to dial it down in AC as it's just too much for me. I actually find that taking the headset off to navigate the menus gives me a welcome break from the VR face cooker...I take it off in PC2 as well even though there's no real need to. If you want online racing join a community as crabcrust suggested, sadly I have too busy a life to commit to regular race slots so it's TT only for me at least for now.

Dirt Rally is insane, only for the brave, which isn't me...I much prefer a track and no trees awaiting me to inflict flaming death on me and the car.

As for RF2, I know a lot of people say it's the shining beacon of realism but well I own it and I've tried it and can only say I was disappointed, I couldn't hand on heart say it was better than AC and I know it's blasphemy to say this to any RF2 fan but it didn't seem a million miles away from PC2 handling wise either. All the games have astonishing physics if you "tune them in", but you should make your own mind up about which you prefer, each have cars that are better out of the box. RF2 seems to have a clear path on what it's doing now after a few years in no mans land so I'll keep trying it out, more choice is always better. In terms of plug and play for me PC2 is easiest, then AC...RF2 is a bit of a faff but does work on some tracks...

Soldato
Absolute number one choice for my is rFactor 2. It comes down to a simple thing for me, do you want more realism with the car or more realism with the graphics? rFactor 2 has astonishing physics when you tune it in. I am part of a Community on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/EXILEDVIRTUALMOTORSPORTS/) and they are a great bunch who can help. They also do Raceroom and AC. But if you're not that fussed and want more immersion via Graphics and visuals then Pcars2 will always make you smile. There is a new version of AC coming out soon too which looks great. But for me, rFactor 2 always wins!

RF2 can be great. I especially love the visceral audio on certain cars and Steam workshop is great for easily finding good mods in one place with a single click. FFB can also be very good.
Apart from visuals (which aren't terrible), the thing is that you really need to get involved with a group or league if you want to do more than hotlap or race AI.
It's also not that user friendly, though it's not rocket science.
Menus in VR is a plus.

As for the new AC, it's only GT3 with no modding support, so there's still plenty of life in the old dog for those that want variety.

So yeah, all the games mentioned are good :D You've just gotta find the one that suits you best :)

Last edited:
Associate
AC Competizione is already on my wishlist in Steam, hopefully it'll be reasonably priced on early access, but as an FIA licenced game I expect it'll be nearer £50...

Soldato
You want both Pcars 2 and Assetto.

The single player stuff in Project cars 2 is light years ahead of Assetto, offering very rewarding progression. Looks great too but you'll need the best of the best to exploit those looks, anything below 1080ti and you ain't super sampling. Assetto is the more functional game in terms of the way in runs given the current limitations of power needed to get a fluid experience, certainly a better experience online. Public racing in Assetto doesn't boot everybody after the race ends, you tend to get people sticking with the server for another go and others that have joined mid race being on the server ready and waiting. Pcars on the other hand you can't join mid, and servers are ghost towns up until just before the race starts, and when it's done everybody boots and the circle completes.

One of the best things you can do to improve the experience of either is grab a racing seat, the awesome experience of VR jumps another level.

Associate
I'm only looking into VR now, but as for racing sims.

Project Cars 2 is great for visual and breadth of content. The thing that lets it down is that it tries to bite off some seriously complicated stuff like proper tyre simulation, then gets itself all tied up in bugs. The concept tyre modelling in PCars2 is amazing, but the implementation is frustratingly different. Even if it did work without bugs, the AI don't use the same model, so any tactics and strategy you might want to play out based on tyre wear, weather and pit stops is immediately mooted as the AI will be uneffected while you are. Out side the the tyre model the same applies to the rest of PCars2. Great concept, poor implementation, full of bugs. You will find some classes or car at some circuits completely undrivable. Cars which can't be driven except on wet tyres for example. The net code is full of holes with random disconnects and lobby splits etc. This is what is primarily holding PCars2 back from being taken up by commercial eSport.

Race Room Experience which I installed at the weekend after dozens of recommendation seems much more focused on the racing rather than the features list and graphic detail. This makes it ideal for online championships and eSports. It's almost proud of the list of things it doesn't support. It's free to play with default content, you pay for tracks and cars. It has actual money winning eSport events and many more community events to enter.

So to answer your question with recommendations.

Start with Raceroom as it's free.
Consider PCars2 and Assetto
F12018 is worth considering, though most simcade.

Soldato
Also LFS and Raceroom, both are freemans, which is a bonus. Well until you want to buy more tracks and cars but just buy what you like.

With Raceroom, buy some vrp (their currency) and get the starter pack less than a tenner.

Last edited:
Associate
Also LFS and Raceroom, both are freemans, which is a bonus. Well until you want to buy more tracks and cars but just buy what you like.

With Raceroom, buy some vrp (their currency) and get the starter pack less than a tenner.

In Raceroom. Also be aware that if you DO get into the game and start playing in online events it is cheaper to fork out the £50 (ish) for the full pack. Buying car-class packs and track packs works out about twice as expensive over all.

That said, individual tracks are like £3 and individual cars are £2-3.

Soldato
In Raceroom. Also be aware that if you DO get into the game and start playing in online events it is cheaper to fork out the £50 (ish) for the full pack. Buying car-class packs and track packs works out about twice as expensive over all.

That said, individual tracks are like £3 and individual cars are £2-3.
But they do knock money off for the stuff you already own.

Associate
But they do knock money off for the stuff you already own.

They do yes. However, I checked before I bought anything:

Full Pack was actually £60

I bought the WTCR pack (tracks and cars) for £28.
I then bought the GTR3 car class and Euro track pack: £24 combined.
Now the Full Pack will still cost me £30.

Associate
You could have got everything for 50 Euro buying the Vrp, whatcha playing at Paul? :)
I know. I wasn't planning on buying much content, but I bought the WTCC accidentally instead of WTCR, then I got invited to a race with GTR3, so had to buy that... luckily someone pointed out I should just by the Pro pack. So I now have most things. Bathurst I probably still need to buy.

Associate
Anyway, I bought an Oculus, so I'm currently waiting the agonising time it is taking to download the 4.83Gb of software! Grrr. I bet most of that is some crummy demos and I could have downloaded the drivers in 10 minutes and done other stuff while they download their demos.

Soldato
Anyway, I bought an Oculus, so I'm currently waiting the agonising time it is taking to download the 4.83Gb of software! Grrr. I bet most of that is some crummy demos and I could have downloaded the drivers in 10 minutes and done other stuff while they download their demos.

There is some very cool stuff in that 5gb download, it's well worth the wait.

Project Cars 2 is my go-to racing game. With a racing chair, wheel and pedals it's an incredibly immersive experience.

Back
Top Bottom