VR... wait or invest now?

Soldato
I want to dabble in VR but I'm really undecided as I've never tried it. Are there any places I can demo the rift / vive /ps VR.

I have a PS4. Waiting for new NVIDIA seires then I will invest in a solid rig to power some VR goggles. Anything good on the horizon?

Is PSVR a decent representation of the tech?
Rift or Vive?
Are the graphics on VR as good as say pancake 1080p... or are they like pancake 480p?

Soldato
OP
You guys are totally right. No tech is really an investment.

Hmmmm Vive vs Rift vs Samsung Odyssey is my burning question?
Has VR progressed yet to be more than a bunch of tech demos?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, does anyone know where I can demo a Rift and a vive?

I think the price of the pro is too much... for that I can get a huge rig upgrade!

Soldato
OP
The pro isn't worth the price difference. I asked you already, but, maybe if you say where you are somebody on the forums with a Rift or Vive might live close to you and might give you a demo.

I have no friends who game sadly so I'm kind of stuck :(

Soldato
OP
TBH I actually prefer the PSVR headset to the Vive, Oculus and WMR ones. The optics are way better quality (Less Screen Door, no God rays) and it's particularly good value now you can buy them for under £250. Also, the ergonomics/build quality of the headset are the best of the current crop. Plus there are quite a few Sony exclusives like WipeOut/FarPoint/etc which are genuinely amazing.

The only real downside of the PSVR setup is that with just the one camera the 6DOF tracking isn't as good as the other VR systems. I still think that for the money it's the best all round experience though.

@aoaaron : Do you have a PS4/Pro or a decent spec gaming PC already?

im trying to trade in my ps4 500gb OG + 250£ atm for a PS4 pro

Soldato
OP
PSVR over any PCVR? Not a chance, the ps move controllers are terrible, the tracking is awful due to the single ps camera. Room scale, is VR, the sense of presence it gives is amazing, moving around your play space is just brilliant, the PSVR can’t do it anywhere near as good, despite the games flaws, Budget Cuts is a perfect example of VR, I recomend trying it if possible. I’m not a huge fan of the Vive Wands, I would rather use the oculus touch controllers any day, but even the Vive wands are miles ahead of the poor PS4 move controllers.

Wipeout on the PSVR is excellent though.

The WMR headsets can be had pretty cheap (around £200) if you search for refurbished or eBay(new), In the USA they are regularly available for $150ish, might be worth trying to get one and paying for shipping?

Thanks man!

What are the best VR games? I'm shocked how AAA have neglected VR. :(

Soldato
OP
From a potential buyers perspective,

VR DEFINITELY lacks a Breath of the Wild... you know a game which makes you just buy a console instantly, knowing the experience will be incredible.

The resolution still really really worries me. :(

Soldato
OP
But, it's not the games that are holding you back from buying one is it? You seem to be most concerned with the resolution. Let's use your example of Breath of the Wild, and you have no PC capable of VR or a VR headset. Would you, with your concerns about the low resolution, buy/upgrade a PC, then buy a VR headset just for that one game? If it gets to the stage where people can just buy a headset for the game price as a console, then people will might buy based on the strengths of one game.

And, I know I am repeating myself now. But, pancake gaming and VR gaming are totally different. Do you like Skyrim for example? With pancake Skyrim you are controlling a character on screen. But, in Skyrim VR, you are the character. It doesn't matter how well I explain it or write about it, you still won't understand what I am talking about until you actually put on a headset and play a game.

Look it, you have been sitting on the fence for weeks now. Buy the Rift, buy it today. You will be amazed.

Yes I would.

I bought a switch knowing the game library was very poor, they weren't likely to have a good 2019 games wise, the resolution of the screen is meh, the framerate is meh and there will be a version 2 of the console in a couple of years.. because BOTW is that good.

I also bought a PS4 pretty much exclusively due to Bloodborne.

I also bought a PS3 late last gen just to play TLOU.

I agree though, you are right in many ways. I think my main worries about buying/investing in VR at present are:
1. Waiting for NVIDIA new graphics card
2. I'm actually playing pancake Skyrim now sadly so not sure if double dipping and playing freshly after pancake will have the same impact
3. I think my gaming room is too small as it stands because my 65 inch tv takes up a bit of space as I didn't wall mount it.

It also however doesn't help that theres not that flagship title which makes me throw points 1-3 logic to the wind and get one.

I'm not trying to be critical of the VR experience as I haven't experienced it and I'm sure its awesome. However I think its hard to debate that the quality of games is sadly lacking and it doesn't help when titles like REsident evil which look AWESOME on the PSVR aren't being ported over even a year later. :(

Soldato
OP
Even with a killer app, VR isn't gonna be mainstream anytime soon. PC gaming itself is expensive and niche as it is.

OP, if you have a decent enough PC and have the funds available, just buy a Rift/Vive and try it out. Send it back if you don't like it.
You'll either forgive what they lack in resolution and get on with enjoying the experience or you won't.
If you don't have a PC, don't buy one just for this. Get one if you want a gaming PC anyway.

I think you're right and I'm going to do this. Once NVIDIA release a card, I'll just buy one and if I find I can't get it working in my setup, return it. Its just deciding if rainforest is the best place with a good returns policy.

Soldato
OP
I’ve ordered a psvr for now and will pick us a PS4 pro, if I enjoy it.. I’ll pick up an oculus when I get a 2080/1080ti.

I do have quite a small space and a 65 inch tv on a wall which is just screaming to get smashed, hence why I’m a bit hesitant to dip straight into the rift.

The PS4 is also a quite easy to move comPared to my heavy ass pc. However long term wise the plan is to get a rift but I’m not sure if I will need a new processor too 4670k at present.

My logic is psvr is pickup and play vr system I can move into any room easily whilst my oculus/pc will be much more painful to setup and move but ultimately better.

Soldato
OP
So... I played superhot for about 4 minutes and I'm SOLD. This is on PSVR.
My mum played it and now shes sold too lol...

I think I will need to hold off the rift until I get a bigger space to play. at the moment my playspace is too small and I face a 65 inch LED TV which is just waiting to get smashed.

The sense of immersion is simply ridiculous. I can't wait to play more titles.

Soldato
OP
Hit my TV today, its still standing/working. I think my playspace is sadly too small for proper VR which is a bit of a bummer.

Sadly I'm also very much so now immersed in the tech and will look to buy a GTX 2080 + Oculus rift [or Vive] in the next month or so.

I think I'm edging towards the Rift and VorpX. Its really hard to describe the ridiculous immersion VR gives compared to 2D gaming. Sadly I think my space constraints means I can't fully realise the potential of room-scale or tracking as I'm constantly worried about banging into something.

I'm looking for a house and one of the pre-requesities is a room I can dedicate to VR hahaha.

Soldato
OP
Playing superhot... had to walk off a ledge/building.

I bottled it.
Couldn't do it. Had to slip off the headset and walk off it whilst looking at the TV. then slipped it back on mid-fall.

I've jumped off a million buildings in flat-gaming with EPIC, phenomenal, BEAUTIFUL visuals and effects.. and never felt a single thing.

I just WISH Nintendo could get on the VR Hype train. They would absolutely destroy it. Sadly im 99% sure it won't happen for 5-10 years.

Back
Top Bottom