VW Polo Was 'Broken' into last night

Associate
So last night someone gained access to our VW Polo on our drive, went through every crook and cranny to steal our TomTom only but left everything else out on the seats like mints, papers etc. I only found out when I got into the car in the morning to drive to work, didn't hear a thing through the night.

Someone at work has talked about this sort of thing happening around our area and to them, the thieves use some sort of device to open the car lock by scanning an area for the fob code and then replicating it to basically just unlock your car. So they must just sit around in the evening waiting for people to come home and scan a load of fobs, then return in a week or something

Financially not that of an issue, £100 tom-tom, ok can replace with £40 from eBay....but anyway to stop this happening? I presume we need to take it to VW and get them to reset the code.

Associate
OP
I don't the intricacies of how it is done, but when a colleague who lives round the corner says they had it happen to 3 houses in a row when she had theirs done and I was confident I locked the door as I do every night... is it not possible?

Perfectly open to it being by force or by other means, I'm not saying they 'hacked my polo' to steal my £100 TomTom but maybe they did it to certain area, got lots and just hoped to find something good in each car?

If your saying there is no actual way of it technically being possible to replicate the fob to unlock then I stand corrected and I will have to admit that I either forgot to lock it, its failed to lock, or they forced it open and I can't see evidence of it.

Associate
OP
Gaygle, ok ok, I concede. I forgot to lock it. Thanks for your help.

kinobestew123 thanks for the story, interesting to hear others have had similar strange 'happenings'

Dav4 - the car is key ignition/start and has a fob with key that 'flicks out and 3 buttons with lock, unlock and boot

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
People seem to be getting hooked up on the fact that I was lucky and had nothing valuable in my car. They didn't know what was in the glove compartment, just like they don't know whats in the Range Rover Sport around the corner.

There are plenty of £50k + cars around my area so I can assure you it is probably well worth the time on some of them.

Back
Top Bottom