VWDRC & me

Soldato
I know many have followed my (quite slowly progressing) thread here, well It's 98% finished now all taxed insured and MOT'd.

Well I've decided to do Volkswagen drag racing in it, well I may as well get the most out of it as I've been working on it so damn long!!

The season consists of 7 meets, 5 of which are at santapod which is 5 mins from my house, so well handy, the other 2 are at shakespeare county raceway, everyone has to do at least one of the shakey meets to qualify for the years points.

april 2-4 - easter thunderball @ pod
april 23-35 - big bang @ pod
may 1-3 - spring nationals @ shakey
june 19-20 - summer nationals @ pod
july 23-25 - bug jam @ pod
august 28-30 - open sports nationals @ shakey
september 25-26 - national finals @ pod

Car & me not ready for easter so this weekend 'big bang' will be my 1st of the year.

You've got sportsman, pro and AE classes, sportsman if your car is slower that 12.99 for the 1/4 mile pro if your quicker and then alternative engine.

Although many have the opinion that my car would be in pro class I've done a couple of RWYB's and have fairly consistantly been 14.5~ish so a good 1.5 secs off target, I was untill the rolling road I did this monday getting a bit annoyed about this as I know I'm new to it (I've never thrown ANYTHING down the 1/4 mile) and on my last (trophey winning trip) I had 'judgie' a very well respected vw racer & owner of RNJ Motorsport giving me help & advice / along with a maybe overly healthy dose of mick tacking, was failing to see how technique improvements would gain me over 1.5 secs (.5 - 1 maybe).

As mentioned "until the rolling road" where firstly car was running like a container of pooh in the morning to work, basically running on 3, the plugs are real cold ones so it fouls easily thought that was what it was so after checking and finding no problems outside Northampton Motorsport was begining to worry. Not to worry though they stuck it on the rollers and when troy attached the timing light lead to no.1 and it earthed through his fingers we found that that lead was borked - luckily they had one I could borrow for the time being. Car running better again..........
Then after some fiddling troy turns round to me with the end of the throttle cable in his hands " errrrr, this just broke", again luckily as they do a lot with kit cars they had cable in stock and also it wasn't a cow to change = result!
Back on with the serious business of tuning it, troys working his magic but 'feels'(think he's a jedi or summit) that the injectors aren't right, we whip them out test them, see one is a mile off the correct spray pattern (although all near identical volumes) so 20 mins in the ultrasonic bath BINGO, back on it going well, only thing is my screemer pipe is REAL short and is sending the lambda reading mental when wastegate is chattering as it's managing to recirculate air so lambda 11+ is impossible so I need to sort a longer pipe and return. Troy didn't want to tune top end because of the lambda readings didn't want to risk killing my engine.

Result 154 bhp at the wheels @Just over 5k rpm, should see over 200 on return. And on journey home engine felt a lot snappier and about the same top end power......

So that explains the missing 1.5+ secs the car was missing 50+ of its horses!

After that explanation of power or lack of, I'll be entering as sportsman this weekend and not pro I'm not doing the may bank hol @ shakey so fingers crossed come the summer nationals @ pod it'll be a pro entry.

Anyway I'm nearly ready, got racesuit boots and gloves (all fia app)saturday.
I've got a fire extinguisher 4 point harness & roll cage padding coming tomorrow, then I 'think' I'm ready to go.
It's amazing how time flies, I signed up for VWDRC 12 jan this year with 'not much to do to car' and now I've missed the 1st entry and this one is days away and I've got necessary parts arriving 2 days before racing :eek:

Oh and the trophey was for 'fastest aircooled car' gti spring festival :p

I will keep this thread ongoing and update with pics & vids

Race number is 102, cars /team name is 'Ex', this was my brothers online alterego and he'd love to have been a part of it.

Come say hello if your about :)

Soldato
I'll be at Big Bang Saturday and Sunday watching over the off road track. I'll pop over and see how you're doing.

What time are you racing and how many runs will you make?

Soldato
OP
(and stop snoozing on the line...)

yeah, what can I say :rolleyes:

good pic!

Sorry it's taken a while to get to this update.

Anyway my first event was wicked LOVED it :D

The difference in a full prepped track is WOW GRIP!
1st run 14.94/95.04mp/h a bit off my previous averages due to grip on start line, pretty much before not giving a hard launch cos it'd just spin, so this time as before but hello GRIP! so kinda stall a little on start and then let revs build up again.
2nd run more welly 14.24/95.72 1/4 sec off prev average new PB.
now that was better well happy, only thing wastegate had sheered off at exhaust only held in place by about a cm of weld! Iain one of your SE mates had a TIG so would do it when they went on the cruise - result! / had to take header off though he couldn't weld in situ!
now only thing is qualifying was to start so I needed to do a run no matter how bad just to qualify, so we tied the wastegate up to stop in bouncing down the track and did a noturbo qualifing run:
3rd 15.63 / 89.06 mp/h pretty quick concidering would only be 100/110 hp
stripped back end off car and handed header over, went back hr later very nicely welded up / weirdly another turbo engined beetle suffered the same thing that eve, luckily his was a buggy and only needed to drive his round to get welded up.
Decided to fit in the morn as was getting dusky and drink was about.
Next morning RAIN -Boooo!
It stopped we fit the header and off we go, only thing is it's midday now and we know only have one more qual run when there was going to be about another 3
4th run 14.14/95.04 another PB well well happy now only 1 1/4 sec off pro with a good 50/60 hp to come from engine yet.
In eliminations now
5th run poop 16.24/90.33 with a dial in of 14.00 plug leads that were due to turn up bofore the race didn't and the rubbish ones let me down so only running on 3! I did do out to the finalist, so may well have gone out 1st round anyway.
I was well happy with the weekend, had a fantastic time and 2 PB's

Next one for me is summer nationals @ pod 19/20 june

hopefully by then car will have the extra horses and nothing will break off and I have the magnecor leads now so no more dodgey leads!

Another wey cool thing about it is with your racers pass you can get to the start/slip lane and watch it unfold from there, a very very good place to be.

There is a electric beetle 'blackcurrant III' watch it, thing is WOW :eek:
watching it do silent burnouts is weird, the thing launches and goes like ????
It's beaten the leaded battery world record and is on top of the lith battery record, it runs leaded batts, its a very very impressive car and look fantastic

youtube black current III
more

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Burn out!
4721943426_a7d6d7babe.jpg

RNJ Car of the meeting
4725000878_00327d8f3d.jpg

Runner up podium
IMG_4038sn10dj.jpg

For it to end like that from where it started was just fantastic!

Friday :
rolling road, not at all good running like a bag off poop but does have 208 bhp now - came away broken limped home
Got home done some checks 'luckily' it had only dropped a lash cap & 'luckily' it hadn't found its way into the timing/oil gearing, unluckily it didn't come out with draining the oil, oil out, deep sump off couldn't find it, routed about the main sump for about 15mins with a magnetic thingy, just about to give up 't' got it!, re-assembled it all took it for a run check all OK - OK! (about 10pm now)

Saturday :
'Should' have been there yestaday evening, sign on @ 7am scrutineering @ 8am, got up 5:30 done a supermarket sweep round the garage collecting tools clothing etc, get there for 7 sign on, quick unpack upto scrutineering, big que got in only to find my sign on slip hadn't been stamped, run 1/4 to get it stamped run 1/4 mile back get scrutineered - all OK, just we've been called to fire up, so straight down to the strip.

1st run iffy a lot of wheel spin, this was due to me running around like a **** and not taking air out of tyres and winding the rear shocks to hard.

2nd run iffyer now I'd sorted the above, but gave less revs at launch to avoid previous spin, just now cos its all been sorted out it bogged down.

3rd run wicked, good launch & run, ran a 13.95 with a 13.90 dial in = number on qualifer + PB

Sunday :
4th run, even better, was a bye so just went for it 13.64 another PB
5th run / semi's won over the guy who put me out 1st round last time!
6th run / lost out but runner up!!

Then get back to pit area and the 'RNJ Motorsport car of the meet' had been awarded to me! This is voted on by all the other vwdrc'ers at the meeting for achievement of one thing or another!, so very very chuffed with that!

So for it to end from where it began, not even thinking I'd be racing I was absolutely pleased as bunch :D

Next round Bug jam santa pod 23-25 july / the big one :D

Soldato
OP
I've had the engine out as compression was a bit down on 1, turns out the exhaust valve had concaved a little, so new exhaust valves all round, dual springs, cro-mo retainers and race collets.
Heads were an total ball ache to re-assemble.
I've painted the cage & rear luggage compartment too, so that looks a lot smarter.
Engine is 99% ready to put back in + few other little bits to sort, should be back on it's wheels again by the end of tomorrow.
See what effect that has on performance, won't have time for rolling road ......

Then Bug Jam next weekend, VERY looking forward to it :D

Soldato
OP
Engine is all in and running.
I checked compression whilst easy to do so and all ok all in the 145psi ball park.
good productive weekend just need to put the wheels back on, mod the shifter, wire in the launch control so about 1/2hrs work and take for a spin. :)

I'll be at Bug Jam. We've got a new off road course now.

Yeah looks like a decent course, a bit bigger now we had our tent there at the summer nationals, Jay & Lewis were running around the track (checking it out for you ;) )
See you there :D

May see you down there later on in the year. Rob at RNJ is my uncle by marriage.

Looking foward to seeing major lucky and his Mk2 Golf run.

Come say hello!
Can't say enough good words about judgie top man, polly's real quality too :D

Soldato
OP
Open sports national @ shakey was an experience ;)
held no 1 qualifier for a time ended up 3
ran a pb of 13.029, didn't make a 12 / dutted!!
out 1st round of elims mainly due to a stuff up with my dial in time being over 2 secs quicker than stated on my window - oh well they stuffed it up but i accepted it by going to stage - that won't happen again!!

Oh yeah nealy forgot I entered as pro.

Soldato
OP
Last meet of the season @ pod, national finals this weekend - can't wait :)

I NEED a 12 by the end of this season, last few meets had clutch slip, hopefully thats been adjusted out and I've only .030secs to make up

Soldato
OP
Been busy starting my own business early part of this year, so haven't done any racing........yet ;)
As long as I don't run out of time(details in my build thread) I'll be racing at the summer nationals 25/26th June.
Can't wait to get back on track, hopefully I'll get that 12 :)

Back
Top Bottom