Wait for new models in new year or buy now?

Associate
Hi all,

I need some advice as I'm in a pickle and struggling to make a decision.

I currently use a Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus (old I know).

I have been researching new models to upgrade to and my options have come down to the following:

• Xiaomi Mi 10 5G / PRO 5G (though pro is not in stock anywhere currently)
  • OnePlus 8 PRO
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 5G
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G
However, as much as there are deals for the latter models currently; I have learnt that newer models are due out around FEB 2021.

Should I wait for FEB 2021 and get a newer model upon release or buy now with current models on offer?

What would you do?

Budget is no real issue. Data wise - Hardly use above 300mb in a month. I buy the phones out-right. I do not go for contracted phones. Sim free only.

Though because I use a smartphone only for general web browsing, email on the go, occasional video and digital radio; I cannot justify having a mega expensive one. Camera wise, I am a competent DSLR user so I tend to take that for photos; therefore I am not fussed about camera either tbh.

I have heard the OnePlus OS is great and have had friends recommend that.

Gutted at the Xiaomi Mi 10 offer! I was not aware of that :(

Apple is a no go for me. I dislike their ethics.

I understand re the prices being high when they are released and accept that.

I do plan on keeping this new phone for roughly the same amount of time - 4-5 years? Unsure on the latter.

No issues with performance on the S5 Plus - well minus initially turning on wifi and getting a ton of YouTube notifications (wish Google would sync the notifications between devices or bring back email notifications).

Back
Top Bottom