• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Waiting For Ethereum Price To Drop So I Can Buy a GTX 1070

Associate
So in the continuing saga of the wait for Ethereum prices to drop & stocks of 1070 GPU's to be replenished I have developed an addiction. Watching the price of Ethereum (drop) here
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ethereum/

I'm not sure my new addiction is helpful or healthy but i can't stop checking it. Today we are in the 210's yesterday it was 220's

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Were doing a deal tomorrow on This Week Only, which will see a basic 1070 go just under £400.

You need to remember the pro farms are not just mining one currency, we still see demand as being very high but also at the same time supply is generally improving, though its still tight.

Associate
Were doing a deal tomorrow on This Week Only, which will see a basic 1070 go just under £400.

You need to remember the pro farms are not just mining one currency, we still see demand as being very high but also at the same time supply is generally improving, though its still tight.

Any deals coming up for the 1080ti?

Associate
OP

True about the farms, a lot will switch if it becomes unprofitable. I doubt this is the last we will see of cryptocurrency mining causing problems for us gamers.

Re 1070 deal, don't toy with me :D
I'm being pretty picky though I'm thinking Asus Strix GTX 1070 (not the OC one) That is over 500 squideroos everywhere. I'm using an old GTX 285 at the moment. It runs nothing......

EDIT Etherium has stayed below the $210 mark in the $200s for two hours :D

Last edited:
Soldato
True about the farms, a lot will switch if it becomes unprofitable. I doubt this is the last we will see of cryptocurrency mining causing problems for us gamers.

Re 1070 deal, don't toy with me :D
I'm being pretty picky though I'm thinking Asus Strix GTX 1070 (not the OC one) That is over 500 squideroos everywhere. I'm using an old GTX 285 at the moment. It runs nothing......

EDIT Etherium has stayed below the $210 mark in the $200s for two hours :D

Old gtx 285 is fine for watching the Eth price market all day :)

Associate
OP
Old gtx 285 is fine for watching the Eth price market all day :)
Sadly that is all it is good for. It is the last old part of my rig ( I upgraded everything recently) apart from a few fans I scavenged from my old case.
I've waited so long now to get a decent card that I don't even know what I'll play once I do get a 1070

Associate
I too have started looking into the whole Ethereum craze ... I think the present thing is a bit of a fad.. specially for the at home miner, but if your not paying for the power , then that makes it a lot more profitable. But all these currencys , monero dash zcash litecoin altcoin .. they cant all be successful.
I suppose if you would already buy the hardware, then the only additional cost is the leccy. It'll be interesting to see what happens .. the real losers are people selling genuine gaming used cards s/h, as nobody will believe them.

OcUK Staff
I too have started looking into the whole Ethereum craze ... I think the present thing is a bit of a fad.. specially for the at home miner, but if your not paying for the power , then that makes it a lot more profitable. But all these currencys , monero dash zcash litecoin altcoin .. they cant all be successful.
I suppose if you would already buy the hardware, then the only additional cost is the leccy. It'll be interesting to see what happens .. the real losers are people selling genuine gaming used cards s/h, as nobody will believe them.

At home miners are not the issue, it is the big boys who are starving the market. We have pro miners call us daily and in short saying I've got 50-100k to spend with you, what have you got? These are most definetely not at home miners, they are also typically not based in the UK. The weak pound also makes it quite attractive for them to buy from UK.

Soldato
Sadly that is all it is good for. It is the last old part of my rig ( I upgraded everything recently) apart from a few fans I scavenged from my old case.
I've waited so long now to get a decent card that I don't even know what I'll play once I do get a 1070

Don't waste 400-500 quid on a 1070, either now or if the bubble bursts. You might as well wait to see what happens now as a 1070 is nowhere near worth that price for gaming.

Associate
OP
Don't waste 400-500 quid on a 1070, either now or if the bubble bursts. You might as well wait to see what happens now as a 1070 is nowhere near worth that price for gaming.
I have no intention of buying until the prices drop. And Etherium is still dropping but I think it will be ages yet before things are affordable again

Soldato
I have no intention of buying until the prices drop. And Etherium is still dropping but I think it will be ages yet before things are affordable again

I don't think 1070 prices will recover at all now, right up to whatever it's replacement is, in fact that may also now be this price as well. Nvidia might see it as a perfect opportunity to bump up the pricing seeing as everyone is still buying them at £100 more than they should be.

Soldato
I've tried to find the answer online a few times, but I still don't understand how running an algorithm on your PC, generates money?

---

This is a good video, still not sure where it gets it's value from though.

Last edited:
Soldato
At home miners are not the issue, it is the big boys who are starving the market. We have pro miners call us daily and in short saying I've got 50-100k to spend with you, what have you got? These are most definetely not at home miners, they are also typically not based in the UK. The weak pound also makes it quite attractive for them to buy from UK.
Why would the pound being weak attract buyers? It only forces the price up even more.

Back
Top Bottom